Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to wear to Italy in June/July if teenage girl??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Some girls and I(in mid-teens) are going to Italy during June/July and I was trying to find out what would be appropriate to wear in Italy during June and July when I began to realise that it's alot more complex than it seems! Also noted that most info. seems to relate to people in their 20's or above. And I was wondering if someone could help us with what to wear if younger and if it was different, also if Birkenstock would be ok shoewear if alot of walking is going to be done. Also we're from Australia, so we don't know some of the brands mentioned in previous posts. Could you please help us all!!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My daughters have found that teens in Europe dressed almost exactly the same as teens in the U.S. Differences might be more noticeable in accessories and shoes than clothing. We would try to guess the nationality of school groups that we saw. Subtle differences exist; my daughter commented that American kids would be wearing more "hoodies", but probably not in July in Italy. I can't speak to Australian styles, however, and don't think we identified any Australian groups.

Birkenstocks should be fine.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:34 AM

Just got back from Italy and it's absolutely the truth that you will see everything! I am not speaking of the Italians, but all the tourist teens I saw dressed pretty much the way they did at home. Lots of sandals (Birkenstocks, flip flops, slides, everything), tank tops, t's, shorts, looked no different than being home. Only thing is some churhes do not allow bare shoulders - yet even with signs posted some people ignored. Some churches provided a paper cover, or buy yourself a scarf while there (about 6 euros) and drape over shoulders when going in. It will be hot and crowded - be comfortable. Forget knowing the brands - you probably have what you need right in your closet. (Save your money and shop in Italy!) Just have a way to secure your important belongings (tickets, passports, etc.) Have fun!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've noticed in Italy and Spain during the summers that the young girls wear linen slacks that are so thin and lightweight that you can see-thru some of them. It seems any type of top goes but mostly halter tops or spaghetti strap tops or tops that are very low cut with a lacy bra showing that comes up higher than the top in the front. As for shoes they usually wear more sytlish shoes but we saw alot of sandals last week in Barcelona. If you are going clubbing they tend to dress better than girls in the US where it seems jeans are the norm - not as casual.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Surprisingly...flats.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:06 AM

I'm 25 so not still a teenager, but my sister is still in college so I feel sort of qualified to reply. Also, we just got back from 2 weeks in Italy.

We saw young people wearing:

Jeans (tight, often with strategic holes in the legs or on the butt, often with embroidery or rhinestones on them. In other words - flashy trendy jeans, not boring plain jeans).

tops/shirts - tube tops, backless tops, halter tops, spaghetti strap tops... basically tops that left some skin showing

shoes - the severe pointy toed shoes are back in. We saw teens and women wearing pointy toe heels everywhere, though I probably wouldn't recommend them to a tourist who will be doing LOTS of walking.

What we did NOT see on any local teens - shorts. They were in either jeans or skirts.

Do be aware that you'll want to have some sort of pullover to throw on to cover your shoulders in order to go into any of the churches, as they have a pretty modest dress code.

Hope this helps - have a great time!

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
a good investment is one of those tie front sweaters in a thin cashmere or other fiber that you can toss in your bag when wearing a skimpy top and when you need to cover your shoulders you put it on. i bought mine through the Garnet Hill Catalog.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Remember, knees are an issue in some churches too. In addition to covering your shoulders, you should make sure your skirts go to the knee (shorts aren't a great idea at some churches).

If you're doing a Vatican/Basilica/church-free day, flaunt those legs!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I noticed on the study abroad kids that we saw frequently , that tiered/peasant skirts were huge w/ flip-flops and tanks. Heck I think girls that age can probably get away with nearly anything-youth is wasted on the young!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it's the same idea no matter what your age...

I take some of the nicer outfits that I usually wear, things that will be good for the summer temps, and pick ones that pack without wrinkling too much. I think Birkenstocks are just fine. No need to buy a new wardrobe for traveling.

As already mentioned, have something handy that you can slip on to cover more if you visit a church or cathedral.