what to wear in london

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:15 PM
lisa

what to wear in london

I would like some ideas on how to dress in London during the winter months. should i invest in a warm rain coat or stick with a cashmere coat?? what about day and evening wear?

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:24 PM
wendy

I lived in London for two years and I had need of both. However, to pack light, take what will keep you warm and dry! <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>Wendy

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:14 AM
Liz

You need to plan for rain and for the cold weather. <BR> <BR>It really depends what you plan to do. I work in the UK, and I don't wear a waterproof coat - I wear a cloth coat to keep me warm, carry and umbrella, and dash between tube station and destination. <BR> <BR>However, if you're walking around sightseeing, you might not want to be cluttered with an umbrella, in which case a waterproof coat and warm sweater underneath is probably your best option.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Zoe

London is getting increasingly cold these days and I would heartily recommend a warm coat - cashmere sounds perfect. A small telescopic umbrella that you can loop over your hand will keep you dry. A fleece gilet is a great idea for an extra layer of warmth if you want to wear a raincoat (these are v. popular in the UK). Knee length raincoats are in at the moment. <BR> <BR>If you want to look like a Londoner, here is my quick guide to fashion... <BR> <BR>Don't wear trainers. Leather or suede boots are much more stylish. Pale denim is a definite no-no and even dark denim has really had its day now. <BR> <BR>Plain colours are good - trousers in black, olive green, plum with neat v-neck tops or a little wool cardigan. Calf length skirts with knee-high or 3/4 boots are a big look at the moment. Camel has been the colour of the season (lots of lovely caramel-coloured leather coats and boots) and the Burberry check has been copied all over the high street - but rather passé now. <BR> <BR>Generally, the looks that will make visitors stand out a mile are: <BR> <BR>Trainers, especially white <BR>Denim jeans, especially pale blue <BR>bum bags (or 'fanny packs') <BR>foldaway waterproof coats <BR>Curly hair <BR>big tops and t-shirts <BR>Leggings <BR> <BR>However, the great thing about Londoners is that we all have our own style and we'd never knock anyone else's. So the best advice is to wear what you like and what you feel comfortable (and warm) in! <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:35 AM
Judy

Zoe, Liz and Wendy, That is precisely the kind of advice I need! We are going mid Feb. and I was wondering what the fashion trends were..Zoe thanks for the particulars, I have a long mid-calf camel colored raincoat with fleece lining, and I think I should be ok. How about black denim? I would wear boots, but they are not to great for marathon walking. Thanks again, Judy

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:02 AM
kate

Where all black and you can never go wrong, particularly in winter. We're mostly rather sober in our colour choice. Avoid patterns as well. <BR> <BR>Leather knee length skirts and trousers are in too (I say, sat here in my black top and black leather trousers).

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Lori

Zoe has some good input but I can't help but wonder about curly hair making a tourist stand out ... what about the poor folks with natural curly hair??? Do they shave their heads? Just how much curl are we talking about here? I guess I'm fortunate I wear my hair short with no curl Seriously, I've been a tourist in London many times and lots of other places too and I live in a "tourist area" and I don't think people's hair (curly or non curly has ever been an issue). <BR> <BR>One more question for Zoe .. when you refer to Camel colored are you referring to sort of a dark beige? Just curious, we will be there in April and I'm planning on sticking with my black pants, blazers & sweater, black knee length raincoat type wardrobe (similar to what I have worn on past trips) because I know the weather in April (again from past trips). I never bring light colors because they can get dirty too fast. <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:25 AM
beth

I hope the above poster meant big curly hair or hair curled with rollers. a per, or a curling iron rather than "curly" hair. Yes, I am one those cursed/blessed (depends on the trend) with naturally curly hair. I used to put gel in my hair and make it even curlier and bigger, but I haven't done that in at least 8 years as it is very passe! Right now I use a straitening balm, the blowdryer, and a lot of hard work to get my hair mostly straight and soft looking. However, I have to admit when it rains or is damp (London weather) this is next to impossible. What do people like me do in the UK. I am serious about this question as I am an admitted fashion addict. (definitely no jeans and tennis shoes for me!)

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Judy

Lori, I was smiling when I read your remark.....I did sort of glance at the "curly hair" thing and payed little attention to it, since mine is straight as poker....I always wanted to have hair like Nicole Kiddman....that is gorgeous hair(beautiful hair is timeless)....and I don't think it could ever be out of style...IMVHO.... And I think camel color is kind of like a "camel coat", I think....now don't quote me on this. I particularly like Zoe's disclaimer about Londoner's having their own style, and their fashion tolerance....sigh....made me feel better about my forthcoming trip in Feb. Judy ps. I can always stay warm by shopping, yes? ;-)

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Vanessa

I went to london for the first time last September. Having been to Paris before a couple of times, I took my Paris-type wardrobe. Dark colors, Black tie-at-the-waist rain coat, no gym shoes or jeans (actually i did take a pair of black jeans), and lots of sweaters. The sweaters sure came in handy since it was already very chilly, and rained half the time I was there. But what a difference London is from Paris. As far as fashion, anything goes! It's such an international city, you see people dresses in all types of clothes, I really loved it. Other people my age (twenty-somethings) were dresses all sorts of ways. Each person had their own sense of fashion, which was really great to see. Worrying about fitting-in fashion wise would not be something I give much thought to. Just take sweaters to keep warm, a good compact umberella, a jacket, and your own sense of style.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Joe

Can't help but wonder if this curly hair thing applies to guys too? I'll be darned if I am going to shave my head just to fit in.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:19 AM
SharonM

what about slightly wavy hair...is that okay?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Lori

In light of all this interest in hair, do you think it matters as much if you have a bad hair day in London (or anyplace on vacation) as it does at home/work where people know you ?? <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Judy

Beth, you dear thing, let's trade hair! <BR>And Joe, 1 1/2 inch length hair is very in now....do not shave, just trim!;-) Lori, I agree with the your premise, however, right now I am having a " really bad hair day" today, and I can not get myself to leave the house! What do Peppermint Patty hair people do in lONDON? (I think it is PP with the curly hair, but I am not sure) Viva la differance!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
lisa

thanks everyone for all the fashion advice. i'd say i'm prepared as far as fashion goes - i live in black everything. i am laughing over the commotion about curly hair - i will be sure to bring lots of staightening balm to keep it as frizz-free as possible.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 03:09 AM
Zoe

I had absolutely no idea my curly hair comment would cause such a commotion...! <BR> <BR>I am sitting here at my desk at work (back on Fodors as usual!) trying not to laugh out loud! PLEASE no-one shave their heads! <BR> <BR>I guess I should have elaborated! I meant really big, curly, permed hair, especially with lots of bleach as no-one really has perms in London these days. Sort of like Jerry Springer audiences....hehehe! <BR> <BR>Of course naturally curly hair is fabulous (and I am dead jealous of anyone who has this sort of hair as mine is dead poker straight!) <BR> <BR>Sorry for all the confusion!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 03:21 AM
cleo

How about a hat to cover that curly hair?