What to Wear into St. Peter's Basilica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that in order to be allowed into St. Peter's women need to have their knees and shoulders covered. Will a sheer scarf over the shoulders suffice? I have a simple black shawl, but it is sheer and I do not want to be turned away.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:34 PM
ira

Hi judy,

You can always pick up a pashmina for about 3-6 E.

After you wear it to St. Peter's it becomes a souvenir.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I've seen women wearing tableclothes and maps around their shoulders so anything you come up with won't look too ridiculous
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Judy,

I have to say, it's easy enough to plan for and they are more strict at St. Peter's than any other church I have visited. Yes, some women do the most outragous things to get in (skirts pulled up over the shoulders, etc.)- they look silly and inappropriate. Personally, I would wear something very conservative - then you can just enjoy the beautiful sights without worrying about how you look. I've never seen anyone turned away for dress at any site except St. Peter's. You know what they say...When in Rome...
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:14 PM

I agree with Audflash. Worry less about what you'll "get away with" and instead think about the appropriate way to dress for the place you're visiting.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Why don't you just wear a t-shirt and a skirt, or trousers - or a dress with sleeves in it? Seems pretty simple to me. If you know you are going there and you know that you can't wear a sleeveless top or dress then don't then you won't have to bother with scarves and such.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Please listen to the advice here, Judyjay. I have seen people turned away by the Fashion Police at St. Peter's(they actually carry measuring tape) because of small clothing infractions.

My friend had to wear two jumpers tied around her waist because her skirt was 1/2-inch too short.

I saw a ten-year-old boy turned away because his trousers were too short, thus exposing an inch of ankle! He and his teacher (a Catholic nun) had to leave to purchase socks to cover the offending ankle.

Why take a chance???? It is not that difficult to dress in an appropriate manner. I think some people try and see what they can get away with.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM

While it is best to go prepared, if you arrive at St Peter's and are turned away for a clothing infraction, just take a short walk down the street, and you will encounter numerous vendors selling articles of clothing specifically geared towards folks who need appropriate clothing, shawls, etc. I was there 3 times last summer, and found the "clothing police" to be rather random in their selection of whom to let in & whom to turn away. There were young girls in sundresses (4 years old) who were let in with their familes, but teenage guys with capri pants and "long" shorts down to their calves were turned away. I think it depends on the mood of the guard and how busy it is. Best to plan ahead for the worst case scenario.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM

In my experience they are much more tolerant towrds small children with bare arms on a hot day than towards those who are surely old enough to know better.