Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to see in Copenhagen in 5 hours? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-see-in-copenhagen-in-5-hours-183676/)

Jane Mar 27th, 2002 07:42 PM

What to see in Copenhagen in 5 hours?

We have a 6-hour layover in Copenhagan the end of June, but have heard the airport is a long way from the city. What would travel veterans suggest?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

mh Mar 27th, 2002 10:54 PM

that is not true at all. I spent a week there in the beginning of this month. I drove my car and got lost trying to leave the city. I could not find the autoabahn signs so I kept driving along this major street and guess what? this street goes right thru the airport where the autobahn is. I commented to my new hubby that the airport sure is right in the city. So you should be able to take a cab into town, check out Tivoli, the mermaid, walk around, and have some lunch. Beware this city is expensive and a cup of take out coffee cost me 4 euro...

ttt Mar 28th, 2002 03:52 AM

ttt

Don Mar 28th, 2002 04:42 AM

Train from the airport to city centre takes about 12 minutes and costs about $2.75 each way. I highly recommend you take the train, walk through Stroget (the pedestrian mall) to Nyhavn (the waterfront) and back, maybe take a taxi to Rosenborg Castle (could walk, but taxi better with a short time frame), National Gallery nearby, the Round Tower in middle of Stroget for views, a canal boat ride, and a smorrebrod sandwich with a glass of Tuborg Gron or Tuborg Classic beer at an outdoor cafe. Or, cross the street from Central Stn. and spend a few hours at Tivoli and the adjacent Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek art musuem.

Curious Mar 28th, 2002 05:41 AM

Can someone tell me what the Tivoli is? Thanks.

MH Mar 28th, 2002 06:41 AM

Tivoli is a large amusement park that is really charming, with a big ferris wheel and carousal.It is right in the middle of the city.

Joe Mar 28th, 2002 08:29 AM

Jane: Don has hit the things to do, but it could not all be done in what will be more like four available hours on a six hour layover. I would take a taxi into the City in order to save time (no schedules; just exit the airport and grab a cab. It will cost you about $25. Have the driver drop you at the City Hall. Across the street is the beginning of the Stroget. Follow Don's advice, but focus on the side streets which are less touristy. After Nyhaven, go left to the Rosenborg Castle (very worthwhile). You can see the spires from Nyhaven. Quick tour and back through Nyhaven to the water. Follow waterside past Amalienborg Castle (Queen's residence) to the Little Mermaid (corny, but have to see it to say you were in Copenhagen). Very pretty walk. Stroll back through the Kastellet or Fort and grab a cab whenever you have run out of time. You really can't do any of this AND see Tivoli, so save it for another trip.

janis Mar 28th, 2002 08:35 AM

remember you will only actually have about 2 or 3 hours free. It takes a while to clear customs/immigration before you can go into the city. Then you must check in back at the airport 2 hours prior to you on-going flight. <BR><BR>You will have time to get into the city - but not time for any ambitious sightseeing.