Reload this Page >

What to wear for London Theatre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 06:44 AM
Joe

We will be spending 12 days in and around London in August. What is the proper dress code for London theater, specifically, The Lion King. We will be going with our 12 year old daughter. We really don’t want to pack suits etc. which would require taking an additional garment bag and would only be used for the play. Will slacks and nice shirt for men and slacks and nice blouse for women be acceptable? Thanks for the help.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Tammy

Slacks/pants and a nice shirt/blouse is fine. You will see almost anything at the theater. I saw Phantom of the Opera last April and there were people there with jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Don't even think about taking a suit, it will just be something more to carry that you don't need.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Tammy

Slacks/pants and a nice shirt/blouse is fine. You will see almost anything at the theater. I saw Phantom of the Opera last April and there were people there with jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Don't even think about taking a suit, it will just be something more to carry that you don't need.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Maggie

Joe, <BR>Yes, slacks and nice shirts and blouses will be just fine. There will be people dressed more casually and some will be more dressed up so you should fit in just fine. If you are going to be in London for 12 days your daughter might like seeing the play "Starlight Express" <BR>also. When we have been in London, we will see 3 plays in a week. London theater is a great experience, so if you have time try and see more plays.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Lori

Joe, <BR>You definately do not need to take suits, etc. but a nice pair of slacks & shirt will be fine, that is what my husband wears to the theater - for the ladies a skirt or slacks & blouse are fine. I always wear black slacks, blouse & blazer (but we go in April). You will see all kinds of clothes but I still think it's nice to look a little dressed up (as opposed to cut off jeans & a t-shirt for example).

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Phyllis

Anything will be fine. I would personally, make sure it was neat. We walked in to a play when we were in the area and there was all kinds of dress. <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 07:56 PM
Joe

Thanks all for your advice. Sure nice to know I won't have to lug another bag along. Also taking your advice and will be going to another show. I have asked our travel agent to get us tickets to Phantom of the Opera, which surprisingly my daughter wants to see.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 04:16 AM
Sally

Everyone has given you good advice about what to wear to a play. We were in London 2 years ago with my then 12 yr. old. The person who mentioned Starlight Express was right. We purchased tickets at the half-price booth at Leicester Square and she loved it! We had seen it earlier but it had been revamped during the years. You can also get the tickets to the plays yourself. You can call up a website (forgotten the address) with what's playing and then phone the theatres yourself. They will take your credit card # and you pick up the tickets at the will-call window on the evening of the performance. By the way, we splurged for front row tickets to Phantom and my daughter talks about it to this day.