Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to see in Paris for one day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-see-in-paris-for-one-day-579689/)

rd1 Jan 7th, 2006 05:52 PM

What to see in Paris for one day

Hello I will be in Paris for one day this March and want to know what people reccommend I see. I definatley want to see the louver, notre dame and the eiffel tower (even if I do not get to go up) what can be done and is feasable to do in one day. I am so excited this is my first trip to europe I will be in England for the remainder of the trip and have posted questions there as well
Thanks

LizQ Jan 7th, 2006 06:15 PM

Yes you can do this - if you literally run through the Louvre. But here's another idea. Get a one day pass on the Seine boat taxi, which allows you to travel all day and stop at various places along the Seine. Go see Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. Instead of the Lovre, go to the Musee D'Orsay, which has so many paintings from the Impressionist artists, like Monet.

Stop for lunch at a small bistro.
Just a thought.

Scarlett Jan 7th, 2006 06:18 PM

Walk from the D'Orsay to the Eiffel Tower along the Seine, an easy walk and the best way to see Paris is on foot ( and on the boat :)
If you go into the Louvre, just pick one thing that you absolutely want to see and go to it. You will pass things on the way- and get an idea of the scope of the place!! You would have to live there and go there every day for months to see everything.

Christina Jan 7th, 2006 07:06 PM

I don't see any reason you can't do this. Notre Dame shouldn't take that long, nor the Eiffel Tower (more time if you want to go up and need to stand in line a while, but that varied by the time you go). I like museums and art, but I have never spent more than 3-4 hours in the Louvre in one day, I just don't like spending an entire day in the Louvre. You will be able to see plenty in the Louvre in that time, not just run through it. You just have to pick out a few areas that are of special interest to you within the Louvre.

Robespierre Jan 7th, 2006 07:21 PM

You can see a lot (if you don't care about seeing anything in any depth) with a transport pass and this map:

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...aux&amp;fm=pdf
</b>

The pass will get you a discount on the batobus.com - which is also a good idea.

Nikki Jan 7th, 2006 07:34 PM

When you see Notre Dame, you should make an effort to get to Sainte Chapelle as well. It is also on Ile de la Cite, not far from Notre Dame. I was so entranced by the slides my French teacher showed us in high school that I made a special effort to get to Sainte Chapelle many years later to see the amazing stained glass, which appears to be the only thing holding up the structure from the inside and which, on a sunny day, bathes the interior with wonderful colored light.

AnthonyGA Jan 7th, 2006 07:35 PM

You can easily see Notre-Dame, the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower in a day, as long as you don't linger too much at any of these sights, and provided that you plan your movements a bit in advance. I've done more than this in single-day tours of nine hours, particularly if you are coming in by Eurostar (as I assume you will be).

TarheelsInNj Jan 7th, 2006 08:18 PM

If you decide you definitely want to go in the Louvre, please be sure to get your tickets ahead of time. Standing in line would not be a good use of your precious time in Paris!

Also, this may go without saying, but make sure the Louvre is actually open on the day you'll be in town. It is closed on Tuesdays and some holidays.

Enjoy! :)

rd1 Jan 8th, 2006 10:50 AM

Hi Thanks for the advice! I heard I can get a museum pass at the eurostar station and then not have to wait in line. At the louvre I know I would not be able to see everything I want to see the mona lisa and my son who is 7 wants me to see the Venus di milo and tell him all about it. Th river cruise seems like a good idea. Now should I take one of those open buses that I can get on and off or is it easy enough to use public transportation?
Thanks again!

valtor Jan 8th, 2006 11:06 AM

As you have only one day, and as I understand that is your first visit in Paris, I think that is better to leave Louvre for another time!
Paris is so a beautiful city, you must walk on its streets to feel it!
Taake a walk on Champ Elisee - have here a coffee and a cake, see Eiffel Tower, Trocadero, Arc de Triumph. See Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle. See Dom des Invalides. Take a river cruise.

You will not have time for Louvre. If you want, just walk on Rue de Rivoli to see the exterior of the Louvre and the arcades of the street, and enter only in the interior yards of the museum to see the Pyramide and the Carousel Arch.

This is was I made in my first day in Paris (when I arrived there because a delayed flight, and I had as you, only one day). Even I returned many time in Paris after this, I still remember this first visit as something very special.

AnthonyGA Jan 8th, 2006 11:34 AM

You don't necessarily need to stand in line for tickets at the Louvre, unless you try to go in through the main entrance. And you can see the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo in well under one hour. Admission is only a few euro.