Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What travel accessories do I NEED before Paris trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-travel-accessories-do-i-need-before-paris-trip-596014/)

Heavens Mar 3rd, 2006 09:08 AM

What travel accessories do I NEED before Paris trip?

Hi all. Haven't been to Europe in, OMG, about 15 years. About five years ago we had a house fire and lost all of my travel gear for Europe. Need to replace now. So here is the question. What MUST I have to take with me to Paris to make my life easier??? Two pronged plug? Converter? Adapter? I am ignorant on this now so need the review. And is there a good site/store to get these things all in one place?

I was a girl scout years ago and do like to be prepared for these trips so life can be comfortable and pleasant. Any items, tips, comforts that you have found and take on your trips I would be glad to hear about. Thanks for your time.

Christina Mar 3rd, 2006 09:26 AM

well, yes, you would need an adapter if you intend to take any appliances that need one (which is a two-pronged plug). Otherwise, you wouldn't even need that. You don't need a converter if you have dual-voltage appliances, which I would highly recommend if you are planning on taking a bunch of electronic equipment.

Other than that, there isn't anything in particular I think you need for Paris specifically versus any other place. I think we've had a few threads recently on some medication issues, and it is generally advised if there is some particular brand or product you really like and might use, it would be best to take it with you (like Pepto Bismo).

Heavens Mar 3rd, 2006 09:53 AM

How about a money belt kind of thing? How do you guys carry your money when over there?

Are most hair dryers duel voltage these days? Or is this a special kind of hair dryer I need to get?

capmunn Mar 3rd, 2006 09:57 AM

A money belt is essential. Usually I wear the belt-type one, under my clothes. Also, if you plan to be travelling often to the continent, it may be cheaper (and less bothersome) just to buy a hair dryer or curling iron over there.

suze Mar 3rd, 2006 10:07 AM

Just depends your personal preferences and style. I don't need adapters or converters because I take nothing that uses electricity. I carry my documents, money, passport in a small leather purse/pouch, that goes into my normal pocketbook.

If you want to check out some travel specific accessories TravelSmith, Magellens, and even Lillian Vernon mail order have a good selection. Or visit a luggage store where you'll also usually find items like packing cubes, money belts and pouches, neck pillows, etc.

My favorite recent addition is a set of 3 clear plastic cosmetic bags. Great for organizing your carry-on tote.

Heavens Mar 3rd, 2006 10:20 AM

Hi suze. Thanks again for pushing me to the Europe board. It is great here. I have learned so much. What a great group of folks, and so helpful.

Where did you buy your clear plastic bags if you don't mind sharing? I love clear plastic bags. Thanks.

GSteed Mar 3rd, 2006 10:21 AM

Try some emailing and find a local contact! Paris...Come with nothing, anything you need or want is available.

cigalechanta Mar 3rd, 2006 10:34 AM

Like Suze I pack as light as possible that means only necessities like favorite shampoo and a large bar of fav soap because the bars there are small.
I use zip lock bags for lipsticks toothbrush, paste, and anything else that is small. A travelers wallet that holds my passport, documents cards and euros go into my shoulder bag that I wear bandoliere style in front. Don't take more than you can carry. The metro passages can be very long with many steps and just putting the carry-on overhead can be difficult.

suze Mar 3rd, 2006 11:14 AM

Just from a drug store (Bartells or Walgreen). I use them more as wallets or organizers, rather than cosmetics.

Another thing that works great for me is a plastic pencil case like meant to put in 3-ring binders. They are clear on the front colored plastic on the back. Perfect size for small flat paperwork. Look for them in school supplies.

ira Mar 3rd, 2006 11:22 AM

Hi H,

A compass.

laclaire Mar 3rd, 2006 11:27 AM

I still don't see why a money belt is essential. If you are taking money out at the ATM and using credit cards, then you have no reason to have so much cash on you at any one time that you would need to stuff it down your pants.

Check for comfortable shoes threads, as they are helpful and the footwear is essential.

