Reload this Page >

What to see in Rome and Venice for 3 days in each city

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am newbie in this forum.I am leaving for Italy in may and will be there for 7 days.Staying in Rome for 3 days and 3 days in Venice.Not counting the one day which will be spent in travelling.What should i absolutely do and see in each of the 2 cities.Also i love history,art,architecture and culture.Also please suggest places to eat where it is moderately inexpensive.I have heard there are cover charges in some of the restaurants?is that true?
Also is it necessary to buy tickets for the colloseum and is it better to check it out in the daytime or evening?Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Rome: Circus Maximus, Colosseum, Forum Imperiale, Piazza Venezia, Spanish Steps, Church of Trinita dei Monti, Fontana da Trevi, Piazza Navona, Saint Peters Square and Cathedral (includind Pieta), Vatican Museum (including Sistine chappel) - These locations are walkable distance from each other. The areas around Spanish steps and Fontana da Trevi are the shopping district of Rome.
Venezia: Rialto bridge, Saint Mark Sq, the Campanile, and wander through the streets to see, compare and uncomparable Carnival masks, each one different to each other in tens (hundreds?) of small shops
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Italy. I have been researching Venice lately - we figure we will have about 3 days there as well.

Our rough plan is one day to see Piazza San Marco, the Basillica, the Rialto Bridge, the large market there, and cruise the Grand Canal - basically the major tourist sites. Then one day to wander the neighborhoods and see what we can see - also take a gondola ride through some of the smaller canals. And then one day to go out to the islands - Murano, Burano, and Torcello.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you.
J Correa,do you hv any information about the cost of the gondola rides?How easy is it to get tickets?
Also does anybody have any idea how the weather is going to be end of April and beginning of May?Is it a good idea to take a jacket?
Also how do people dress in the 2 cities?Are they casual?
One more question,does one need half a day or the whole day to see the vatican and is it true that you cannot wear shorts or anything sleeveless?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Please spend a whole day at the Vatican, maybe even 2. There is so much there. Do not try to do it in a 1/2 day, at least IMO.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I am staying at Hotel Giuliana.It is located in the termini area on Via Agostino Depretis.Has anybody stayed there or heard of it.Tripadvisor has given good reviews.Just wanted to make sure.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM

DO NOT MISS the Frari Church in Venice. It is spellbinding and at least as interesting as St. Marks, if not more so.

Also, do the Secret Itineraries tour of the Doges palace in Venice.

In Rome, you can avoid the long lines at the Colosseum by paying for the Roman Promenades tour. You're with a large group of probably up to 50 people but: the guide will give you a 30-45 minute tour of the Colosseum in English (interesting historical tidnits), you skip the LONG line, you can stay inside as long as you wish after your tour is over and explore on your own.

I think it is about 11€ per person (includes your admission price). I've done this twice - well worth it to me!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:40 AM

What to see and do really depends on your interests. lobo gave a list of the major attractions in Rome, but only you can decide on how to define what suits you best.

On our first trip to Rome, in three days we were able to see the Colosseum, Forum Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, St. Peter's/Vatican/Sistine Chapel. We stayed in the Centro Storico area which is just lovely and visited some local churches in that neighborhood.

You might want to look at some tours for Rome. We took a Vatican/St. Peter's tour and enjoyed it very much. You can do a search here for "Rome tours" and lots of excellent information will come up.

Venice is a beautiful and charming city. You can plan nothing, wander the neightborhoods and always stumble upon something wonderful. San Marco piazza has throngs of tourists, but if you go in early morning or late evening, you will really discover its magical charms...because all the daytrippers are not there.

Two restaurants that come to mind are usually filled with locals and are not terribly expensive: In Rome, try Ecce Bomba and in Venice try Vino Vino. There is a great book on Venice restaurants called Ciao!Venice which we found extremely helpful.

It is especially helpful to remember that so much closes down for lunch. So you might want to plan your days accordingly. I can't tell you how many times we walked up to a church only to have the doors closed for lunch...very frustrating and sometimes unavoidable.

An important aspect to planning your daily itineraries would be to know the days when sights, museums and restaurants are closed and what the hours of operation will be when you are there.

