What to see in Skansen (Stockholm)?

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

What to see in Skansen (Stockholm)?

I'm a bit confused. This looks like a huge place.

http://www.skansen.se

I'll be at the end of May, so the grounds are open until 8, which is great. But the buildings themselves are closed at 5.

What takes place inside the buildings?

Are there any "must-sees"?

How does one travel within this vast space (apart from walking)? Buses? Trams? etc.?
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Skansen is large, and as far as I know walking is how you get around. It is built on a hill, so there is some up and down to the site. The grounds are extensive and nice to wander which is why they stay open longer than the buildings.

The site consists of both a zoo and many historic buildings. The buildings are from all over and represent many time periods. There is a town area where craftspeople work. Other buildings illustrate farms, upper class life etc. In some there are people in costumes describing a typical day. I believe we picked up a schedule when we arrived and it said which buildings were staffed that day.

It is very well done and we spent most of a day wandering about poking in buildings(but we really like this sort of thing). It has a very nice shop. You could combine this with a visit to the Vasa Museum, another Stockholm "must see"

This is where the whole open-air museum trend started and Skansen was an inspiration for Williamsburg, Greenfield Village and all the rest.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sprin2.

Do you remember how much time you spent there?

I usually pack in as much as possible, and I noticed that the grounds close at 8 but the buildings close at 5. I guess I probably shouldn't arrive at 5....

Since I don't have a very good idea as to what I should be seeing, I can't budget my time very well.

Maybe I should go to Skansen first, then to Vasa (which also closes at 8 on Wednesdays -- in late May, anyway).
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM

I would go as early in the day as possible. While the buidlings are interesting we found that the various craftrs and activities of daily life that were demonsrated and described were by far the most interesitng part.

There is a schedule telling you which will be operating and what time specific activities will take place (like feeding times at the zoo). And when we were there all of the costumed demonstraters spoke at least passsable english.
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks.

I'll think about it more. Maybe after lunch around 3 and stay until 6 and then move on to Vasa.

But I'll have to see how much time we have (which is never enough).
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM

There is an escalator to take you pretty far up the hill when you enter the park. We were there in late March and spent about 3 hours there and had lunch. Some of the buildings were closed and none of the craft workshops were open. All the staff we encountered spoke at least some English. We are going back to Stockholm in August and I assume we'll spend another half day or so.
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:42 AM

We arrived at Skansen early as we'd sailed in overnight from Finland.We left early afternoon. It was disappointing to find that more of the buildings were closed for various reasons than you would have expected in early August.
However the zoo was a bonus and we didn't even know it was there. It features animals from the north which you may never have seen before.The highlight was a number of little kittens playing with each other!