Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to wear Paris and Provence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-paris-and-provence-138430/)

CJ Jul 10th, 2001 07:55 AM

What to wear Paris and Provence

What should a couple wear and pack light for a 2 week trip. Suggestions for cool weather other than blazer,and wet weather. What kind of shoes do the people in Paris wear for walking. Is their such an item as microfiber mens underware?

elvira Jul 10th, 2001 08:35 AM

Silk is warm and cool <BR>Long sleeves (cotton knit or weave) <BR>Lightweight sweater that can be worn by itself or layered <BR>Extra socks, and two pair of shoes <BR>For wet weather, an umbrella (Totes makes one that weighs nothing) or waterproof jacket with a hood <BR> <BR>There is "travel underwear" for men; try Travelsmith or Tilley catalogues. <BR> <BR>Shoes: I prefer sturdy leather shoes in brown or black with THICK rubber soles. I can't wear hi-tops, so one pair of low-cut ties shoes and one pair slip ons. You'll see all kinds of footwear in Paris; wear what is comfortable for you.

Tom Jul 10th, 2001 10:12 AM

Spent several days in Florence and Ligurian coast. First, it is very hot. <BR>Silk, cotton and breathable fabrics cannot be beat. Wife and I saw sneaks and sandals everywhere, comfortable <BR>footwear cannot be stressed too much. <BR>If you can, try to keep it to a few <BR>basics but dress for the heat but be <BR>prepared for cool if you go in the hills. We were very leery about footwear and clothing but found that <BR>simple casual, dress up or down with <BR>accessories worked best. We stayed in <BR>a 4 star conservative hotel in Florence <BR>and saw Germans looking very spiffy at <BR>breakfast, some Swiss very laid back, <BR>other Europeans in (yes) jeans!! but not American types. Happy to share if you want to know more. Tom

Tom Jul 10th, 2001 10:16 AM

Chalk that Florence answer up to jet lag- just got back. Went to Paris, <BR>Aix, Nimes and Arles as well - and basically the same thing. The hotel in Aix tended to be a little more dressy. <BR>My wife and I agree that France more formal but nowhere did we find a lack of American type sandals or sneaks. Tom <BR>

xx Jul 10th, 2001 03:53 PM

You can find several styles of men's underwear in silk in the WinterSilks catalog. Very fast-drying (overnight) when doing the wash-in-the-sink-in-your-room number.

Jody Jul 10th, 2001 05:36 PM

Don't know about microfiber men's underwear, though I do know silk is wonderful, cool in summer and warm in winter. Whatever you do do not buy your poor husband nylon shorts, I did and I am still hearing about it after 15 years, not only that it didn't dry that quickly ( the elastic part) . I always hope for heated towel racks so the regular cotton stuff can be dried overnight. <BR>I find microfiber anything uncomfortble, great for purses but the clothing just does nothing for me!