What to wear to the Chelsea Flower Show?

May 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
TC
Original Poster

What to wear to the Chelsea Flower Show?

Does one simply dress in the most comfortable style -- lady's trousers, tee, jacket, trainers, hat or is the dress more smart? I am most concerned with shoes. As it could be a long day of walking/standing, I'd be most comfortable in something less smart (the New Balance running shoes), but I don't want to look like the cliched ugly tourist.

Advice???
May 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Wear whatever you are comfortable in. You won't be meeting the Queen so don't worry about it. There will be all sort there in all sorts of outfits.
May 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM

comfort should be at the top of your list. this is not the royal enclosure at Ascot.

and take a brolly.
May 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Agreed - wear your most comfy clothes and shoes; and none of us ever really sets out to look like the "cliched ugly tourist"...but we still manage to sometimes! Enjoy the day and the flowers, and do what I do: believe that in those surroundings, no one will notice OR CARE what I'm wearing.
May 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Wear your New Balance walking shoes. You will be on your feet the whole day. It is difficult to find a place to sit so be prepared. Not to mention the walk to and from the tube station. It is a great day, though. I've been three times over the years. Two times were cloudy and drizzling and one time was so hot people were spraulded on the grass, so check the weather report and dress accordingly. You really will enjoy it--nothing else can compare.
Margo
May 20th, 2011, 02:40 PM

take an expandable tote or carryall. You will pick up LOTS of brochures, flyers, and samples
May 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks all. Trainers, brolly and tote it is.

Margo,is the walk to/from the tube station quite long? I will be starting at the Hilton Hyde Park on Bayswater. Is it best to take the tube or a taxi?
May 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM

A cab will cost a fortune. Even though your hotel is near Queensway -- I'd walk a couple of blocks farther to the Bayswater station. Then you can jump on the circle line and not have to transfer.

From Bayswater to Sloane Sq takes less than 15 minutes an then a 10-15 minute walk into the flower show.

(if you want to use Queensway station - you'd go one stop to Notting Hill Gate and then transfer to the circle line. It would only take a few minutes longer)
May 21st, 2011, 01:49 AM

I suspect that there may be a bus that takes you closer, in fact according to the RHS website, you may have to get a bus as tube strikes are planned for that week!

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Shows-Events/R...r-visit/Travel

hope you enjoy yourself, nevertheless.