Search

What to read for France?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to read for France?

Actually, specifically for the Loire Valley region? We'll be spending 5 days in Loire, near Tours & Amboise. I don't really like reading boring books just about history. I like historic fiction more.

The kind of books I've enjoyed reading are:
City of Falling Angels, Girl with Pearl Earring, Brunelleschi's Dome, I was Vermeer, Pompeii by Robert Harris, The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr, books by Peter Mayle.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM

You could read some Balzac: <i>Le Cur&eacute; de Tour</i>, <i>Eug&eacute;nie Grandet</i>, <i>La Vieille Fille</i>.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM

For a good cultural overview, I heartily recommend &quot;French or Foe.&quot; That will give you good tips on how to manage day-to-day life in France.

There are many books about French history that are not boring, including several about Eleanor of Aquitaine. Offhand I can't think about a book set in the Loire Valley, but I'll give it some thought.

There's an earlier thread here on books to read before a trip to France; try doing a search for it.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Based on the books you've enjoyed, I think you would like Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland, who also wrote Girl in Hyacinth Blue. Vreeland describes how Renoir chose the people for his painting and also describes French society and culture at that time. &quot;The Seattle Times even calls Luncheon this summer's most satisfying historical novel.&quot; Louisa
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM
yk
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I second the suggestion re: Eleanor of Aquitane.
Specific to Loire there is a book (maybe it's called &quot;Moon and Serpent&quot; about Diana de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici). They both lived at Chenonceau.
Caro's &quot;Road to the Past&quot; has been recommended here many times--not sure if it goes through Loire or not.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Perfume.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I found a lot of good suggestions for books about France on this thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

I am not sure if any are about the Loire valley -- none that I have read are
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Courtesan by Diane Haeger -- a fascinating novel about Diane de Poitiers (mistress of Henri II), mostly set at Chenonceau. (The author also wrote The Ruby Ring about Raphael's mistress.) And you should definitely get Ina Caro's Road to the Past -- it's not fiction, but sort of gossipy history, with a lot about the Loire Valley. We took that book with us to the Loire, and found it a great guide.

Also, rent the movie, &quot;The Lion in Winter,&quot; about Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine, set at the chateau of Chinon. The original with Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole is the best, but the remake with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close is pretty good, too. There are also quite a few biographies of Eleanor of Aquitaine. I haven't read most of them, but I did like &quot;A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver,&quot; a fictional version of her life by E.L. Konigsburg. It's a YA book, so a quick read, but quite well done.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Very suitable reading for travel in France. You will love it.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Another vote for Ina Caro's &quot;Road to the Past&quot;, my favorite book about France. Another good choice is &quot;Traveler's Tales France&quot; which is a collection of true stories from various travel writers -- entertaining and insightful.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have taken out Eleanor of Aquitaine from the library already, and have put in a request for Courtesan by Diane Haeger and Ina Caro's book.

Here's a slightly older thread I've found that has many good suggestions also. For my own future reference
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34843126
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Dorothy Dunnett's 'Lymond Chronicles'.

Simply the best........
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
yk
Original Poster

FYI-

We're leaving for our trip in 2 days. In the last 3 weeks, I managed to read Weir's Eleanor of Aquitaine. I found it rather tedious to read, but will make our visit to Fontevraud Abbey more interesting.

I also read the Loire Valley section of Ina Caro's &quot;The Road from the Past.&quot;

Now I'm starting Diane Haeger's Courtesan. I will be bringing it on the trip to read.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:24 AM

I'm currently reading and enjoying Abundance by Naslund - historical fiction about Marie Antoinette.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I have &quot;Abundance&quot; on my pile to read next. It had been 30 years since I read &quot;The Three Musketeers&quot;. A recent showing of the movie reinterested me and I just read 100 pages today. I'm reading a new translation and that may make a difference.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
tod

hopingtotravel - Try and get hold of &quot;Into a Paris Quartier&quot; by Diane Johnson if you are into the Musketeers story - and lots more besides.
One chapter is titled &quot; D'Artagnan's Paris&quot; - I just loved this book!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM

For lighter fare, don't miss Peter Mayle's &quot;mystery&quot; novels. Mostly southern France, a lot of fun to read. He really does make me laugh-out-loud and I enjoy the way he sprinkles French into his sentences.

I liked them all, but especially Hotel Pastis and A Good Year.