Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What To Wear in Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-in-germany-990340/)

PatTyler Aug 31st, 2013 12:17 PM

What To Wear in Germany

Going to Munich, Germany next week for 10 days taking day trips. But, I don't know what to take to wear? Help!

Mainhattengirl Aug 31st, 2013 12:23 PM

What do you wear at home? Why would you wear something different over here?

I wear jeans 365 days a year in Germany, usually some sort of blouse, t-shirt, or sweater depending on the weather. For shoes, I wear Sketchers in several different styles. A jacket for when it gets cold. If you want to go out to eat at a nice place, take a dress or nicer slacks and the shoes and shirt to go with it.

Check the weather, but be prepared for change.

bettyk Aug 31st, 2013 12:25 PM

Wear the same things you would wear at home when you go out. It's no different in Germany.

To keep the number of pieces down to a minimum, pack mix and match outfits in the same color family. Pick a couple of neutral colors like black and navy and then take a few coordinated colored tops, sweater, jacket, etc. Scarves can change the look of an outfit to maybe dress it up for a nice dinner out.

For 10 days, I would take no more than 3 pr of slacks/capris and 5 or 6 short sleeve tops. You may want to throw in 1 or 2 long sleeve tops, plus a lightweight sweater and a weatherproof jacket. Most importantly, pack 2 pair of comfortable shoes, one pair for all your daytime sightseeing and another that would be good for daytime AND nighttime.

sparkchaser Aug 31st, 2013 12:29 PM

<i>Going to Munich, Germany next week for 10 days taking day trips. But, I don't know what to take to wear? Help!</i>

Fall is pretty much here now but you should check the weather forecast and however you would dress at hoe for that weather, dress for that in Germany. The ten day forecast won't be 100% correct but it will get you in the ballpark. And pack an umbrella just in case.

PatTyler Aug 31st, 2013 12:32 PM

This is so helpful! Just so unsure as to want to pack and want to pack as light as possible. Don't want to look so out of place!

sparkchaser Aug 31st, 2013 12:53 PM

<i>Don't want to look so out of place!</i>

Don't worry. You will stand out. But you know what? That's ok. You're a tourist and that's part of the deal.

november_moon Aug 31st, 2013 01:13 PM

Germany is a really practical place - so people dress for the weather and whatever they are doing. It isn't really a country known for high fashion (which ISN'T a negative in my book, not at all) so just make sure you are presentable and dressed appropriately for the weather and you will be great.

Pegontheroad Aug 31st, 2013 01:31 PM

Wear what you wear at home. Follow BettyK's suggestions as to what to bring and how much.

Nobody ever said, "On my next trip, I'm going to bring more stuff." Au contraire...

Don't worry about standing out. I dress like I dress at home, and I am occasionally asked for directions by Germans, who obviously think I'm German.

About a zillion tourists come to Munich every year, and the inhabitants don't care how you dress.

Cowboy1968 Aug 31st, 2013 03:09 PM

<i>and the inhabitants don't care how you dress.</i>

Trust me, we don't. Seriously. Not ONE bit.
You can wear anything from full Prada to screaming white trainers and pink nylon windbreakers right out of Wal-Mart, no one will even notice.
You can't look out of place in a place that has no dress code.
Just don't run around in a Dirndl..

nytraveler Aug 31st, 2013 04:22 PM

wear what you would at home ignores the fact that the us has a wide range of climates - from semi-tropical to desert.

it will work - sort of - if you live in a temperate area - but today is 87 in nyc - i would think a lot warmer than germany,

so - check the forecast and dress how you would for that temp - not that date - ans assume you will get some rain.

asps Sep 1st, 2013 03:05 AM

On the other side, I liked so much the German traditional Joppen (high buttoned jackets) that during repeated visits at Garmisch over several years I bought four of them, that I wear in Italy during winter. Half the price of a designer jacket and double the quality. No, I did not consider lederhosen for wearing in everyday life.
Also loden coats are to be considered. They are not cheap but their half life is twenty years :-)

seetheworld Sep 1st, 2013 04:00 AM

You've got a mixed weather bag coming up. Mid 70's with humidity during the day which is still warm, some 60's during the day which is fabulous! Low 50's in the evening/ morning so bring a sweater or light jacket (I used one on a couple of weeks ago when it got to the 50s in the early am). You have some showers in the forecast too, so pack yourself a small travel umbrella. We didn't and had to use the hotel umbrella which was huge and a PITA.

Have a great trip - no one will care what you wear!

vincenzo32951 Sep 1st, 2013 04:04 AM

Socks with sandals are always in style.

PatTyler Sep 1st, 2013 04:58 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies! So makes me feel better! Can't wait for our trip!

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 1st, 2013 06:59 PM

Those "you-will-stand-out-no-matter-what" comments are a complete fallacy.

I live in Philadelphia and we get innumerable German an French tourist here who wear flip-flops, fitted caps, Chicago Bulls jerseys, Levis, shorts, hoodies, t-shirts, sneakers. They all walk around with iphones, too.

I just got back from Venice and the items I saw in the shops were almost exactly the same as anything you would find in an American mall.

Thin

StCirq Sep 1st, 2013 07:30 PM

German tourists in flocks were walking past us tonight in DC as we sat out and talked in front of our house. For the most part, they looked like hell: huge trainers, wife beaters, visors and baseball caps, short shorts (even on wickedly enormous people), too-tight T-shirts...all plugged into earphones/iPhones, whatever, talking too loudly. Must be some sort of conference at the nearby Hilton. Anyway, I can't imagine any one of these people caring a whit what YOU look like when you go to THEIR country, as they obviously don't care what THEY look like when then come to OURS.

Cowboy1968 Sep 1st, 2013 11:39 PM

Amen.
We have a life.
Watching and judging other people's outfits usually is not part of that.

Josser Sep 2nd, 2013 12:04 AM

Those Germans had obviously been on a travel forum asking how to merge in :-)

sparkchaser Sep 2nd, 2013 12:17 AM

<i>Those Germans had obviously been on a travel forum asking how to merge in </i>

Accurate.

PatrickLondon Sep 2nd, 2013 02:23 AM

I was in Munich in June. There were a few traditionalists in lederhosen and the like, apparently for some special occasion (especially in the beerhalls), but they were people in some sort of club.

As everyone else says, wear what you feel comfortable in for the weather.

Of course, if the mood should take you, you can always find a shop like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...57629332208279
but I wouldn't do more than take a photo of it.