Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to see in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-see-in-scotland-39763/)

Desai Mar 11th, 1999 07:12 AM

What to see in Scotland

We are planing to go to Scotland in July. <BR>We are thinking of getting Scottidh rail <BR>pass (4 days rail travel in 15 days). <BR> What can we see in 6 days north of Edinburgh?We have seen Edinburgh before. <BR> We would like to visit Isle of Skye & one <BR>other offshore Island. <BR> What else is to see in Highlands? <BR>Thanks.

leechase Mar 11th, 1999 12:51 PM

<BR>The west Highlands are beautiful. Consider going to the Oban area and also Fort William and the area around Glencoe to see Ben Nevis. I don't know how accessable these places are by train though. Also I believe there is a train ride that goes to Mallaig that is supposed to be beautiful. <BR>The Isle of Skye is beautiful. we stayed in Portree. <BR>Good luck.

Maira Mar 12th, 1999 02:19 AM

Desai, great choice for a destination! <BR>We visited last May and can't wait to go back. We did rented a car and drove up to the West Highlands. I was blown away by the beauty of the Highlands; both the jagged cliffs, the inmensity of the green pastures, the beautiful forests, the breathtaking lakes. The West Highlands has possibly some of the best scenery you will ever see. Some of the towns that I specially liked were Fort Williams, Ben Nevis, Invergary and Fort Augustus. Any one of these towns could serve you as a base from where to take a day trip to Isle of Skye. The area of Loch Lommond is very relaxing, although it looks like July in that area could get pretty crowded. Inverness is a fast growing town that provides a great home base to visit a lot of castles around the area. Another area is Stirling (to the East). This area has tons of sites that are very identified with William Wallace ("Braveheart" movie). While staying in Inverness we visited the site of the Battle of Culloden, Cawdor Castle, Urquhart Castle (by Loch Ness; don't bother with the Loch Ness Museum), Stuart Castle (hunted!), great wools shopping and celtic silver jewerly. From Inverness you can also take a day trip ferry ride to the Far North, Orkney Islands (tel. 01 95 561 1353). The food is also great (specially when compared with English fare!). <BR> <BR>I would strongly advised you to try to rent a car at least for the Highlands portion. You could take a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and hop in car from there. <BR> <BR>Hope you have the best time. E-mail me for details.

caroline Mar 12th, 1999 09:10 AM

Went on my honeymoon there 2 years ago, very nice. I definitely would rent a car. Its not difficult driving because all the roads are single anyway, just watch out for the sheep! I'd stay away from the "cities", they aren't anything special. Interlochan was gorgeous as were the Highlands. Smoo caves were a bit disappointing too me, a very long drive there(although beautifully scenic, but no stopping places). Isle of Skye was nice as was Tobermory (not sure of the name, the candy is made there). The isle of Mull was very rocky and rainy, wouldn't do it again. I think alot of the inlands are prettier than the islands. Small towns where people are fishing-breathtaking. Dunleavy was nice too. Sterling was nothing special and Edinburgh was alright. Everything is easily accesible. You could probably drive around the entire country in 2 days (non-stop).

caroline Mar 12th, 1999 09:15 AM

Went on my honeymoon there 2 years ago, very nice. I definitely would rent a car. Its not difficult driving because all the roads are single anyway, just watch out for the sheep! I'd stay away from the "cities", they aren't anything special. Interlochan was gorgeous as were the Highlands. Smoo caves were a bit disappointing too me, a very long drive there(although beautifully scenic, but no stopping places). Isle of Skye was nice as was Tobermory (not sure of the name, the candy is made there). The isle of Mull was very rocky and rainy, wouldn't do it again. I think alot of the inlands are prettier than the islands. Small towns where people are fishing-breathtaking. Dunleavy was nice too. Sterling was nothing special and Edinburgh was alright. Everything is easily accesible. You could probably drive around the entire country in 2 days (non-stop).

desai Mar 16th, 1999 07:28 AM

Hello leechase,Caroline,Maria, <BR>Thanks for the tips on Scotland.I think we deceided to rent a car.can't wait to go. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>C

Bill Irving Mar 16th, 1999 10:08 AM

A book that I have used numerous times & may be helpful to you is Britain by Britrail, which also includes Scotland. It contains a number of towns which you can reach by train - usually daytrips from a central city. It also gives some approximate schedules & length of train rides. It gives a small description of what there is to do in the various towns & where the travel information building is located. I have used this book (or Europe by Eurail) to help plan every trip I have taken to Europe. <BR>

Sheila Mar 17th, 1999 11:52 AM

Can i slightly disagree with all those so committed to car use. we have some fo the most magnificent scenery thruogh which our train lines run. The only problem is that public transport on the islands is a bit iffy. <BR> <BR>I would suggest you take the rain from Glasgow to fort William; along loch Lomond to Crian arch, across rannoch moor, through Glen Coe to Fort William. then take the train to Mallaig out on the remote west coast. Then take the ferry to Skye. <BR> <BR>Skye alne would be worth your trip, and if you are pressed for time, I suggest ou stay there till you have to leave then come off at Kyleakin and catch the train fom Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland to Inverness. You could either do a quick diversion right up to the north coast or just come staright back down to Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>if you have a couple of days spare get the ferry fromthe north of Skye to North Uist, then go down through North Uist, benbecula nd South Uist and catch the ferry back to Oban, where the trains run. <BR> <BR>There's a great web site at www. hebrides.com, which I recommend

Desai Mar 18th, 1999 11:02 AM

Sheila, <BR>Do you know anything about Orkney Island? Is there bus service on the Island? Is it worth going?