Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to take overseas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-take-overseas-543039/)

Ozarksbill Jul 10th, 2005 01:10 PM

What to take overseas

Here is my list of what to take when going overseas (especially for senior traveler):

passport
credit cards
driver's license (for ID)
photocopies of above plus airline tickets
travel alarm clock
eye shade
ear plugs
kleenex & handiwpes
washcloth
clothesline
laundry soap
neck or waste money belt
small flashlight
Swiss knife (not in carry on)
nail clippers (ditto)
bandaids
prescriptions (with copies)
antiacids
motrin
other medicines
cosmetics/personal items
thermometer
witchhazel for tired feet
sun glasses
eye glass tightener
umbrella
jacket and/or sweater
swim suit
notebook/diary
pens/pencils
guidebooks, city maps (of course)
language/phrase book
trip insurance
calculator (figuring currency rates)
coin purse/wallet/money clip
$1 bills for tips
email & postal addresses, phone numbers
tote bag
water bottle/holder
tape recorder & cassettes
camera, film, batteries (or memory sticks)
plastic bags (for shoes, gifts, food, etc)
snacks for plane
duct tape & rubber bands
luggage cart (especially for older folks)
sport coat or dress clothes if opera bound

You might leave out a few items but on our recent Central Europe trip we or friends used every one. Anything left out?
I'd leave passport, tickets, big money, etc. in a hotel safe except for daily needs in money pouch.

Ozarksbill

DeeDee Jul 10th, 2005 01:36 PM

Don't forget your ATM card, health insurance card and electric adapter.

I didn't find a need for everything on your list, but it's nice to have a nice long list to check off.

degas Jul 10th, 2005 01:46 PM

denture cream & Bengay and the eyesight to tell which is which

Catbert Jul 10th, 2005 01:52 PM

You tip oversees with one dollar bills? Imagine how inconvenient it would be if someone gave you a one euro coin.

BTilke Jul 10th, 2005 01:58 PM

Re the eyeshades, it depends on which airline you're flying. BA hands out eyeshades in its little toiletry pack even in economy, so you may not need that.
Kleenex (or local equivalent) and handwipes are readily available in western Europe. It's nice to take a small notebook if you like, but I prefer to buy one en route (usually from a museum)--it doubles as both a diary and souvenir.
$1 bills will not be appreciated as tips in western Europe--local currency would be much better. A tape recorder and cassettes are fine, but you save space if you get a small digital recorder. We don't bring a water bottle anywhere--we simply buy a small bottle of water and refill as we go along.
One suggestion of yours I liked is the eyeglass tightener. It's small and useful.
I would bring the Swiss knife only if it came with a bottle/can opener and corkscrew attachment.
If you use them, bring a pair of Tweezerman tweezers. They are much better than the tweezers I've found in Europe.
If you plan to bring or rent a cell phone in Europe, you don't need the travel clock--the phones have an alarm setting.

walkinaround Jul 10th, 2005 02:00 PM

maybe he means for the skycap, taxi, etc before he leaves the US and on arrival back home. give him the benefit of the doubt.

Kert Jul 10th, 2005 02:14 PM

clothes, shoes, kitchen sink....

NorthShore Jul 10th, 2005 02:17 PM

I liked the idea of a small tape recorder & cassettes. Good way to capture your thoughts and feelings.

Where2Travel Jul 10th, 2005 02:24 PM

I can't imagine taking anywhere near half these things away with me. I am a younger traveller - I say that since you specifically mention "senior traveller" in your post so do you take more stuff with you for that reason?

rkkwan Jul 10th, 2005 03:15 PM

How about "a new back" for the senior traveler to carry all that?

jody Jul 10th, 2005 03:34 PM

"waste money" belt! I think I even use those at home!

elaine Jul 10th, 2005 03:36 PM

my suggestions--
Clothesline not necessary, just drape wet things over the shower head or by using a hanger

Laundry soap not necessary assuming you are washing only small things in the sink, use shampoo

Western European countries have plenty of OTC remedies available, I bring with me only a couple of tablets of a couple of things for use in middle-of-the-night distress
Europe also has opticians.

What's the thermometer for?

Instead of witchhazel, make do with cool water in the tub.

Dollar bills for tips in what country?
If you mean the USA, great. If you mean Europe, I see that as condescending.
Do you know how much 'the natives' will lose on trying to exchange a dollar for local currency? Why not tip with local currency?

lilminkey Jul 10th, 2005 03:41 PM

How big was your bag?You could always you the clothesline if things are going so good.

degas Jul 10th, 2005 03:42 PM

Except for the few items that elaine highlighted, the list looks pretty good.

kswl Jul 10th, 2005 03:53 PM

Individually-wrapped Shout wipes for small spills on your otherwise clean clothing. You can get an extra wear that way.

walkinaround Jul 10th, 2005 03:54 PM

if you often use certain OTC drugs, i would bring them instead of buying them as suggested. there is differing availability and travelling is not the time to experiment. Tablets don't take much room and they are generally cheaper in the US (OTC that is).

tuscanlifeedit Jul 10th, 2005 04:10 PM

The Shout wipes are great; I always stash one or two in my tiny laundry kit. My laundry kit is in a very small mesh zipper bag and has a blow-up hanger, a mini-needle and thread set with a few safety pins; Shout wipes and a small can of wrinkle spray. I love that stuff. Sometimes I have a mini bottle of Woolite, but use soap or shampoo when I don't.

The one thing I always have are those blister pads that come like band aids in paper strip covers. Love them.

Someone asked about "senior" packing. I have to say that I bring less clothing and more comfort products these dcays; less make up and more remedies, too.

I've never done duct tape or rubber bands, but watch, and I'll end up needing them soon.

suze Jul 10th, 2005 06:19 PM

I can't imagine toting along all that stuff. No wonder you need a luggage cart -LOL.

What I do NOT take that is on your list includes:
driver's license
travel alarm clock
eye shade
ear plugs
handiwpes
washcloth
clothesline
laundry soap
neck or waste money belt
bandaids
antiacids
motrin
other medicines
thermometer
witchhazel for tired feet
eye glass tightener
umbrella
notebook/diary
guidebooks, city maps
trip insurance
calculator
coin purse/wallet/money clip
$1 bills for tips
water bottle/holder
tape recorder & cassettes
plastic bags
duct tape & rubber bands
luggage cart

Reasons not: I tip in the currency of the country not in US $1 bills. My small suitcase has wheels so I don't need an additional cart. When I do laundry I use hotel shampoo and hang over a towel rod to dry. Passport is sufficient for ID you don't need a drivers license. I do research ahead but leave guidebooks at home & pick up a free city map and free entertainment guides upon arrival in a new city. Etc. etc.

I don't know how old you are but I don't need anything more when I travel then I did 20 years ago (oops one thing, I do wear glasses now).

Your list is a great one for a guideline, don't get me wrong. And could be very helpful for 1st time travelers. But it is simply way too much stuff. I only take one 22" suitcase, if I packed all these gadgets I'd have no room for my shoes and clothes!!

kindly, s.

RufusTFirefly Jul 10th, 2005 06:41 PM

We take our TV so we can get American shows in English. Especially Matlock and Barnaby Jones. We really don't like Matlock's voice in the German and Spanish dubbings.

KT Jul 11th, 2005 10:15 AM

I take many, though not all, of those things and still manage to pack light. Many of them are quite small: my tiny flashlight, ear plugs, medications, a couple of bandaids, etc., all fit into a zip bag that's only about 3 x 6 inches. And these things have all come in quite handy. It's not the number of things you bring that determines whether you're overloaded -- it's their size and weight.