Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to wear while touring? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-while-touring-438947/)

tsrapp Jun 4th, 2004 07:39 AM

What to wear while touring?

There's a possibility I'll be spending a couple of days traveling alone in Switzerland. I'm trying to coordinate schedules with a fellow traveler, but we aren't having the best of luck yet so I don't know if we'll be able to or not.

Anyway, I want to make sure that when I am by myself or close to it, I don't stand out as an obvious tourist. Aside from my camera, which is too big to fit in my purse. ;)

So, what would you wear as a 28 y/o female in Switzerland?

Black jeans?
Blue jeans?
*NO* jeans at all, rather other kind of pants?
(I don't do skirts ;) )
T-shirts? With stuff on them (kittens, etc? But no US sites) or blank?
Blouses?
Does color / type of *socks* matter? I normally wear white cotton socks.

I know not to take white gym shoes. How about light tan or would *dark* tan be better? These are good walking shoes that are *not* a name-brand tennis. Look more like nursing shoes, really. I also have a pair of brown sandals that I was planning to take.

What about a purse? I normally carry a large purse and lately it's been one of those quilted types. Is that a big "no-no" in Switzerland?

Thanks!!

suze Jun 4th, 2004 08:33 AM

I am a solo female traveler and visit a friend who lives in Switzerland every other summer. You will stand out as a tourist with a camera too big to fit in your pocket book (!) seriously consider using a disposable, small digital, or 35mm point&shoot instead.

Jeans are fine but depending on the weather (Switzerland has been very hot the last 2 years) you might prefer docker-style khakis, drawstring linen, or cotton knit capris (I don't do skirts either). Take your white sneakers (especially if you're wearing white socks anyway it doesn't matter). Walking shoes and sandals would be good too. For tops, any kind of knits work for me (plain colors - tanks, t-shirt, one cardigan or jacket for layering).

Your purse sounds fine. I think it's better to use one that you are familiar with, instead of buying new for the trip. I always use my normal pocketbook. If yours is large, roomy and with a zipper or secure closure... I can't imagine why this is a no-no in Switzerland.

Because I stay with someone who lives there, you soon come to see things are basically the same as they are at home. Switzerland's just another place people live, so don't be particularly intimidated by visiting (is my best advice).

francophile03 Jun 4th, 2004 08:42 AM

Don't obsess so much about what color, what brand, etc.

As long as it's something that will not make you stand out it's okay. For example, don't wear shorts, baseball caps, tacky T-shirts, etc.

Grasshopper Jun 4th, 2004 08:46 AM

You're likely to look like a tourist no matter what you do, but the good news is, it really doesn't matter. I travel frequently by train in Switzerland by myself. It's the safest, easiest place to get around in all Europe (which is frankly all pretty safe).

Don't worry about what you wear. Wear what you would wear at home (unless you wear US flags across your chest). Be comfortable but neat. And don't worry about your camera. It's more important to have the pictures later than to worry about looking like a tourist!

MissZiegfeld Jun 4th, 2004 09:07 AM

i can't understand all the obsessing. just wear what makes you feel comfortable. they'll KNOW you're not from around there anyway. just like, as a new yorker, i can tell INSTANTLY if someone is A. visiting B. a native or C. a transplant. it's a gift.

just have a great trip. don't worry about your socks or shirts with kittens. just enjoy yourself.

i would put the camera away..about halfway through my most recent trip i decided the hell with it and just bought a backpack and used that instead of my purse. of COURSE i looked like a tourist, but who cares? i AM a tourist. just be responsible, watch your stuff, etc..

gracieb Jun 4th, 2004 09:34 AM

They are right. You'll look like a tourist because you are a tourist, but I am glad I pulled things out of the nicer section of my casual wardrobe. I was very glad I packed my black jeans with a bit of lycra in the fabric for comfort. Money and credit card stayed in the front pockets and everything else I thought I would need stayed in the backpack. I had a smaller than usual (for me) purse in the backpack for evening or dressier events. I kept anything with logos or Tshirts with sayings at home. The only "labeled" item was a windbreaker from Hawaii's Volcano Park that I tucked in at the last minute and I was very glad to have it on a night cruise that turned chilly. Everyone else on the cruise was a tourist so it didn't make a difference. I packed dark tennis shoes and my traveling companion had bright, new white tennies and it didn't make a difference to anyone at any time. I loved my "splurge" item - a pair of Mephistos. I wore them most of the time and am wearing them right now at home.
A shopkeeper in Shannon, Ireland knew I was from the states with only one syllable = "Hey" as I entered the grocery. I realized then that the minute I opened my mouth I would be pegged as a tourist. Wear what you have in your closet that is comfortable. Don't buy anything just for the trip - use that money in Switzerland!