What to wear in late March/early April in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris this week and am trying to determine what sort of overcoat to bring...I have limited packing space and was planning on bringing a beige spring trench coat, but am now looking at the weather forecast and it looks rainy and somewhat chilly (50's). What kind of coat would be best? Also, do you think a black coat with a mostly black (or at least black tops) wardrobe would be out of place for the spring (I know black clothing is fairly common in Paris). Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Go with the black. I was in Paris the last week of May last year and everyone was wearing black (and many winter coats) except the cute women from Texas in their Lilly Pulitzer pinks and high heeled sandals.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Black. I was in Paris in late May and it was quite windy and chilly.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Bring something the breathes and doesn't weigh a ton when you take it off and carry it. After a miserable cold and rainy week, sunshine and warmth returned to Paris today. But for how long?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM

We're leaving for the Dordogne tomorrow. While not Paris, the weather forecasts are pretty much the same. Low-to-mid 50's in the daytime and as low as mid-30's at night, some cloudiness, some showers. I was originally planning on leaving my wool coat at home, but with all the outdoor walking, I will definitely be bringing it on the plane. We like to start our day early and that means when we leave in the AM, it will still be in the 40's. I usually wear a regular (not spring coat) in the 40's, but I do get chilly fairly easily. I will see if I can fit my spring trench coat in my suitcase, since it's not too bulky and fairly lightweight, but if I can't fit it in, it's staying home!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I leave this week too and am taking my mid-weight black wool coat. We've had unseasonably warm weather here in SF, but this weekend it got cool. Now it's rainy and I'm fine in my coat, jeans, boots and a regular top. I'm hoping it'll be close to the same in Paris/Limoges/Dorodogne.

Hey we're going on vacation!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM

acadia,

You can never go wrong with black here. The weather has been beautiful today, but who knows what next week will bring. When I traveled here, I relied on layers. If we suddenly have an unseasonal heat wave, just remove a layer and buy yourself a colorful scarf or a pair of ballerines.

Seriously, if you wear flats, save some space in your wardrobe. They are everywhere in Paris this season, each store having a better selection than the last.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Just got back from Paris on Thursday March 22nd. It was cold, windy, rainy, sunny, snowy and even some hail! So be prepared for anything. Black is everywhere so I would wear it. You can always put on a nice scarf. And do save room for ballet type flats. They are everywhere in every color. I never saw so many polka-dot shoes in my life.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I'm always more comfortable in black anyway! I will go for a midweight nylon-esq black car coat...I think that will be best (and light to carry around, good tip!) Also a big thanks for tips on the flats...I want a pair and have been looking at them here in Philadelphia, but haven't bought any yet. Vacation here I come!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM

acadia, I took a light weight quilted black jacket - but some of the time wore a heavy Columbia parka - in Paris - in May.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Acadia...I leave this week , too and it's black all the way.That's my winter wardrobe anyway and I am in Socal.

I am taking an old black leather bomber jacket.

As for the ballet flat style shoes...I do have a pair, but they would be for night only. No way could I walk in those during the day. Not much cushioning at all.

I've been there before this time of year and it was cold, even in Provence.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM

oops--re-read post about ballet flats..Yes, I do have a pair, but that certainly doesn't mean I won't buy more. I love them and will leave room in my suitcase for them.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM

I, too, will be leaving for Paris on Friday for the week. Black tops and bottoms and white tops are my wardrobe staples. Also..a lightweight wool coat and raincoat so I'm prepared for whatever weather Paris has for me. If you're bringing or planning to buy ballet flats, I've brought along some Dr. Scholl gel insoles to better support my feet for when my boots just won't do. Also bringing my credit cards so I won't miss the opportunity when some polka dotted flats have my name on them. No matter what they wear, my feet are always happy in Paris.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM

They should be especially happy this year. I've never seen so many cute shoes, especially flats.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
posted on the wrong thread!

It was rainy and cold last year in February and I was so glad I brought my 20 year old UGGS who are so warm, confortable and not as bulky as the ones they make now. Several French women asked were I bought them. I also wore my French Sole Ballerina flats and those I have been wearing for several years and are now so stylish. I love the Repettos, popular here and in Pars but not as much support and not so attractive in larger sizes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Joining the crwod that's flying over on Friday. Just sitting here trying to decide what to pack and thought I would check Fodor's to see if by chance a thread was going on the topic...and look what I found!

Will take my lightweight down 3/4 length BLACK coat, and definitely have room for extra ballet flats...tried on Repetto's here the other day but am waiting to buy them in Paris!

Anyone flying USAir from Philadelphia on Friday?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I returned from Paris on March 18 and I wore my long knee-length black leather jacket with my cream cashmere scarf every day, it was cool in the morning (and I live in Canada, so I'm used to being cold) and carried an umbrella just in case. Regarding shoe shopping I brought back 3 pairs of leather flats - the shoe choices are excellent this year, even for my size 5.5 feet
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Acadia, are you, by any chance, from Maine?
We leave for Paris Friday, flying Air France from Boston. I'm bringing a hip length mid-weight leather jacket and a wool sweater to wear under. Also a light raincoat just in case it warms up--everything in black. Long underwear and those stretchy gloves I plan to buy a scarf in Paris, can't wait to see the shoes.
Only 4 days!!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Great thread! Leaving for Brussels on Wednesday (as in 48 hours, we will have just left JFK!) and am taking med-weight quilted black jacket to layer as needed or not at all if terribly lucky. This was perfect in Provence three years ago. As for the flats- KEEN's mary janes have terrific support and style - maybe not polka dot, but check out www.zappos.com to see it is possible to have comfort, support and fashion all in one.

Happy and safe travels, my fellow vacationers!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

I am actually from Philadelphia and flying out AirFrance...I am so excited! I'm wondering now, looking at the weather, whether I need to bring two coats...a wool one and a rain coat...will have to consider this option (though I hate making my suitcase any heavier).

Regarding shoes, I have had such a hard time finding flats or anything in my size...it feels as if shoes sizes are getting bigger...I used to be a 5.5, but now feel like I am a 5. Does anyone know if smaller sizes are easier to find in Paris because I only seem to be able to find shoes in kids departments over here!

Happy vacation everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -