Reload this Page >

Ireland, Fodor's and Our Lady of Knock

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
arbutusbeach

We just returned from a guided tour of Ireland. One of our stops included a visit to the shrine of Our Lady of Knock. We are both Catholic, from the US and have never heard of this shrine. Also, I had my Fodor's book with me and there was not one mention of it. Other fellow travellers had assortments of books which mentioned it. Any ideas on why Fodor's skipped it?

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good taste.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:00 AM

Simple Protestant prejudice.

It's not unique to Fodors. Many English-speaking guidebooks, for many parts of Europe, ignore Christian pilgrimage sites - but only if they're widely visited by lots of people right now. They'll yammer on forever about places like Canterbury that no-one ever pilgrimages to any more. And thety'd never dream of leaving Benares out of their Indian book (even though they insiust on nodding to faddism by calling it Varanasi).

But Lourdes, Knock or Walsingham? Too, too, common my dear. No-one WE know would ever visit anywhere like that.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM

Been there and done that. Your bus driver is required to stop periodically. It was as good a place as any.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM

Did you get any holy water that is blessed daily but comes out of taps by the gallon all day.

I was alarmed by the people kissing the wall which is covered in pigeon droppings.

Still, they have an international airport & if there is a saint they have a statue for sale.