What to see in Athens for 4 days?

Aug 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

What to see in Athens for 4 days?

My girlfriend and I (early 30s) are arriving in Athens on Aug 28 3pm and leaving on Sept 2 (12pm) and wondering of the places we can see in and around Athens. We would like to spend couple of days in the city and maybe a day visiting places around it. And for places around it, do people take tours ?

Appreciate all your suggestions. Thank you.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM

The city itself can keep you occupied for days! For a short day trip out Sounion is the most recommended. Alternatively a short trip to the coast at Glyfada or Vougliameni makes a nice day out too.
A €12 ticket will get you into most of the central historical sites, cheaper than paying for them all individually.
The views from Lycabettus Hill & Philapapou Hill are well worth it. National Archaeologolical Museum, Benaki Museum, & the new Acropolis Museum, as well as numerous others to choose from are well worth some time too.
The Changing of the Guard at Syntagma, a wander around Plaka, the National Gardens, just relaxing over a coffee or a beer watching the world go by, the flea market at Monastiraki on a Sunday morning, the list is endless!
This site is useful, it has update on special events too,
http://www.breathtakingathens.gr/
There are many others, just google Athens & you will be overwhelmed with info!
You will find that most hotels provide you with a free pocket map of central Athens, very handy for walking around, which is the best way for most of the sites as many are within a small central area.
Have fun!!
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I forgot to say, the days out can easily be done on public transport.
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Yiassas.

So how do I arrange for the day trips to Sounion and I have heard of Delphi as well, is that worth it?

Also you mention that a "A €12 ticket will get you into most of the central historical sites, cheaper than paying for them all individually" .Does that mean that a one €12 will get me to all sites? Where do I purchase this ticket?

Thanks again.
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM

You can purchase that ticket at any of the historical sites covered by the ticket, including the Acropolis, ancient Agora and the Temple of Zeus. We got ours at the Temple of Zeus and then didn't have to stand in line to buy tickets at the other sites.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM

As cheryllj says, any of the sites, & it is a good idea to purchase it at a less busy site!
To go to Sounion you can go by public bus, either from a stop near Victoria Metro Station or from Syntagma. Ticket costs €5.20-5.70. Buses depart every 40-90 minutes depending on the time and day.
Delphi is tough to do as a day trip, to make it worth seeing it is better to have an overnight stay, the site is large & it's about 3 hrs each way by public bus. If you want to consider an organised day tour for this take a look at Chat tours or Go tours, there are others & there will be leaflets for them at your hotel reception. They should also be able to help you book.
One point to remember, when you use the trams, trolleys & buses in the city or to & from the airport, you must validate your ticket in one of the machines on board, for the Metro you do this in a machine before going to the train platform.
One thing you haven't mentioned is where you're staying? If central all of these things are very easy, if further out you need to know the best way to get into the centre.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at AT VOULIAGMENI BEACH, and the hotel provides shuttle service to the city centre.

Based on where we are staying, does that mean that the following places are really close?

Cape Sounion - Temple of Poseidon
Vouliagmeni
Glyfada

Thanks