Search

What to Wear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Mary

What to Wear

Traveling in Italy 3 weeks--late Sept/early Oct. Rome-Umbria-Venice-Lake Como-Genoa-Florence-Tuscany. Will it be warmish or cool? What type of clothing? What fits in best to go sightseeing-what for out to dinner (without taking a steamer trunk!) Staying at mostly upscale hotels.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:30 AM
elvira

Venezia: Warmish for the most part during the day (short sleeves), but cools off quickly when the sun sets. We found that shorts were only practical if we planned to return to our accommodations before sundown (and no churches on the itinerary); otherwise, long pants! Do take a light jacket or sweater as well. One good downpour one night; one drizzly day (umbrellas would have been nice, but we had left them on the boat).

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Helen

Hi Mary! I am going to the same places almost the same time - though it will be a first for me to Venice and Portofino, I have been twice in Rome, Florence and Umbria during Sept, October. The weather is really nice, though it can be rainy some days - not heavy - nothing to worry about. The day temperatures are quite average, but cool down early in the evening - but never really cold. I usually take a track suit or two, some T-shirts (not too many - you will buy some beautiful cheap ones in Rome!)Another few long pants, and maybe a more classy blouse/top or two to wear for dinner. <BR> <BR>Just remember that some churches do not allow entrance when you are dressed in shorts, and it safe to have at least something that covers your upper arms - a short sleeve T - shirt is fine. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!! I cannot wait myself!!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Jeff

Do the churches mind if you wear sandles? I mean, Jesus wore sandles right? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Jeff

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:34 PM
SpellingPolice

No Jeff, Jesus didn't wear sandles. He wore sandals. I don't know if you can get into an Italian church wearing sandles, but I've never seen anyone turned away for wearing sandals.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Surlok

Sandals are not a problem ( I gather that even bare foot wouldn't be), but shorts are. I figured out that, for men, and maybe even for women, those versatile slacks with zippers, changeable to shorts, are the most practical attire. Also tank tops are not appropriate to visit churches, while short sleeves, or T-shirts are perfectly adequate. <BR>For the ladies, a pareo, or a shawl could be worn over the shorts as a skirt. Those would work out, too, to be worn on the shoulders, if they're wearing a dress/blouse/top with a (deep) cleavage. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:45 PM
JOdy

It depends on your age, if you are over 25 skip the shorts,,,,,,,,Just dress as you would in any big city, nice casual pants or skirts and co - ordinating tops. I wear pants in evening youcan do what youwant, longish skirt, pants, . Just be yourself. I don't know why all feel they need shorts, too cold in sept Oct.. too exposed to the sun and HOT seats in hot weather,jeans are too stiff, skirts are cooler.. Cotton. linen, or lightweight wool, garbardine,knits are so much more comfortable and so much more fashionable

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Jeff

Okay... You don't want to know how many years I've been in college, and just now I learn how to spell those floppy things on my feet. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the late night humor!