Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What towns do you think are the best of Chianti? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-towns-do-you-think-are-the-best-of-chianti-871802/)

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 10:08 AM

What towns do you think are the best of Chianti?

I was wondering what you all thought were the best towns in Chianti and why? Here are the impressions I received from my guidebook. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

1) Panzano - labeled the prettiest town in Tuscany.
2) Greve - largest town
3) Gaiole - also labeled pretty and charming
4) Castellina/Radda - tiny villages

Out of these towns, which ones do you feel are MUST SEES? My plan is to do Chianti in the morning and early afternoon and then head over to San Gimi in the late afternoon (after the tour buses have left and into the dusk time.)

HappyTrvlr Jan 3rd, 2011 10:29 AM

It is very easy to see them all..Drive on the "Chiantigiana", a two lane road heading north towards Florence and you'll pass through several of them. Radda and Gaiole are on an adjacent connecting road through the hills. Have lunch in one of the towns; visit Ceramiche Rampini in Radda to purchase beautiful pottery.Look at www.chianti.com for more ideas. We've stayed in Castellina in Chianti twice and used it as a base for exploring Siena and north.I can't imagine not doing a driving tour through this area of hills and vineyards when you are staying nearby in Siena. I don't know how many days you're staying in Tuscany, however on other days you could visit San Gimi and Volterra,and, of course, Florence.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 11:06 AM

Do you think I will have time to visit all 5 Chianti towns and then still head to San Gimi in the late afternoon?

lesvince05 Jan 3rd, 2011 11:09 AM

I stayed at the Villa Pecille in Panzano in June 2010. I loved the area. Luckily the Villa Pecille was within walking distance to the town of Panzano. Very picturesque. The town square was very nice. The town had excellent restaurants and gorgeous scenery. In the future, I plan on returning to the Villa and touring the Chianti area more extensively.

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2011 11:20 AM

Look at your map. The main road to Poggibonsi and San Gim. runs from Castellini. Since you do not have time for all of them I would drop Greve and Gaiole and plan to drive from Castellini.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 11:31 AM

Bob - okay, I am looking at the map and tell me what you think of this plan:

Start in Siena (obviously) and drive north to Panzano and then south to Castellina and then west to San Gimi.

So, if I drop Greve and Gaoile - I am not missing anything spectacular....

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2011 11:36 AM

It is all spectacular---you need to manage your time.
To me, Castellini and Panzano are the preferable.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 12:37 PM

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

Does anyone have restaurant recommendations for a place in Panzano or Castellini that have outdoor seating overlooking the countryside?

mr_go Jan 3rd, 2011 01:11 PM

bob: <i>...you need to manage your time.</i>

Folks, this guy's my dad. Do you have any idea how many times I heard this phrase during my adolescence?

(Happy new year, big guy.)

CaliNurse Jan 3rd, 2011 01:41 PM

Seriously, Mr Go? We all love your Dad!!!!

cathies Jan 3rd, 2011 01:45 PM

We stayed in a villa just outside Castellina and thought it was a great little village. Really pretty.

mr_go, that's funny!

aussie_10 Jan 3rd, 2011 02:13 PM

mr_go, how cool to have bobthenavigator as your Dad. I bet you always have the best planned holidays!

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2011 02:21 PM

He and Ms_Go plan their own trips and do it VERY well.
Check out their many trips at www.onelittleworld.com

Sher Jan 3rd, 2011 02:44 PM

A little chip off the old block, Bob?

zoecat Jan 3rd, 2011 02:45 PM

<<Does anyone have restaurant recommendations for a place in Panzano or Castellini that have outdoor seating overlooking the countryside?>>

Il Vescovino: Via da Panzano, 9, located at the top of Panzano on a little street to the left of the church, Tel: 055-8560152, Closed Tuesday.

Trattoria Oltre il Giardino: Piazza G. Bucciarelli 42, Panzano. Tel: 055-852828, www.ristoranteoltreilgiardino.it, Closed Monday.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 02:46 PM

What a neat website! It is the perfect little traveling family. Bob and son and family should be the models for Fodors. :)

bobthenavigator Jan 3rd, 2011 03:27 PM

And, their photo galleries are not to be missed.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 04:36 PM

Zoecat - thanks for the restaurant recommendations!

mamcalice Jan 3rd, 2011 04:45 PM

We stayed between Greve and Panzano this fall and ate twice at Oltre il Gardino and once at Vescovino in Panzano. Both were wonderful. Try to have lunch on the terrace at Oltre il Gardino overlooking the countryside - beautiful! We loved Panzano. The area around the little town square is lovely. If you have a chance, spend a little time there. It would be more rewarding to spend your time in one or two towns than to race to see all of them. The countryside around Greve and Panzano is lovely and there are several vineyards to visit if you have a chance.

JillDavis Jan 3rd, 2011 05:21 PM

So, it is decided! The two Chianti towns I will see in the morning are Panzano and Castellina and then I will head over to San Gimi in the late afternoon for a gelato. I hear the world champions of Gelato are there.

I will stop for lunch perhaps at Gardino on the terrace in Panzano. Then, perhaps find a winery in either of those two towns?

Thank you so much for all your responses.