Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what to wear in Rome leaving Monday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-in-rome-leaving-monday-117856/)

carol Apr 13th, 2001 07:39 AM

what to wear in Rome leaving Monday

I am leaving Monday for Rome and then Positano Please tell what to wear to i need coats etc

christina Apr 13th, 2001 12:24 PM

ciao carol <BR> <BR>now the colors red and cream are the hip thing here in italy. no red shoes! but cream colored shoes and bags. take your umbrella, waterproof shoes, and warm clothes! it's start to get cold in italy and it's too cold for this season. <BR> <BR>we hate it! <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina

Teri Apr 13th, 2001 04:26 PM

Carol, <BR>I was in Rome about 2 weeks ago and the weather was cool in the morning than warmed up to near 70 deg. in the afternoon. I found that most people dressed up somewhat (nice sweater sets and slacks). I wore nice jeans and sweaters during the day but changed for dinner. A lot of the women wore beautiful scarves around their necks and <BR>looked quite elegant. Be sure to have some comfortable shoes! <BR>Ciao, <BR>Teri

Marco Apr 14th, 2001 08:22 AM

Springtime weather is proverbially variable and unpredictable in mid latitudes temperate climates. <BR> <BR>Here in Rome we have had quite a few unseasonably hot days since February (and I just *hate* sweating in a tee shirt when it is still winter). On the other hand in these last days a cold front has broken in and we are now experiencing a sudden return to winter. It has snowed, heavily, above 600-700m throughout all central Italy. Today there was a low, solid grey overcast and it has rained, almost sleeted, all day's long except for a short, but triumphant, sunny break in the early afternoon (you know, it's springtime). <BR>There were 4C at 14.00 ... (it would have been quite a cold reading even in the middle of the winter) and the mountain at the outskirts of Rome are heavily covered in snow above 700-800, a sight that I always love. <BR> <BR>So what to pack? Well aim to cover say 5C-25C, with the idea that most of the time hopefully you'll experience the upper ends of the spectrum . In practical terms a sweater *and* a light rain jacket or windproof jacket will suffice for cold spells , and you can pack tee shirts/skirts/blouses to your heart content. <BR> <BR>According to the forecasts the weather would get better from tuesday onward, so most probably you'll experience a much more pleasant weather... <BR> <BR>You may check at <BR> <BR>http://www.televideo.rai.it/televide...=700&sottop=01 <BR> <BR>for the meteorological pages of the Televideo Rai. <BR> <BR>Marco

Andrew Apr 14th, 2001 05:02 PM

It SNOWED in Rome today....need I say more?????

Nancy Apr 14th, 2001 05:54 PM

We just returned from 2 wks there. It was great weather. It got up to 60 during the day, which is great for walking alot! We noticed that the locals were wearing heavy coats, scarves, hats, the whole bit. Maybe because they ride scooters? I don't know, but it was not cold. If they are having a cold front as they were saying I would bring a jacket. I found one of those black micro fiber jackets, it was very thin but warm. I always look for easy packing things. They do dress very nice over there for the most part. They are fashion forward. The women do wear slacks, tight ones. I had shoes that looked good but were comfortable. We had some good laughs about what the women there wear. Let me put it this way. Absolutely nothing to do with comfort. They wore heels. They looked nice, don't get me wrong. Very elegant and sexy, but I could not walk all day in the kinds of shoes they wore. You can check the 10 day forecast on the internet right before you go. It was pretty acurate when we went. Have a great time!

christina Apr 16th, 2001 01:23 PM

carol! <BR> <BR>take your warm things!!! we had now over easter snow, winter and rain! and it will be like this for the next week!! i hope you can still read this and didn't post without looking. (i took today my winterstuff out from the closet again, do i need to say more?) <BR> <BR>auguri <BR> <BR>christina