Search

Questions on European A2 Licensing.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on European A2 Licensing.

Hello travellers !

I am currently a resident in British Columbia, Canada. I am leaving to Germany in early April, and would like to get my A2 License in Germany (or within reach). Currently have my "N" drivers license in BC, with only a few months left until a full license. Looking to get a Triumph Scrambler (limited), and have the money saved up for the bike and license. The biggest kicker is time. I will be in Germany for 3-5 months (depending on how difficult it is to acquire a work visa) and will be returning to Europe after some loose ends are tied up at home. Looking to have my full A2 within the first month of arrival for work and travel. How far fetched is this idea? And any info or suggestions would be well appreciated !
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 09:50 PM

I don't know how it is in Germany but for an A2 in the Netherlands you have to pass a theory exam and two driving tests. You have to go through a driving school for all of that. The toughest part for you would be the theory test, learning all the rules of the road and taking a test. I believe you can take it in English here, but I don't know if that is an option in Germany.
I am assuming you are over 20, or you can't get an A2 anyway. Over 24 you might as well go straight for an A and be done with it.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:06 PM

Hi CooperCrazy,

I'm an American who got a German license a few years ago. My US license had expired, but I had 40 years of driving experience, so I got the abbreviated course (fewer driving practices).

It took me 3 months. And 1,600€. No, that's not a typo.

Yes, you have to sit through 21 hours of classroom training. The classes & films were in German, but the study book with all the rules is in English, and there is a CD with practice theory tests, all in English. Then, you can take the theory test in English. After that, you get the driving practice, and I only had to do about 9 hours of that to show competency in highway driving, city driving, night driving, country driving, parking, etc. Then I took the test.

I believe (but am not certain) that there is a way to exchange a valid driving license for a German one -- hopefully someone will be able to post more information about that here (or you can try to google the answer). But to do that, you'd have to wait until you have your full license.

Good luck finding a workable solution!

s
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the timely replies. Frankly, as long as the license is valid for Europe in its entirety, I"m not too picky where I take it. I am the correct age for the A2 license. My Canadian license is actually valid for 6 months after arriving in Germany (with the translation and full license) but the bike is simply the icing on the cake . I've wanted to ride the Amalfi Coast since I was a kid, and I couldn't imagine a better way to experience it. I most likely won't stop until I find some way, even if that means investing a fair amount of money and time into it. But...... the quicker I get it, the better.

One last question, what other qualifications do I need in order to get an A2 license? Do I need to be a permanent resident in Germany ? With a work visa and/or residence permit ?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 12:28 AM

Swandav, I assume that was for a B - car licence, not an A motorbike licence?

Cooper, have a look at http://www.expatica.com/de/about/How...ce_100905.html

You have to be registered as a resident in the country in which you take your test or exchange your licence.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 12:47 AM

You can use your Canadian license in Germany for up to 6 months before having to switch over to a Führerschein.

You need to see what kind of reciprocity Germany has with BC because the hoops you have to jump through to get your Führerschein might not be so bad. I mention this because each state in the US has a different reciprocity agreement with Germany (if you have a Georgia license, you have to take the full classroom and road training plus the exams, if you are from North Carolina then you only need to take the written exam, and if you are from Virginia you only have to pay the fee). It's weird but that's how it is.

If you have a car license with a motorcycle endorsement, things might be trickier -- a friend of mine had the car + motorcycle license and he to choose whether he wanted his Führerschein for auto or motorcycle (in this instance they were not going to give him both). He chose auto and later took the motorcycle training course to get the endorsement.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij2, I actually passed by that article earlier, and never gave it a thorough read.The internet has led to believe that I can take my A2 license with a temporary residence permit and visa. I just need to find work right after arrival, and get them to sign off on the required forms. If I really need to, I fly back to Canada for 3 months, and make another trip.

I heard somewhere that the A2 can be between 700-1200 euro, and get even more expensive if extra ride time is needed.

I wonder how much pricier the "A" license is compared to the A2.

Thanks for all the help, beers are on me !
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

And sparkchaser, thanks for the tip ! I'll look more into that, and even maybe make a call to the Consulate. Perhaps there's some loophole I could work around. But so far, for the research I've done, I've totally skipped getting my motorcycle license here, because its worthless in Germany.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 02:35 AM

The full A licence probably doesn't cost any more than the A2, especially if you are already a motorcyclist.
You could probably find the prices online at various driving schools.

My son went straight for his A. A motorbike is his only means of transport on land. Since he is on the water for 7-8 months of the year it is cheaper for him than a car.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 03:41 AM

You don't need a special endorsement for a scooter. So you can always use that as a fall back in case you are unsuccessful.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 07:21 AM

I don't know how you'll go about getting a temporary residence permit if you arrive in Europe without a job, unless you're a citizen of an EU country. In all the European countries I know you have to have a job offer before arriving, and the employer has to prove he couldn't find a native citizen to do the job.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 11:31 AM

^^^^
Good point.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

bvlenci, I looked it up, I can actually get my work permit after I arrive in Germany, within the given 3 month period after my arrival. Canada has some sort of treaty with Germany when it comes to this. Almost like a visitors permit, that can be furthered into a work visa if the need arises. All I need when I arrive to Germany my passport. I am led to believe (info from an inside source) I can acquire the temporary residence permit after I acquire a work visa (after hopefully finding work) within the 3 month period. sparkchaser, the scooter idea is actually fantastic. I might just do that for a while. However, a scooter seems more like a city vehicle rather than something that can be used on the Autobahn, so travel is a little bit more restricted. Fantastic idea though.

I'll call around once I get there, and see if I can find a reasonable offer on a course.

I really, truly appreciate the help... Thanks guys.
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 09:12 PM

Yup, hetismij2, my license was B for an auto, not for a motorcycle.

s
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 10:39 PM

<i>However, a scooter seems more like a city vehicle rather than something that can be used on the Autobahn, so travel is a little bit more restricted. </i>

It's not so restrictive as there are secondary roads that you can take which will take a bit longer but get you there nonetheless and give you a far better landscape.