Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what to wear evenings in portugal 1st week september (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-wear-evenings-in-portugal-1st-week-september-942642/)

erb Jul 13th, 2012 05:45 AM

what to wear evenings in portugal 1st week september

Can anyone tell me what is appropriate to wear out evenings in Portugal 1st week of September
we will be in Porto, Coimbra and Caiscas and will be going to very nice restaurants.
Would white summer cotton dress be ok for example?
Would I be dressing more like Florida in September in terms of fashion...or Spain, italy, France?
Appreciate any help with this!
Elise

adrienne Jul 13th, 2012 05:53 AM

I was there at the end of September and don't remember anyone dressing in white. Beige perhaps. Black is always fashionable. The fashion is nothing like Florida fashion with it's pastels and florals - more sophisticated. More like Italy and France.

Whatever you wear make sure it's cool since it will be blazingly hot (not sure about Porto since I didn't get there).

adrienne Jul 13th, 2012 05:56 AM

I just remembered - the temps did cool off in the evening since Portugal was dry (unlike Florida where it get hotter after the sun goes down because the humidity spikes). But I never wore more than a short sleeved top. The sweater I brought never left my suitcase.

erb Jul 13th, 2012 05:58 AM

Thanks very much Adrienne!

SloJan2 Jul 13th, 2012 11:02 AM

Adrienne´s correct, but bring that sweater anyway...just in case.

amer_can Jul 16th, 2012 07:48 PM

Or a pashima/shawl will do the job and be very in style..More versatile than a sweater. Black pants, pretty top (sparkles etc.) and flats..very chic, tasteful and comfortable.

amer_can Jul 16th, 2012 07:53 PM

Forgot to ditto the HOT. HOT, HOT comment..but some restaurants, if they have ac will be chilly..sea breezes will also be a factor, especially in the evening..Have a great time..

MyriamC Jul 17th, 2012 01:51 PM

We ate at very nice restaurants all over Portugal and I have never seen women dressed up like at the Côte d'Azur for instance. Portugal is very laid back. It might be too cold, though, for a white cotton summer dress. You're at the Atlantic Coast. The climate isn't as mild as on the Med.

MiguelE Jul 17th, 2012 02:30 PM

Hi,

I was actually thinking about that...
Unless you're going to specific events, I don't think you'll see many women in cocktail dresses, or something like that.

When you say you're going to "very nice restaurants", could you be more specific? Or maybe name a couple of examples... it would be a lot easier to help.

Cheers,
miguel

erb Jul 17th, 2012 04:46 PM

Hi Miguel
We will be going to restaurant in hotel do Guincho
Chateaux and Relais in Coimbra
and we are still looking for restaurants in Porto
THanks for your help

MyriamC Jul 18th, 2012 03:07 AM

Very hip in Porto are Rest. Shis (on the beach) (where men wore a jacket, but it was pretty cold this June), Pedro Lemos and Foz Velha. All are in the Foz do Douro district, not in the old centre of Porto.

erb Jul 18th, 2012 03:26 AM

thanks Myriam!

MiguelE Jul 18th, 2012 07:09 AM

Hi,

For those I would say it's a casual elegant attire..
Specially in Quinta das Lagrimas and if you're not going in the weekend...emphasis on the "casual".

Regarding Porto, keeping up with your pattern (Michelin stars) i would suggest The Yeatman in Vila Nova de Gaia (across the River from Porto)

Hope you enjoy it!

cheers,
miguel

erb Jul 18th, 2012 01:32 PM

Thank You Miguel
Really helpful!!