You can purchase tickets for the colloseum when you get there. If I remember, the colloseum closes around 6:00 or 6:30.

And always remember to have gelato every day!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM

TexasAggie, Can you tell me more about the Roman Promenade Tour? Is this something you just join when you get there? Where does it meet? Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM

You should start with the basics.
If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations you will find lots of basic suggestions on Rome and Venice, including how to organize short-stay visits. Frommers.com also has great suggestions and itineraries.

Please define what you mean by moderately inexpensive places to eat.
Yes, restaurants in Italy usually add on a coperto charge, it is a per person charge for bread and such, but it is not optional.

Most of your other questions can be answered in these threads

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Hi r505. You have received good info here but I noticed your questions on dressing.

You will not be permitted to wear sleevless tops or short etc. at the Vatican and a lot of other churches.

If it is hot I would suggest (assuming you are a woman) that capri's with a short sleeve top would be good if you want to stay casual. For a man I would suggest a lightweight long pant with something like a poloshirt or whatever.

Italians are more formal then Americans tend to be in their dress. Having said that however you are not expected as a traveller to be as formal as an Italian might be.

First of all most of them are working. Not travelling.

They are not living out of a suitcase as you will be. And they have the entire wardrobe at their disposal, which you will not.

If you are dressed like a lady or a gentlman as the case may be you will feel perfectly acceptable.

I am always amused that my friends in Italy who dress so "proper" always are so much more casual (but still look wonderful) when they come to visit me. As they should.

Oh, regarding a gondola ride.
The best thing to do IMHO is talk to a few gondoliers that you see in the side canals. Try to do that in the morning. Try to find one that you feel you can relate to. Most of them are very nice. If the price suits you then you can set up the time and place to meet him. Usually that would be where you first met him. I believe the going rate is now about 90Euro. Not positive about that though. Hopefully someone else can verify that info.

Do have a wonderful time, I am sure you will.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all you guys.
LoveItaly...thanks about the the info on gondola prices and the wardrobe tips.
I have travelled to France and Spain but i am the most excited about Italy and planning everything ahead of time.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:17 PM

http://www.romanpromenades.com/

We reserved in advance and paid in cash upon arrival. Plenty of other people just joined the group right outside of the Colosseum.

They have tweaked it a little since last June as far as the length of the tour (added 15 min. to it), and the price has gone up a bit too. I checked my records and I paid 11€ in 2002, 16€ in 2004, and now it is 18€ per person.

Here is the info:
"COLOSSEUM IN DEPTH TOUR "

Plus free promotional Tour of "Palatine and Roman Forum"

Colosseum tour - Tour lasts 1 1/4 hour
Forum Tour - 1 hour

Per person - 18€

The company has been around and doing these tours since at least August 2002 (when I went on the first one). I enjoyed the tours because they were interesting but not TOO in depth, and of course I liked skipping waiting in the long lines.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I have read the same thing about the gondola rides - find a gondolier that you like and put together a route. Basically tell him what you want to see, agree on a price and a time, and you are all set.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hi J_Correa, have you heard, on the average, that a gondola ride is around $90.00 Euro? I think I have heard that but not absolutely sure.

And r505, yes I would take a jacket. I have been in Venice when it rained. Now that did not ruin our trip but I always think a jacket is a smart thing to bring along. Sometimes when it is hot airconditioning can be quite chilly.
Wear the jacket on the plane, planes can getting chilly too, as I am sure you know.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:27 PM

TexasAggie, Thanks a lot for that information. I realize this tour wouldn't be nearly as in-depth as the Context Rome one that I was considering, but I think it would work for me.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:58 AM

You can get more info on gondola rides and prices at www.alata.it. You can also book a reservation for St. Mark's Basilica (free) and the Secret Itinieries Tour at this site.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I second TexasAggie's suggestion of Chiesa Frari and would add Scuola di San Rocco, which is just behind the Frari. If I had to pick one destination for paintings in all of Italy it would be the scuola di san Rocco (yes even better than the Accademia and the Ufizzi)
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM

You may find our Rome/Venice trip report to be helpful...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/rome_venice_1.html

Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mr_go,your report was wonderful and very helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -