Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to see in Paris after you've hit the highlights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're on our fourth trip to Paris - fortunately, my business allows me to travel there fairly frequently. We've hit all the highlights, and have even had some elegant dinners at great restaurants with some of my suppliers. For those of you very familiar with Paris, what's off the beaten path that you really loved to see or do?

Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi

Have you been to the Jacquemart-Andre Museum? The Parc Monceau?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:50 AM
dumas1870

Here's a few ideas:

Musee Marmotten (Impressionists)

Musee de Cluny (Middle Ages)

Le Musee Nissim de Camondo

Le Musee National Eugene Delacroix

Saint Eustache Cathedral

Eglise St. Sulpice

Eglise St. Germain-des-Pres

Le Musee de Montmartre

Le Musee Cognacq-Jay

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM

Take the RER to Chatou and have lunch at La Maison Fournaise, where Renoir painted "Luncheon of the Boating Party."

Take a walk along the Canal St-Martin.

Check out the Mosquée de Paris and its tearoom.

Visit the St-Alexandre-Nevsky Cathedral.

Go to the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont.

Check out the Musée Edith Piaf.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:14 AM

Have you seen Paris Story? Very clever multimedia presentation playing hourly on the hour. Across the street from the Opera Garnier at 11 bis r. Scribe, next door to the American Express. Then walk up to Haussman and make a left. There is a nice view and a little cafeteria on the roof deck of the second Au Printemps building. The first building is the one with the marvelous glass dome over Cafe Flo.

The tour in english of the Opera, which lasts about 1.5 hours, is extremely worthwhile. It was at noon when I attended.

Then there are the covered passsages in the 2nd. Google for the translation of passages couverts.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:35 AM

Hotel de Soubise is a short stop, but a pretty one to see the furniture and the interior decorating. It is on rue des Francs Bourgeois.

The other suggestions are excellent.
Do you consider Musee Rodin a highlight?
If not, it is most rewarding.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:01 AM

If you haven't watched the roller skaters on Friday night, please do. On thursday go to pari-roller.com to find out the schedule. They go fast and depart around 10 p.m. from in front of Gare Monparnasse. Get a table at a sidewalk cafe, order your favorite drink and watch the fun. You will see the blue lights first, then for 15 min. or so they will skate by. An ambulance follows. Great fun! CJ
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:52 AM

Have you been to the Chateau de Vincennes? (Just take the Metro to the end of the line). How about the Canal St. Martin? (boat ride through a number of locks on the canal). Have you been to the top of Montparnasse Tower (most people seem to skip this unless they have been to Paris a number of times). How about Vaux le Vicomte? (Train to Melun and then taxi to the chateau).
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:58 AM

how about this:
Viaduc des Arts. in the 12th, www.viaduc-des-arts.com
You can take a stroll down the nearby Promenade Plantee, a raised walkway runniing along Avenue Daumesnil, but you can also walk on ground level along a former railway viaduct where each of the brick and limestone arches forms a structure housing a shop or studio of a designer or craftsperson. Products include copper bowls, tables tapestries, embroidery kit, musical instruments, tiles, plates, chandeliers.

This can be combined with Canal St Martin mentioned above.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM

If you have any interest in Asian art, check out the Musee Guimet (Metro stop Iena, closed Tues.). They have some amazing things, particularly from Angkor Wat in Cambodia. (Remember, much of SE Asia used to be French Indo-china.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:16 AM

Where is this Canal St. Martin several posters have mentioned, and how long a trip is it?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM

For a long walk that parallels the Canal St Martin, start at the
Jaures Metro stop at the Place de Stalingrad. The following suggestions were taken from the 9/16/01 New York Times magazine:
After an inauspicious start, you will find yourself walking along cobble-stoned quays, passing fishermen, boats, and parks. Along Quai Valmy there are many bistros and cafes to have lunch or a snack. On the other side of Rue du Faubourg du Temple, you pick up a wide street of gardens and playgrounds, surrounded by handsome apartment buildings. On Thurs or Sun mornings, there is an outdoor market there, stretching all the way to the Bastille column. You can stop for lunch or Sunday brunch at Bofinger at 5-7 rue de la Bastille, or at the ViaducCafe, 43 Avenue Daumesnil which has a Sunday jazz brunch all afternoon. Both restaurants are open every day. The Viaduc des Arts has 59 shops and restaurants (see more info elsewhere in these notes). From the Viaduc des Arts arcade you can climb steps up to the Promenade Plantee park, which runs for almost three miles. For metros back to your place of residence, you can pick one up at either the Michel Bizot or Porte Doree stop (the latter is at the edge of the Bois de Vincennes, another beautiful park.

From Fodor?s forum, Jan 2001
"My favorite boat ride ever is the one on Canal Saint Martin. My wife and I took it on a beautiful summer day. We first visited the Musee de la Musique at La Villette in the 19th. Anyone who is interested in music and history should visit this museum. The boat leaves form a dock near the La Cite des Sciences et de l'Industrie. I believe it is about 40ff per ticket and is a lovely 2 hour meandering cruise through some very interesting parts of Paris, beginning in the 19th and ending up, after passing underneath the place de la Bastille, the surprising Port de Plaisane de Paris
Arsenal which borders on the 4th. The entire time they play classic Edith Piaf and other French songs of the period. There is also a description of the passing sights. It is much more intimate than the Bateaux Mouches and more French than tourists. If you are lucky and have
beautiful weather as we did, it will be something that you'll never forget."
www.pariscanal.com/croisieresdemigb.htm

Elaine's note: That canal ride is one-way, takes about 3 hours. If you want a round-trip (6 hours!) you have to pay again. If you get on just east of the Musee d'Orsay, you will get out near Parc Villette. Metro stop is a short walk through the park.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:31 PM
dln

How about a stroll through the cemetary in which Jim Morrison is buried? It's really a very beautiful serene place.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"stroll through the cemetary in which Jim Morrison is buried.."

I once thought People Are Strange who go to cemetaries. Cemetaries of rock stars just didn't Light My Fire. But when I decided to Break On Through past my reservations, I found that a pretty cemetary could really Touch Me. Now, if you don't mind, I will wait for my L.A. Woman to get home because I Love Her Madly. The End.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:02 PM

Almost the exact same question on June 2, 2003. Try the following:

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....en_name=jsmith
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
dln

Yes, but Maitaitom wasn't singing in that one.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
ira

Very good, Tom.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM

I'm sure if Jim could just get out of that grave, he would look at all his admirers and say, Hello, I Love You.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:44 PM

Oh Maitaitom, you do inspire me

Jim might say, When The Music Is Over and The Riders of the Storm are gone, then I bet you Five to One, that we will be sitting here, with our honeys, Waiting For The Sun.

cool~
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:58 PM

Talk about a strange coincidence about this thread. I just heard on MSNBC that it was 32 years ago today that Jim Morrison died. "Well, no time to wallow in the mire", but Rod Serling would have loved this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -