Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to wear/pack in England/Scotland first two weeks of Sept.

Jul 8th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Wendy

Any body who lives in the UK or has traveled there in early fall, can you help me out? I like to pack light, but don't know what to expect re: the weather (except rain). For example, should I even bother packing any short-sleved shirts, or will it already be too cool? I know I'll need a sweater or two, and a raincoat, but will I need anything heavier? BTW, I'm a woman.

Jul 9th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Michele

Hi Wendy!
This time last year, my mother was visiting and it was so cold that I was having to give her sweats to sleep in. This past week has been so warm that ball boys and girls have been passing out at Wimbledon, so it is a bit hard to predict the weather!

Now having said that, my advise to you and anyone travelling anywhere that the weather can be unpredictable is to pack layers, then you are prepared for anything. For example, you could bring a few short sleeved shirts and have a couple of cardigans or sweaters to go with. And definitely bring a rain coat. Stick with one color scheme and then you can mix and match. Bring the jacket with you on the plane and it will really lighten up your suitcase.

Enjoy your trip!

Jul 9th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Tim

Hi Wendy, England is generally fairly warm at the start of September, and over recent years we have been having warmer weather later into the year. Sadly the rainfall is fairly unpredictable, so all weather gear is always essential. The climate in Scotland can vary greatly from that in England, and it tends to be a few degrees cooler most of the year, but is less prone to the rain showers that you get further south. The climate in the Highlands can change rapidly, as with all mountainous regions, and you should always prepare for this - the best way is to pack layers, but one good thick layer (eg a fleece) is always a good idea. However, if you are lucky you may get shorts and T-shirt weather, so always a good idea to include these with anything else you pack. Check the weather forecast before you come - www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ and if it looks like torrential rain before you come, pack a wetsuit!

Jul 9th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Wendy

Thanks for the input!

Jul 9th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Sheila

Wendy

The problem is there are no rules. It shouldn't be cold, but it might not be sunny. You won't need anything heavier than a couple of sweaters. Just layer.

Jul 9th, 2001, 07:53 AM
sylvia

It shouldn't be very hot in September, but is often very pleasant them. I'd agree with layers and a lightweight jacket preferably shower proof.

Jul 9th, 2001, 08:35 AM
julie

In England, layers always, plus an umbella handy always. Rooms often do not have central heat, and the Brits keep things cooler in general. I always assume it will be cool and damp, and if you get warm weather, can always buy a t shirt or two. i have only been to England once when it was actually HOT, and I have been many times.

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:51 AM
sylvia

Yes, take layers. British weather is just very changeable. Last week, here in the North West it was almost uncomfortably hot and humid with temperatures in the 30s. Today the max temperature is 20/68 and the minimum 18/64. Tomorrow the forecast is for max 18/64, not shorts and sleeveless top weather.
A good website is the BBC weather centre at http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Jul 10th, 2001, 03:20 AM
Samantha

Don't bring a lot of nice, new clothes that you're afraid to get wet, and don't bother schlepping a raincoat around with you, either. Just carry a collapsable umbrella, and don't worry too much about your hair staying perfect.

*We* don't!

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:40 AM
JOdy

Samantha--you and I must be the only 2 people in the world who don't take a raincoat to England, I do in the winter and wear it as my regular coat but anyother time an umbrella does me fine. contrary to another post , I find hotels and especially stores and attractions TOO HOT most of the time. One reason I love the hotel we stay in is because each room has it's own reliable thermostat. And no you guys its not hot flashes.. I always check my jacket or sweater in the store or museum claok room and have the windows open in the hotels most of the time!Even some of our friends who live there keep their houses too hot , and i always come home with dry skin from the heat!

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Linda

JOdy, there are at least 3 who don't take a raincoat. I never do. My "brolly" does just fine. As a matter of fact, I had one when I lived there and wore it exactly twice. Threw it away when I moved to the desert--and now don't miss it, no matter where I am.

Jul 14th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Candace

I wouldn't bother with a raincoat either we were in and England and Scotland for 3 weeks last year and never needed one just a lightweight rayon type jacket worked nicely. We hardly ever had to get out umbrella's either when it rained it was just a light mist not like what we are use to in the Chicagoland area.