Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to see in Paris in 8 hours? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-see-in-paris-in-8-hours-789366/)

Studman Jun 10th, 2009 07:27 PM

What to see in Paris in 8 hours?

We are going to Rome in Aug from JFK with a 12hr layover in Paris.

I would like to go into Paris and check out some sites instead of just hanging at the airport.

Any thoughts??

I was thinking of taking the train from the airport and go and see the Elfel (sp) tower
and the Lovure (sp)

any help would be great
Thanks
Studman

Seamus Jun 10th, 2009 08:31 PM

You will likely get suggestions for other places to visit in your brief time, but presuming you are not too jet lagged you certainly could take the RER into town. Take RER B to St Michel/ Notre Dame and transfer to RER C to the Champs de Mars / Tour Eiffel station. If by some chance lines aren't too long maybe even ride the elevator up the tower. From there, pick up bus 69 at the Champs de Mars stop, heading in the direction Gambetta, and ride it to the Quai Francois Mitterand stop which puts you right near the Louvre. There may be lines there as well (have to go through security screening similar to airport) but if you enter from the Carrousel du Louvre it is usually easier/quicker. After the museum stroll toward Chatelet Les Halles where you pick up RER B back to CDG. Along the way to stop for a bite to eat at a place that strikes your fancy.
You can plan routes and times online using the interactive map at www.ratp.com or if negotiating public transit is intimidating just take a taxi from ET to Louvre.
And don't forget that you will need to be back at CDG in time to re-clear security, which can be a slow process.

travelhorizons Jun 10th, 2009 08:49 PM

Pay attention to the variables in your plan... the goal should be to preserve as many of your 12 hours as possible.

(1) First, just hope your that flight JFK-CDG arrives in Paris on time. You could easily lose an hour or more from flight delays.

(2) Also take into account your need to return to CDG and get through the not-terribly-efficient security checkpoints to reach your gate for your flight to Rome. Some gates have buses to the plane, not jetways, which is another time robber. You should get your boarding pass to Rome when you check in at JFK. Just make sure you know exactly which terminal (and gate) you'll be wanting to return to at CDG ... and how to get there from the RER station.

(3) Immigration in Paris can be slow. You can save some time there with a VIP reception. Although somewhat costly, you can be met on your jetway by a hostess carrying your sign and fast-tracked through immigration.

(4) Make sure your baggage is checked all the way through to Rome. Even if your airline charges you to check your bags, it will be worth it -- otherwise you'll have to store them someplace (and spend more time getting them from storage). Also, make sure that your carryon is as light as possible, because you'll be carrying it all over Paris.

(5) Do your homework on how to get to the RER station and your various options for rail tickets so that you can quickly purchase whatever you need.

(6) Plan on getting a one-day Paris Museum Pass (or pre-purchase a ticket for the Louvre). Also figure out in advance how to bypass the long lines at the pyramid (i.e., the Passage Richlieu entrance). This will save you a considerable amount of time waiting in the ticket lines at the Louvre. You can easily spend all day at the Louvre and see only a tiny fraction of what's on display. Plan your visit so that you know which wings most interest you and the most efficient path to cover those bases; the Louvre has an excellent website that can help you do just this.

(7) The Eiffel Tower is about 2.5 miles from the Louvre - about a 50 minute walk - or much quicker taking the Metro. Again, the right kind of rail ticket can include your RER trains to/from CDG and unlimited use of the Metro. Again, the Eiffel Tower is an iconic sight to see - but the lines to take the elevator to the top are long - and time is your scarcest commodity here. I'm not sure this would be my top priority.

How would I spend a few hours in Paris? I have a Walking Tour of the Heart of Paris that can be downloaded here: http://tinyurl.com/nbucyl . It's basically a circular route from the Place de la Concorde (to the west -where you can get a great view of the Eiffel Tower from the middle of the Pont de la Concorde) ... to the Ile St-Louis (to the east). It will take you by the Louvre, Notre-Dame, and other major sites.

If you want to splurge — but pack as much into your jet-lagged day as possible, the money-is-no-object approach would be to hire a private guide to meet you at CDG and shepherd you through the entire day, getting you back in time to get your flight to Rome.

Robespierre Jun 10th, 2009 09:39 PM

The transport ticket you want is the <I>Paris Visite</i> one-day pass (<I>paree veezeet unh zhoor, seel voo play</i>) for 18,50&euro;. It will get you to Paris and back to CDG on the suburban rail (RER) plus unlimited bus and M&eacute;tro all over Paris.

