COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What town is a pleasant homebase not far from Shannon Airport?

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Darlene Mahaney

My husband and I (and 2 year old son) have free tickets to Ireland which we can't pass up, but we'll be on a BUDGET. We've done the Ring of Kerry and Dublin; all we're looking for this trip is a nice town not too far from Shannon (we don't want to rent a car); we'd like to take public transportation--bus? train? taxi?-- to an interesting town on the coast. Don't know if we should go to Galway area or down to Dingle. We want to find cheap digs (I assume B &Bs), go for walks on the beach or by the cliffs, lunch in pubs, fish or hike, and take occasional excursions outside the town if our budget permits. Any recommendations on a friendly town that would hold your interest for a week in August and convenient enough for us to get to (and suggestions for affordable lodgings)? Thank you.

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Lori

I rented a car in Ireland, so I'm not sure about the public transportation...but my brief stay in Galway was wonderful! I stayed at a terrific B&B for less than $30/night right on Galway Bay (off-season). I did notice busses all over the place. Galway is incredibly charming, and you might spend a day taking a bus tour of Connemara. I also briefly visited Lough Rea, a little tiny Irish village a bit inland from Galway. I haven't heard great things about the locations closer to Shannon, such as Limerick, so you might want to do your best to get to Galway. The West Irish landscape is truly breathtaking; you'll love it!

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Isabel

Hi Darlene,

If your thinking about it, go to Galway. It's a pretty little town. There is a street of of B&B's within walking distance of the town's center. I think it's about 45min by taxi from Shannon. I'm not sure, because I went @ the end of Decembe.... it took almost 3 hours to get there by car because a snow storm. Less than 5 inches and the entire area was paralyzed!

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Cathy

Darlene,
See www.cie.ie for links to the bus and train web sites - these sites might help you plan your stay better and how you can travel around. I would advise looking into renting a cottage or house if you are staying for a week or so as 3 people in a B&B can be costly. See www.ireland.travel.ie for an idea of the cost of renting. You didn't mention when you are going - high season or low season. Galway would be a good place to stay and walk around and take day trips out of - try searching for the University College Galway web site as they have student apartments for rent during summer months - although they tend to fill up quickly.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Darlene Mahaney

Thanks for the tips--very helpful. I was intrigued with Ennis in County Clare while reading a new guidebook last night. Anyone have any experience there? Thank you again!

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Pat

Ennis is a pretty, busy little town but it's not on the water. I think it's about 20 miles from the coast and I don't think many tours are run from there. Not having a car is very limiting. Doolin is another tiny town right on the water near the Cliffs of Moher but I don't know that there is enough to there for a week. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants, lots of cottage or apartment rentals and a boat that services the Aran Islands - all within walking distance. Doolin is also known for traditional Irish music sessions in their pubs. As recommended above, I think Galway is a very good choice. Charming, on/near the water, plenty of day bus tours, lots of shopping, etc. Good luck

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:41 AM
ginny

Hi Darlene! I agree with above poster for "self-catering" if cost is a concern. You cannot beat it as far as that goes! Was in Galway area this past September and rented a beautiful 4 bedroom house on 7 1/2 acres of land for about 280 Irish pounds for a week. Call the Irish Tourist Baord for there "free" book on rentals all over Ireland. If Ennis is of ineterest, they have plenty of info for that area as well as other info for transportation if you do not want to rent a car.

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:53 AM
James

Just for informational purposes try "Doolincottages.com" They are a self-catering site but there is also lots of information about the surrounding area.