Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to pack for a winter trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-pack-for-a-winter-trip-1139984/)

Loacker Oct 29th, 2016 10:23 AM

What to pack for a winter trip?

I'm going to Paris and Prague on Christmas. This will be the first time I travel in winter.

I want to keep my luggage as light as possible.

Will a wool pea coat be enough? I'm planning to bring wool pants, cashmere sweaters, and leather sneakers. From previous posts most people seem to suggest a trench or anorak but I don't think they can protect from the cold.

Bedar Oct 29th, 2016 10:32 AM

A raincoat with a zip-in-out lining helps. Don't forget a scarf, hat,and gloves. You don't want to have to buy any clothing which is expensive in Europe.

joannyc Oct 29th, 2016 10:56 AM

I think I would take a warm boot instead of the sneakers.

Bedar Oct 29th, 2016 11:18 AM

Yes, a boot with a bit of a platform sole.

StCirq Oct 29th, 2016 11:19 AM

It was really cold, and sometimes rainy, in Budapest last week. I had a waterproof, knee-length, hooded, shearling-lined coat and was still cold at times, and yes, I wore layers underneath, including cashmere. I also had sturdy ankle boots, which were a godsend on the old, uneven cobblestones. And yes, I had gloves, a wool scarf, and a hat (that I never wore). If you, like us, plan to be out walking for miles for hours each day, it's imperative to be comfortable and warm. I can't imagine that being the case in a pea coat.

quokka Oct 29th, 2016 11:46 AM

No idea what a pea coat is. But what you really need is a sturdy waterproof and windproof coat with warm lining, best one with a gore-tex or similar membrane, a coat that does not take forever to dry like a woollen one would. It may be sunny at +10°C if you are lucky. The worst weather of all involves temperatures slightly above zero, rain and strong wind, which you are very likely to encounter in Paris. But in Prague you might just as well encounter temperatures around -10 or even -15°C, snow and ice. This is the range you have to prepare for. Now decide if sneakers and your coat would be enough for all these options.

Loacker Oct 29th, 2016 11:58 AM

A peacoat is a short coat made from heavy wool.

Are taxis cheap in Prague? I'm planning to use a taxi or bus tour to avoid walking a lot in the cold.

Bedar Oct 29th, 2016 12:17 PM

If it's a "real" pea coat ( one you've bought from a broke sailor) and not one just in that style, you'll be OK, but I prefer a longer one. Depends what type of cold you've experienced. Nothing so miserable as being underdressed in the bitter cold.

Loacker Oct 29th, 2016 02:06 PM

I was actually planning to spend my Christmas vacation in Thailand and Cambodia but I chickened out because of the fear of getting Dengue fever.

I'd hate to be on my guard the whole time. The cold is easier to put up with.

simpsonc510 Oct 29th, 2016 02:12 PM

Really, Loacker? We have no plans to change our Thailand trip over the holidays. The only consideration right now is making sure we have black (and white) clothing to wear, in honor of the death of the King. The country is/will be in mourning for upwards of 100 days (or for one year, as some are reporting).

Loacker Oct 29th, 2016 02:59 PM

Well, it's a real problem and one of those risks you have to deal with when traveling in that part of the world. I chose not to take that risk.

Btw, you should avoid wearing black as it tends to attract mozzies.

spaarne Oct 29th, 2016 03:03 PM

<i> What to pack for a winter trip?
Posted by: Loacker on Oct 29, 16 at 2:23pm
Posted in: Europe
Tagged: Czech Republic , France </i>

We had pea coats around the house back in the 50's. My Dad was a Naval officer in WW2. The real thing was the best darn winter coat you could wear. I don't know what is being sold as a "pea coat" these days.

You do not need to pack your coat in your luggage. It goes separate, along with your "personal bag." Visit your airline's web site for their specific baggage allowances, checked and cabin.

For an illustrated essay on travel clothing in Europe see http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap05/clothes.htm. My observation is that winter dress in Prague and Paris is upscale. But you've been to Paris so you know that already.

Walking a lot will warm you up. Take a break in a cafe.

nytraveler Oct 29th, 2016 05:08 PM

Prague is on the central european plain and gets a real winter. IMHO a rain coat - no mater with what type of lining woud be enough for cold days. You need a real winter coat. A peas jacket is warm enough bot IMHO too hoset - I prefer things that go to at least mid thigh or down to the knees - esp if it;s alos snowy and windy.

Sneakers are not great, I would have booties (lowish is OK, but make sure they are lined for warmth).

Christina Oct 31st, 2016 08:33 AM

If the pea coat is 100 pct wool (which many coats are not nowadays) it will be fairly warm and wool repeals moisture to some degree. However, if you are going to wear a shorter jacket anyway, I'd go for some kind of down jacket as it will be lighter weight for one thing, and will repeal moisture more. ANd may be warmer. Somethign like this, I guess

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/me...=111&color=100

or this, only I won't buy parkas with fake fur on them, I think it is ugly, this one you can remove it, luckily
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/me...=111&color=630

This would be great as it is a longer trench but down-filled, I think, but it's much more pricey. That's a discount price, though.
http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-nj...F0MTExMDAxNQ==

You should get a low-cut boot at least, something that covers your ankles.

KyraS Oct 31st, 2016 09:34 AM

Layers, lots of layers!

Something warm and cosy for a base layer (I wear a lightweight wool short-sleeved T-shirt in case it's hot indoors somewhere, or a long-sleeved heavier wool base layer if I will be outdoors all day in colder temperatures.)

Then additional layers as needed and desired. That depends on what you prefer and how much you feel the cold at different temperatures and levels of activity.

Wool socks (I like Smartwool), gloves, a hat or something to cover your ears, and a scarf.

Reasonably waterproof shoes with a good sole, comfortable, that fit well and are broken in for lots of walking.

And for the outermost layer, I'd choose something windproof and water-resistant, if not waterproof.

Hope you have a good trip.

aliced Oct 31st, 2016 11:42 AM

Merino wool baselayers, hooded down jacket at least hip length, boots with thick sole & Smartwool socks (or other Merino brands). Gloves & scarves, one in wool one in silk (both provide warmth). People suggest anoraks & parkas as they are usually water repellant, or preferably, waterproof. Wool coat would absorb water and take forever to dry.

denisea Oct 31st, 2016 01:32 PM

For me, I want warm shoes that at least are water resistant. Agree on the SmartWool socks. I always take some of those hand warmers that activate when you open the package. They also have them for your feet and body but usually the hand warmers is good for me.

Loacker Nov 6th, 2016 12:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful tips. I'm looking at the merino base layers on the Smartwool website. Wouldn't those uncomfortably warm inside museums and heated indoors?

denisea Nov 6th, 2016 03:12 PM

You have to layer so you can remove items when indoors...I am hot in museums without base layers. I have worn synthetic base layers as they tend to dry faster than merino wool. REI has a good page on choosing those layers but really these are meant to wear for outdoor activities. Don't over do it with thermal underwear layers if you will be spending time indoors.