When you buy your pass, ask for <I>luh grahn plahn duh paree</i> and you will get a huge free M&eacute;tro/bus map of the city which also shows the streets and monuments.

A nice little jaunt starts at Gare du Nord with the N&deg; 42 bus, which winds its way past many of the famous landmarks on the Right Bank on its way to the Eiffel Tower. From there, you can make your way back to the Louvre, which gets you headed towards the airport.

Studman Jun 11th, 2009 09:14 AM

Wow Thanks and this is exactly what I was looking for.
You guys have helped out a bunch
Here is what I am thinking

Pay attention to the variables in your plan... the goal should be to preserve as many of your 12 hours as possible.

(1) First, just hope your that flight JFK-CDG arrives in Paris on time. You could easily lose an hour or more from flight delays.

Te flight getting delayed only gives us less time in Paris.
With a 12 hr layover I was thinking of using 8hrs to go into paris leaving 4 hours to return and get to the plane.

(2) Also take into account your need to return to CDG and get through the not-terribly-efficient security checkpoints to reach your gate for your flight to Rome. Some gates have buses to the plane, not jetways, which is another time robber. You should get your boarding pass to Rome when you check in at JFK. Just make sure you know exactly which terminal (and gate) you'll be wanting to return to at CDG ... and how to get there from the RER station.

How long do you think I would need to get through the security and to the gate?

(3) Immigration in Paris can be slow. You can save some time there with a VIP reception. Although somewhat costly, you can be met on your jetway by a hostess carrying your sign and fast-tracked through immigration.

VIP?? how and cost?? We are flying 1st class with Air France , Thoughts?

(4) Make sure your baggage is checked all the way through to Rome. Even if your airline charges you to check your bags, it will be worth it -- otherwise you'll have to store them someplace (and spend more time getting them from storage). Also, make sure that your carryon is as light as possible, because you'll be carrying it all over Paris.

I was assuming the luggage would be taken care of by the airline, am I worng to think this way? would they make us collect the luggage and then RE-Check it? I don't see why.

(5) Do your homework on how to get to the RER station and your various options for rail tickets so that you can quickly purchase whatever you need.

Working on it

(6) Plan on getting a one-day Paris Museum Pass (or pre-purchase a ticket for the Louvre). Also figure out in advance how to bypass the long lines at the pyramid (i.e., the Passage Richlieu entrance). This will save you a considerable amount of time waiting in the ticket lines at the Louvre. You can easily spend all day at the Louvre and see only a tiny fraction of what's on display. Plan your visit so that you know which wings most interest you and the most efficient path to cover those bases; the Louvre has an excellent website that can help you do just this.

(7) The Eiffel Tower is about 2.5 miles from the Louvre - about a 50 minute walk - or much quicker taking the Metro. Again, the right kind of rail ticket can include your RER trains to/from CDG and unlimited use of the Metro. Again, the Eiffel Tower is an iconic sight to see - but the lines to take the elevator to the top are long - and time is your scarcest commodity here. I'm not sure this would be my top priority.

How would I spend a few hours in Paris? I have a Walking Tour of the Heart of Paris that can be downloaded here: http://tinyurl.com/nbucyl . It's basically a circular route from the Place de la Concorde (to the west -where you can get a great view of the Eiffel Tower from the middle of the Pont de la Concorde) ... to the Ile St-Louis (to the east). It will take you by the Louvre, Notre-Dame, and other major sites.

If you want to splurge — but pack as much into your jet-lagged day as possible, the money-is-no-object approach would be to hire a private guide to meet you at CDG and shepherd you through the entire day, getting you back in time to get your flight to Rome.

thanks for allof your help

Studman

Studman Jun 11th, 2009 09:19 AM

Travel,
thanks again for the in- depth post.
It's a great help.
you wouldn't happen to have a walk around for Rome would you?

Again thanks
Studman

BobbyPam Jun 11th, 2009 03:39 PM

Hi Studman -

I just came back from my trip to Paris, so I hope that my suggestions will help you. I suggest taking a river cruise along the Seine, then ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower (it's just across the street from the river cruises), and then if you still have enough energy, head to the stunning Musee Rodin, which has a lovely garden. Half of the fun in Paris is just sitting at a cafe and watching people go by. Take taxis instead of the Metro because you'll see more of the city.

travelhorizons Jun 11th, 2009 06:11 PM

Sorry that I don't have a walking map of Rome... Rome is not as easy to walk as Paris. Things are more spread out. One of the cool things you can do in Rome is a Sedgeway Tour!

To get a VIP reception in Paris when you get off the plane, call First Limousine Paris (877.707.9836). Most limo companies can probably arrange it for you.