Search

Cornwall + ? - July wedding with family of 4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall + ? - July wedding with family of 4

Greetings!

I just found out that my husband's oldest friend is (finally!) getting married in early July, probably somewhere in Cornwall. That wedding provides us with an excuse to travel abroad (we're from western US) with our two boys, who will be 8 and 4 by then.

So here's the question:
Should we stay in the UK for the remainder of our time (likely 7-10 days), or should we venture elsewhere?

If you think we should stay in the UK, what are some good options? If you think we should go elsewhere, where, exactly?

Our boys are animal lovers who enjoy a good beach, a short-ish hike, and anything related to transportation. My husband and I like our little indulgences (comfortable beds in hotel rooms, good food and wine), but we also don't necessarily like to remain on the beaten path.

Our first instincts were to consider Stockholm (we have a friend there and have only been there in winter), Tallinn and/or Russia or take some time in Ireland, Scotland, England. (I'm a whiner in hot, humid weather.) Not sure what would be the most fun for all of us. For some reason, our older son is voting for Russia...

Any help that you can provide or suggestions that you can make are most welcome.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM

You can have a great family holiday right there in Cornwall for that time, especially considering your interests. It certainly ticks all your boxes and there is loads to see and places to go; it's a very varied county, and the best place in UK for active beach lovers (I'd say).
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM

I agree with Nona - Cornwall offers everything you need for a great holiday for the time period you are talking about, great beaches, good food, wonderful countryside, history.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Stay in Cornwall.

Fantastic beaches, seal sanctuary, surfing,fantastic countryside.

You will also find nice restaurants and hotels.

I have very happy memories of rock pooling on Cornwall beaches at age 8.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:29 AM

I have to agree with the others - you have an opportunity to really experience Cornwall and it offers everything you are looking for. I just spent a couple of days there (based in Boscastle) on my first visit back in June and definitely want to return for a longer stay in the future. You might consider renting a cottage for your stay, but if you are itching for a nice hotel room, there are plenty of lovely inns to choose from.

7-10 days simply doesn't give you a whole lot of time to explore another country. At the most you might consider visiting another part of England or Wales. (Your boys might enjoy northern Wales, with Snowdonia National Park, great castles, slate caverns, mining museum, etc.)

I know when you have a rare opportunity to go abroad, you tend to want to squeeze in as much as you can (believe me, I have that tendency!) but in this case, I would encourage you to stay put and really get a sense for the place. I think it will be more relaxing and enjoyable for all of you.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM

Hi Mia - Cornwall certainly has plenty to offer as everyone has said.

If you have a car you could also plan some lovely excursions into neighbouring Devon ...

Steve
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
100% agree w/ the others - Cornwall and Devon are really, REALLY amazing places. Why spend the extra money and time to go somewhere else when you will already be in one of the lovliest parts of the British Isles/Europe?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Really?!? Can you help with what staying in that area might look like? We're not too interested in parking it and spending days on the beach because we can do that at home. It sounds as though it would be great family time, but we'd like to do some exploring. Please help me understand all that the Cornwall area has to offer in that regard.

One thought that we had was to spend the 4-5 days around the wedding in Cornwall, then fly to Stockholm for a couple of days to visit an old friend, take the ferry to Tallinn for a few days and maybe go to Riga or Vilnius. My older son loves the idea of Tallinn, but I haven't yet done the research to figure out if it's a good destination for us at that time.

Again, your suggestions on all fronts are most welcome. Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Castles, amazing gardens, interesting history, museums, neolithic sites, fishing villages, world famous artists/galleries, fine dining, King Arthur/Merlin, WWII connections, moors, and some of the most beautiful sea/coastal scenery - more interesting places per square mile than most places I can think of.

But it sounds like you have your mind set on Stockholm/Tallin so you might be happier going there. I'd personally stay in England though.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

No, no - not set on anything. Stockholm/Tallinn was just the first thing I thought of. Thanks for getting me in the right frame of mind to consider staying in Cornwall!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM

I guess you're flying in and out of LHR so maybe spend a couple of days in London after a week in Cornwall.

In London the boys will get their fill of things related to transport (double decker open topped buses, tube, boats on the Thames. There's even a museum dedicated to transport (London Transport museum) which has been closed for a while but reopens later this year (Nov22nd)
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I have to agree with most of the rest here. Cornwall, Devon and London would make for a great trip. The various little ports scattered along the coast are very different from anything you find on the west coast US. Much of Devon and Cornwall sort of passed by the industrial revolution (and the WWII bombing and redevelopment).

An alternate UK option would be to rent one of the "narrowboats" and cruise along one of the old canals that criss-cross some areas of the country (not Cornwall). Definitely a change of pace, and not for everyone.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM

janisj

I think the only thing you left out was smuggling and smugglers caves (BTW my brother is a PC in truro and the caves are still used for smuggling) and my personal favourite the seal sanctuary at Gweek.

If you do decide to go to London then you can take a sleeper train - if your boys are like the bys I know that would be quite an adventure for them.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Do they still put on the rescue helicopter displays daily at RNAS Culdrose? My boys loved going there to watch that.
Cornwall still counts as one of their favourite childhood holiday destinations.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM

There is also The Eden Project, near St Austell.

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Google up the Cornish tourist board and you'll see why it's one of the most popular areas in the UK for holidays. Having said that, while certain parts get crowded, there are still lots of places to get away from it all (and everyone).

Considering your boys' ages and your interests also google up: Eden project, Flambards village, Goonhilly Satellite station, Gweek seal sanctuary, south west coast path, Bodmin moor, Lizard peninsula, Minack theatre, Lands end (yeah I know UK-ers, but it's good for kids), Mousehole, but those are just the tip of the iceberg. We had a great day at Paradise Bird Park, and have explored a lot of the mining industry history as well, it really depends on what you want to do with your time...but there is something for everyone.
Not to mention Cornish pasties, Cornish icecream with clotted cream on top, and Cream teas.

Would your boys enjoy surfing lessons?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Probably a little young for surfing at this point - and not strong swimmers yet, but I'll take a look at some of your suggestions.

Thank you!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Darn nona,

I was going to mention Paradise Park in Hayle - an overlooked bird park that my kids loved. http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/index2.htm

Another vote for Flambards, especially the Blitz and Victorian exibits which have to be seen to be believed.

http://www.flambards.co.uk/

Gweek is excellent and it's actually very relaxing watching seals swim or sunbathe http://www.sealsanctuary.co.uk/bas1.html I remember going as a child (late 60's early 70's) when they were at their original site and were rescuing seals in a swimming pool in their back yard.

Minack - Porthcurno beach is wonderful, it's not sand but very small shells. Over the years I've spent hours here lying on my back sifting through the shells to find complete shells most no longer than 1/2cm.
You can climb the path from the beach to Minack, amazing view that shows you how clean and blue the water is.

St Ives - you could get lost in the maze of small streets where front doors open onto the alleyways, it's all part of the fun.

Tintagel castle, there are other websites but this shows the view from the castle on the opening page http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/nor...l/tintagel.htm

I'd avoid Newquay since it's too tacky (unless things have changed in the last few years) although my children always enjoyed the zoo.

Wonderful county, if you think you won't have enough to fill your time why not take a relaxing trip through Cornwall, Devon and Somerset before spending a couple of days in London.

Perhaps your friend from Stockholm could meet with you?