What to Wear - England/Mid-November

Sep 5th, 1997, 08:43 PM
Marie

What to Wear - England/Mid-November

How should I pack for London & the UK for 2 weeks in November? How about for shoes? What temps can be expected? Also...can you suggest any MUST SEE places within easy train ride from London? Thank you!

Sep 6th, 1997, 06:56 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Marie: I go to London regularly in November --including THIS year. I take a raincoat with a warm lining, comfortable rubber-soled shoes (plus a pair of low-heeled pumps for dressier occasions); one dressy--usually black--dress; mix-and-match combinations of turtleneck t-shirts and A skirt and A pair of slacks; warm nightie and robe. That's it. It all fits in one 24-inch bag (sometimes in a 21- inch). Lots going on in London in November. Be sure to check out the V&A--they have a great restaurant and a terrific gift shop where you can do all your Christmas shopping for relatively little. Have a great trip. Joan

Sep 7th, 1997, 08:23 AM
diane

Hi, I go to London often, and will be in November in London too. Definitely bring a warm raincoat. It's not so much that it's cold, it's just damp. For train trips, definitely do Hampton Court, the original palace of Henry VIII. You can catch a train from Waterloo station, and it's about a half hour ride. It's wonderful. Another good train ride, about 1.5 hours long, is to Bath. You catch the train from Paddington Station. Bath is wonderful. Have a great time!

Sep 8th, 1997, 05:03 PM
Karen

I agree you should go to Hampton Court. I think you can still take the Green Line bus to both Hampton Court and Windsor Castle in a day. You pick it up around the corner from Victoria Station. Also, going south to Brighton to see Brighton Pavilion, very unusual and a nice trip. You could also go west to Bath and east to Dover and take the hovercraft to Calais and back...it is interesting and fun.

Sep 8th, 1997, 07:00 PM
sl

Hi, on the subject of Bath? Which station to catch the train to Bath, how much is the train fare and is a one day trip sufficient? Thanks.

Sep 15th, 1997, 11:59 AM
dodger

Re Bath. You can take the train from Paddington Station. The Bath station is just below the town. You can walk stright up the hill to the center or walk to the bus station where you can take a open top tourist bus for an in-depth tour. In any event, Bath is a fun town to visit. If you want my opinion on other towns to visit let me know.

Sep 15th, 1997, 12:12 PM
dodger

I forgot to answer your other questions. First, the round trip train cost is $88.00. However, if you go after 9:00 AM you can buy a "cheap day return" for about 1/2 this cost. You can do this in one day. The ride is only about 1 1/2 hours. Look for the Grape's pub. Good food!

Sep 15th, 1997, 12:18 PM
r bakh

When I've gone to England in cooler weather, I wear boots like Timberlands (no I don't work for them). Mine are waterproof and comfortable. I also use a longer mac-type raincoat with zip-out lining..good for layering.

AS for day trips, try Cambridge. There is too much to see in one day, but what one can experience is better than not going at all. Have lunch at the Archery Pub which is "over" the Cam and enjoy watching students on one side and the Constable view of the "backs." Also took a day trip to Bury St Edmund. Really like a step back in time...even in the summer there were no tourists...close to the equine area around Newmarket (not far from Cambridge). Don't forget your umbrella and have a great trip!

Sep 17th, 1997, 09:19 AM
angela

I agree with everything about the types of dress, especially the Timberland boots idea. Try to coordinate colors so you can mix and match. Dressing in layers is the only way to go. You definitely have to get to Bath. Its one of my favorite towns in England. I really liked Canterbury too, if you need another idea for a day trip. Have fun!