Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to Wear So I Don't Stand Out (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-so-i-dont-stand-out-569024/)

milliondollarbbw Nov 5th, 2005 05:21 PM

What to Wear So I Don't Stand Out

I am planning a trip to Paris in December....was wondering what to wear that will keep me warm, but help me to not absolutely look like a tourist.

I will wear jeans since they are more comfortable for me, and some boots in case there is slow and slush. For warmth, I was thinking of plane zip up hoodies over a nice shirt....I worry that if I wear a sports parka that I will become easily overheated. Not to mention that I will look like the michelin man.

cigalechanta Nov 5th, 2005 05:29 PM

Wear whatever makes you confortable BUT an all weather coat will get you through rain or possible snow(it happens!!!) and still be ok for dinner in an upscale restaurant.

logos999 Nov 5th, 2005 05:33 PM

How about a pair of trousers, shoes, socks, and a parka. Doesn't need to have the german flag on it. Fruit of the loom underwear, of course!
That would look nice, wouldn't it?
Or you could dress like me!

milliondollarbbw Nov 5th, 2005 05:38 PM

The parka is an issue of money...I really don't want to buy a new coat that I wont wear in the states...also, I don't get cold very easily. I have a jacket (nylon parka) that I can wear if it does rain. For the days that don't rain, I am thinking of maybe some sort of a zip up hoodie with layered shirts underneath it.

rex Nov 5th, 2005 05:50 PM

The number one thing that broadcasts TOURIST is your <i>voice</i>. Presumably you will not speak French all the time. What you can control is that you should try to barely speak above a whisper - - which most Europeans do - - and most Americans cannot seem to learn to do.

Best wishes,

Rex

logos999 Nov 5th, 2005 05:50 PM

No need to worry, as nobody will care what you're wearing, why should they anyway?? Go buy all you need at Wal-Mart and you'll be fine. (We're not talking about skirts for men, right?)

Marilyn Nov 5th, 2005 06:02 PM

I'm not sure where you live now, but if you are considering taking nothing warmer than a cotton sweat shirt (hoodie) to Paris in December you may be in for a very cold awakening. It's called &quot;winter,&quot; and you need a jacket or coat of some sort.

Buy it at Target or Walmart or online on EBay or Craig's List or at a garage sale if you have to. Or borrow one from a friend. But don't go to Europe in December without a jacket. Please.

CatFancier Nov 5th, 2005 06:31 PM

I haven't been to Paris in winter, but have certainly read enough about it. It WILL be cold. You most likely won't need boots but definitely water-resistant shoes ...two pairs at least (if one pair really gets wet, you'll have another dry pair in the wings).

So many people have mentioned trench coats with a zip-out lining for versatility. Just make sure whatever you get is warm. They say the cold in Paris is very damp and penetrating.

Dark hues are always good there, with maybe a bright scarf to add a bit of color.

Just realized...don't know if you're male or female. Not sure about the trench coat if you're the former. (:

Have a great trip!

Nutella Nov 6th, 2005 03:35 AM

Don't speak above a whisper? They are vacationing in Paris, not going to a funeral! Sure, there are situations where decorum comes into play - a quiet restaurant for example. But not all restaurants are quiet, not even in Paris. The only time I make it a point to keep my mouth shut and tell my companions to do the same is when I feel our personal safety is at stake - for instance while walking down a desolate street at night. You don't want to call attention to yourselves. But otherwise, just have fun and be comfortable. Unless you're wearing your business outfit and dress shoes walking down the streets of Paris, you WILL look like a tourist or a student. And if your attire doesn't give you away, your map and guidebook will. BTW I see lots of European tourists in my US city, and they are more often than not, laughing, calling to eachother, louder than the locals, and gasp, dressed like tourists :)

Barbara_in_CT Nov 6th, 2005 03:49 AM

For the cold weather, use layers. I have a polartec hoodie and a goretex rain jacket. If it is really cold, wear both. Silk long underwear takes up no space, lasts for ever and is amazingly warm.

Boots are too bulky. Get a pair of Land's End All Weather Mocs in black. They are warm, have good traction, and are inconspicuous.

If you are going somewhere dressy, a black turtleneck sweater and black pants with an interesting scarf will keep you warm enough to dash between places (but not for an evening stroll)

walkinaround Nov 6th, 2005 04:01 AM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
What you can control is that you should try to barely speak above a whisper - - which most Europeans do - - and most Americans cannot seem to learn to do.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

reject this foolishness. speak as you normally would. i would give most americans the benefit of the doubt that they know when it is appropriate to talk softly (when visiting a church, etc).

these american europhiles are ashamed of their nationality and think that american voices are shameful and to be hidden. italians, greeks, spaniards, etc, etc also have a tendency to speak loudly...of course the europhiles see this as a delightful facet of the lively mediterranean culture...but see the same in americans as ugly and rude.

Christina Nov 6th, 2005 04:48 AM

I think you may not understand the climate in France. You shouldn't go to northern Europe in December with only a &quot;hoodie&quot; which is just usually a lightweight jacket or casual sweater or sweatsuit with attached hood. I wouldn't wear a hoodie, in general. I also wouldn't wear a sports parka in a city. Don't you have anything other than those two items of outerwear? Something more like a real coat or at least raincoat with zipout thick lining.

YOu probably will look like a tourist for various reasons, mainly what you are carrying around with you. I do not agree with Scarlett that everyone looks like a tourist (or student) who is not dressed in business clothes. Adult Europeans do not dress in business clothes all the time, even on weekends and at night.

PrincessOfPenguins Nov 6th, 2005 04:54 AM

How old are you? If you're under 40, go to the first H&amp;M or Zara you see and buy some clothes and jackets there and were them. Then you'll look just like everyone else in Europe...

platzman Nov 6th, 2005 05:13 AM

Most of my overseas friends have told me that they can spot an American by his shoes. Buy European shoes.

viaggio_sempre Nov 6th, 2005 05:54 AM

I'm doomed! I have Rockports for walking. My wife has Hotters from England. At least it'll look like I'm with someone from the fringe of Europe.:-d

Since were going in June, will we be okay? &gt;)

GSteed Nov 6th, 2005 06:56 AM

Suggestion: Discard the jeans/Levis: they are cotton and do not retain heat. Aquire loose fitting wool trousers/slacks. Buy long underwear, tops and bottoms: a ski shop. Be sure your shoes/boots are slightly oversize. Woolen socks/again ski shop. A turtleneck wool sweater will complete your costume. A light colored down filled full length coat will ensure comfort. You also need a stocking type wool cap. The cap may be necessary while trying to sleep if your room is cold. Filled vests are another comfort item you may consider. Read a bit about XC ski clothing.

Gardyloo Nov 6th, 2005 07:01 AM

Wear what you would wear to New York City in December.

Wet and dismal is more likely than snowy and slushy.

PrincessOfPenguins Nov 6th, 2005 07:02 AM

to milliondollarbbw: where are you from? A tropical location?

The suggestion XC clothes sounds like overkill. You're going to Paris and will probably be indoors (museums, caf&eacute;s etc. ) most of the time. It's not like you're going out for an arctic outdoors adventure!

PrincessOfPenguins Nov 6th, 2005 07:04 AM

Ooops, clicked post before I was done...

I was going to say &quot;then again, if you're from a place where the average temperature is 30 degrees all the time, then I guess you'll need arctic survival gear...&quot;

I stand out in Southern Europe because I wear a t-shirt when everyone else is bundled up in sweaters and thick coats...

degas Nov 6th, 2005 07:16 AM

Get yourself a WWII bomber jacket with a fur collar to wear over your velvet jogging suit and high top basketball shoes.