Have so much fun!

wombat7 Mar 3rd, 2006 11:31 AM

Plastic wrap anything that leaks
Handy medicine chest - I have a travel soap dish that I use - put all meds in there and leave it in there - that way it is always read to go

Heavens Mar 3rd, 2006 12:07 PM

Wow you guys are great. I have been wondering about this too. We leave on April 22 for Dublin, spend fivish days there, then on to Paris, 7 or 8 days there with a side trip to Normandy. I am thinking it isn't likely that we will have time for laundry. Staying in a small hotel in Paris, and b and b in Bayeux. How would you all pack this? Plan to wear jeans two days? Problem with this is they are stretch jeans and lose their shape by the end of the day. Take enough for a shirt a day with one or two dressy? Anyway, very mundane, but it has been on my mind who to do.

suze Mar 3rd, 2006 01:04 PM

I only pack clothes that can be worn several times without needing laundry. If those jeans are 1-day wonders, I wouldn't take them on a trip myself.

For tops I think silk or cotton knits and layering. Shake out outer layers and hand & air them after wearing. Also I'm not afraid to pay for laundry or dry cleaning a couple essential items thru a hotel service even though it's kind of expensive.

I only pack pieces that mix & match, that I really really like, and that I feel good putting on in the morning. Try on everything right before you pack to make sure it's a keeper.

suze Mar 3rd, 2006 01:05 PM

hang & air 'em

StLSusan Mar 3rd, 2006 01:29 PM

I suspect most long time travelers have gotten over our American idea that anything that touches our skin must be fresh and clean each day.
A shower and deodorant and good airing of tee tops and pants works wonders and does not bother me at all. I plan to wear most items 3 times.
You'd be amazed at how liberating this is at packing time.
I am going with a 22" & a tote to carry-on.
We are lucky this time as will have w & d in our 2 week rental so I will take even less. I take all knits and roll in suitcase and almost 100% black. A couple of toppers/jackets/ big shirts in a color. (Beige/olive)(LOL)
My "dress" outfit is one of the all black outfit(s) and special scarf/stole.
2 pair of shoes..likely will wear a pair of Crocs and take a pair of leather oxfords (Ecco).
A few pr of underwear (nylon) and sox.(6 max)
Will likely wash out undies every nite so I plan on that..takes 3 minutes.
Carry a tube of Woolite for all basin wash/rinsing.

cchottel Mar 17th, 2006 01:16 PM

Ira, thank you for saying compass. I thought I was the only one who did this when traveling in cities. I had always used a compass in the forest, after many trips to cities where it is easy to get turned around, I thought, why not? I find it so easy when you walk out of the Metro or Tube station, or whenever you get turned around, to lay the compass down on your pocket map, turn in the right direction, and head toward where you are going. This method allows you to carry a smaller less obvious map with less detail, too.

I use a very small, inexpensive compass that is actually on the back of a whistle with a keychain. I keep it in my pocket or attach it to the strap of my purse.

grsing Mar 17th, 2006 01:37 PM

I also bring a compass (actually a far better one than I really need for getting around a city, it's plenty good enough for finding my way through the wilderness, which it has done many a time when I was an active boy scout). As for clothes, it's really your decision as to how many times you can comfortably wear an item of clothing before it needs to be washed (that boy scouting made me rather tolerant; I'm planning on 2 pairs of pants for a month, you'll probably need somewhat more than that).

walkinaround Mar 17th, 2006 01:46 PM

i wear things over and over when i travel. suze has it right...airing something overnight does wonders. a quick rinse of a shirt or underwear is all you need when it doesn't feel so fresh anymore. i see no reason to take laundry detergent for a trip of less than a few weeks.

less is more when it comes to accessories. forget all the travel cubes, neck pillows, etc.

the one thing that is indepensible for me is one of those fold out toilet bags...the kind that folds up small but can be hung on a hook or door knob...all your stuff is available and easily accessed as if it were in a medicine cabinet.

grsing Mar 17th, 2006 01:50 PM

Agreed on the utility of ditty bags; they keep everything much more organized and easily accessible.