What to Pack for Ireland in July

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to Pack for Ireland in July

We (myself, spouse, and four sons) will be leaving for Ireland at the beginning of July and will be there for three weeks. Should we pack shorts or just long pants? I know to expect rain, so we will be bringing raincoats. Any other suggestions regarding what to pack?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I'm a shorts person as long as the temperature is 55 and above. Be comfortable, have a good time, and wear pants in the evening.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM

It can get fairly cool at night. We were there in late June and wore both. Think Boston or Seatle.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM

I was there in July a few years ago and it was chilly and rainy for the first few days and then it warmed up a bit. I think you need to take a little bit of everything including an umbrella.
Ireland is a very beautiful country.
40 shades of green and their not kidding, Enjoy and write a trip report when you come baqck if you can, I am sure people would love to read it. natjgc
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:08 PM

You may run into a couple of days warm enough for shorts - but it may never go above 65. And although there is rarely very heavy rain like you get in the US in summer it can mist VERY frequently. So make sure your shoes are water resistant.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Don't forget to get up the crack of dawn to smell the Derry air.

H
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A mac!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Hi Tracy. I don't think it is ever hot enough to "require" shorts. I usually travel in May and wouldn't even consider wearing them then.

I always have raingear including rain pants, the packable kind. Because it can get pretty windy, we usually bring small umbrellas but don't use them much.

Bill
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM

I wore pants (jeans) everyday with a light jacket. That was in August and I'm from a cold, rainy place! My husband usually wears shorts at home and mostly wore pants in Ireland.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM

I live here and never wear shorts unless its really hot and then never to work etc. Bought my first pair in years a few weeks back due to the heatwave. Layers and light vclothes are fine with a sweater and light jacket. It doesn't rain every day here contrary to what most people think. Today is hazy/clouudy but will probably just stay that way all day!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM

just back...
when we arrived rainy and chilly, when we left it was sunny and warming up...to 70's (that is warm there, but usually cooler in evening and near windy coasts).

we were most comfortable with jeans, short sleave tops...with light sweater and rain/wind jacket always close by for layering, did take wear capris too.

my 12 year-old nephew (because that's what boys do) no matter the weather often wore jean shorts with shirt and sweatshirt...packed very little,bought a 2 sweatshirts/sport shirts there too...so don't worry if they won't pack...can buy as souvenires

packed 2 pairs of dark pants for evening(church), comfy/not dressy

wore tennis shoes for walking and comfy flats for evening

we all packed less and used fabreeze...some even did the old trick-pack old undies/socks and disposed along the way to make room for shopping

1 med/sm. roll on and small carry-on each
(we did pack xtra duffle for dirty clothes and xtras that we picked up on the way)...you will be very sorry if you have heavy/big bags or more that one each

check ahead...all of our b&b's (unlike last visit) had hair dryers, soap, shampoo (did need conditioner) could have saved on space.

just FYI...saw very few kids in shorts, no adults (some women did wear capris)

don't pack an umbrella...if raining that hard...it will be too windy to use anyway, be sure jacket has hood...guys just wore their caps

don't forget extra camera batteries, and be careful with chargers...even with converters, we blew our charger on first day and had to buy one (expensive)...bring more film/clips... we had 5 memory clips and still had one downloaded onto a disk there!

bring email addresses...fun to jump on line and keep in touch with friends/family back home...easier to find places to get on-line now, even in small towns.

buy each person a small spiral notepad to use as a journal...the kids were actually very good at journaling during the trip

I also bring extra baggies for keeping souvenires/film/etc. organized

with kids...pack some xtra snacks/bottled water for plane

fun to look for and collect euros from different countries...check coins
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:06 AM

We were in Ireland last July 1st to 15th and we packed a bit of everything from shorts & bathing suits to pants and sweatshirts. Believe me we used it all. In the NW it was chilly and windy and we needed the jackets and pants (I wish I had packed some light gloves). In Galway and Bunratty it was hot and muggy (Mid to high 80's) and we were glad that we packed the shorts. Even though you might read that no one in Ireland wears shorts, don't beleive it. We saw a LOT of people wearing them. Don't forget in the sun it's a least 10 degrees warmer than in the shade. When we return this Sept I will throw in a few pairs of shorts just in case we get some nice weather. Have fun.