What to wear in Rome/Sorrento - late July

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be spending 4 nights Rome, 3 nights Sorrento in late July. I planned on bringing one pair of golf (microfiber) pants that I would wear on the plane to use when we visit the Vatican. Can I get away with wearing shorts the rest of the trip? Based on what I have read about fashion in Italy, I am concerned that I will be out of place wearing shorts. Any advice and suggestions appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Italians tend to wear very thin linen (paper thin), but you will be surrounded by tourists in shorts (even though Fodorites preach against it). It will be very hot.

Have you seen all the hoopla about the Domer graduation this weekend?
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM

You can wear shorts in Italy except you cannot wear them in churches. So if you are not planning on seeing any other churches apart from the Vatican City you will be fine.

Yes, you will look out of place wearing shorts in Italy, especially in Rome.

My advice is to leave the shorts at home but it's your call.

If you plan to visit Pompeii I would absolutely suggest long pants and a long-sleeved shirt and hat unless you are very tolerant of the sun.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Kybourbon,thanks and as for ND I am very upset by the whole thing for a number of reasons.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM

I am in Rome right now and not seeing a lot of guys in shorts, not even the young ones. Then again, while it is warm it is not scorching hot like it will be in July. So, I will strongly suggest you pack your shorts and plan your sightseeing such that the day(s) you choose to visit the Vatican you wear your dockers (jeans are a horrendous idea for summer in Rome) and use the shorts for the Colosseum/Roman Forum type days.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM

People in Italy do wear shorts, but it is smarter to wear very thin cotton or linen capris or long pants in July and August. It keeps the blazing sun off of the back of your legs.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM

You will see hundreds of people wearing shorts in Rome in summer and not just Americans.

Pompeii is miserable in summer. There really isn't shade and I haven't heard whether the cafeteria in Pompeii has reopened (anyone know?) which was a nice spot to get a snack/drink out of the sun. I used an umbrella for shade one time (heat wave of 2003). Even last September when I was at Herculaneum the highs were only low 80's. I tried to stay on the shady side of the streets.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM

If you go to Pompeii, please take the advice about the dry dusty heat and bring water and a sun hat.

If you can find very light weight longer slacks (linen type fabric) I think you will feel more comfortable both temperature wise and culturally. You'll see shorts on tourists but since you asked for advice I would advise against them. Think about it; in those scorching hot middle eastern and mediteranean countries people tend to wear loose fitting light clothes that cover them, not shorts and the like to expose them to the sun. If you can't find or don't want linen blend then at least a tropical weight fabric. You won't get into the churches with shorts generally, and there may be other churches you want to visit while you are there, especially in Rome. Just a thought. Whatever you do, have a great trip.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:42 AM

If your the type of guy that hates to wear pants in the summer-then wear your shorts! Be comfortable. I found Romans to dress pretty casually. Except for Pizza di Spagna area.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I say it depends the look & length of the shorts. They should come down near the top of your knee (for men or women both imo) and be decent looking - I say those are OK for tourists in Italy in summer heat. But I wouldn't wear short shorts or nylon sports/running shorts or anything, something dockers-style for men, loose & linen for women.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM

You can wear whatever you want, except for churches (not just the vatican but other churches too prefer more modest attire - some have guards at the door, some just have elderly ladies who will glare and/or make comments to you).

It depends on what matters to you. European men typically wear long pants in cities and save shorts for resorts or specific athletic activities. (Until recently in some countries shorts were worn by little boys and wearing long pants was a sign of growing up.) But there will be many tourists and many will be wearing shorts in lots of places. You will also probably feel more comfortable wearing real pants if going out to dinner in a real restaurant versus just a casuale cafe/trattoria. (I must admit the sight of bare, hairy male legs - especially if not very fit and toned - really isn't conducive to fine dining IMHO.)
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM

Hi:

Sorrento for 3 nights in July means hot during the day and hot in the evening normally. Not unpleasant at all, but hot. Short pants are totally acceptable by everyone , travelers and locals alike. I don't understand comments about shorts not being acceptable in summer in Italy especially in the South and Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are South.

Long pants in Pompei will be very uncomfortable. You need to have your legs as free as possible. If you are a woman Capri pants or shorts. If you are a man, shorts. Evenings long pants. (linen, cotton).

Rome is a big city. Day time be comfortable in shorts. Churches forbid shorts and bare shoulders. Restaurants prefer you in long pants. Sidewalk restaurants take you as you are. Evenings in Rome. Pants.
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Definitely take a little fold up umbrella, it will help with keeping the sun off, especially at Pompeii which as the other poster said, has very little shade. Capris and 3/4 length pants are a more suitable option. They are cool to wear and cover any dress codes. ie churches, monasteries etc. I think longer length shorts are probably ok in Sorrento which a more touristy town.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM

I would love to know if my sons (16 and 19) can wear NICE shorts, long khaki or plaid, to the Vatican/St. Peters if they cover their knees?

We will be there in August, long pants will be brutal, thanks!
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:06 AM

I totally agree with cathies. One thing to bring to Pompeii rain or shine is an umbrella, oh and water.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I don't know about the Vatican but there's no problem wearing knee-length shorts into various churches.

Often, there's nobody inside other than a couple of other tourists.

One nice thing is that they're often very cool inside.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM

One can buy paper pants outside the Vatican.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM

TravMimi - On my last trip (September), I didn't see any of the paper pants vendors. I was surprised because they had always been there in the past along with the scarf vendors.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Oh nooooooooo say it ain't soooooooooo. Paper pants vendors gone???? I guess people have an excuse now to go back to testing the limits of the dress code.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Another question - shoes. Can I wear sandals (no socks)everywhere (vatican, churches, dinner)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -