Reload this Page >

What to see in Nice, France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Bob

Is there anything to really see or do in Nice, France that should not be missed?

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Carrie

I guess that all depends on what time of year you are going and what you like to do. I've been to France twice and have been to Nice both times. The first time was with a guided tour. We were there at the end of June for the Fete de la Musique... The city is vibrant at this time of year, with people playing musique in the street and bands set up everywhere. The second time I was there was in the winter... For Carnival (a week to 2 week extravaganza that ends, I believe in Mardi Gras!). Otherwise, there are a few museums including that of Henri Matisse. Also, if you like the beach, that's good for the summer because it can get very hot. It just all depends what your tastes are.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:03 AM
Carol

If you're going to be in Nice, the following shouldn't be missed: the old town and especially the flower market on the Cours Saleya; the Matisse Museum; the Chagall museum; the Beaux Arts museum (20th century artists, e.g., Dufy, who painted on the Riviera); the old port area near the opera house; the Hotel Negresco for its Belle Epoque style. Plenty to see and do in Nice, it's a relatively large city for its location and lots of fun to wander around in.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 12:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Bob, Carol is right on for Nice but I <BR>would prefer to stay in Menton about <BR>:30 east of there and day trip from there---a beautiful place.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 12:53 PM
elvira

Be sure to visit the Vieux Ville (pedestrian zone, sort of) with its outdoor fish market, produce marts and gourmet food shops (olive oil to die for). There's a square near the church with several cafes to sit and people watch (lots of hills and cobblestones, so wear flat shoes, or you'll be seeing the inside of a French ambulance). <BR> <BR>Be sure to get pizza with an egg on it, and Nicoise olives...

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Steve

You seem to be asking if a trip (or side trip) to Nice is worthwhile. Others may feel differently, but the smaller towns (like Menton and others) to me are just as nice (no pun) and less crowded. The traffic around Nice was horrible last May when we drove thru, the beaches really aren't that great, and the quaint things you will see in Nice can, for the most part, be found in smaller coastal or "near coastal" towns. There are many web sites devoted to these type French towns. Check them out.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 04:09 AM
Mary

Just got back from Nice on Monday night. I agree with everyone above. Just to meander the streets or the Promenade des Anglais is neat. There are so many small towns nearby (Vence, Eze, Menton, etc.)for day trips. The flower market is heavenly (the scent of the fresh flowers!!). There are all types of restaurants with great food. My favorite, this trip, was the Moules Marinere (mussels steamed in wine and shallots). Have a great time.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Mags

Agree with everyone. Nice is wonderful but don't miss a drive on the highest corniche to Eze and Menton also get to Monaco if you can. There are several little towns that are all beautiful. Yes Moules mariniere UMMMM.....!Enjoy

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Ellen

On my last trip to Nice, I was so busy exploring all the little villages, I never saw much of Nice itself! <BR> <BR>Nice made an excellent base for seeing villages like Eze village, Vence, St. Paul de Vence and other parts of the Riviera like Cannes and Antibes. I did not have a car and relied upon public transportation and Nice made a good base in terms of variety of restaurants and lower cost accomodations! I think there would be plenty to keep you see in the vicinity! <BR>Ellen