Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to pack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-pack-482233/)

Globetrotter260 Oct 24th, 2004 03:12 PM

What to pack?

Just wondering if anyone could make a few suggestions as to what I should pack for my trip to Portugal and Spain. I will be there mid November. I will be in Lisbon and the Algrave area. I have checked the weather and it is around 20 degrees...which to me is quite warm (being from Canada) but others may have different ideas as to what is warm! Sleveless dress for dining out...too cold?

PLMN Oct 24th, 2004 03:18 PM

Globetrotter-

20 degrees is WARM? Even if you are from Canada? :)

baker Oct 24th, 2004 03:21 PM

As another Cnd..she probably means 20 degrees Celcius. Yes, even we would find 20 degrees F to be cold.

Globetrotter260 Oct 24th, 2004 03:21 PM

That is Celcius of course! And after the summer we have barely had here in Winnipeg..20 degrees celcius sounds quite appealing!

Budman Oct 24th, 2004 03:22 PM

20 degrees C = about 68 degrees F

I believe that's what Globetrotter is saying. ((b))

richardab Oct 24th, 2004 03:22 PM

don't be afraid to bring your jeans, no matter what anyone says. snealks are OK too.

do wear any sort sweatsuit, especially if its velour!

janis Oct 24th, 2004 03:22 PM

PLMN: That is 20 Celsius - quite warm for nov.

Globetrotter - don't count on it being that warm - you could have temps all over the board. Definitely take a light jacket and a warm cardigan or wrap for evenings.

Globetrotter260 Oct 24th, 2004 03:28 PM

Do the temps really drop in the evenings? I have travelled to a lot of places through out Europe but this is my first time travelling to Portugal and overseas this time of year. Need some serious help before I end up with three suitcases!

mari5 Oct 24th, 2004 04:26 PM

We too will be in Lisbon.. the first week in Nov. We lived in Lisbon for 2 years back in the 70's.
I believe the temps will be in the 50's and 60's (F)....according to one source on the internet I found. Can't find my diary from when we lived there, but it should be a lovely time in Portugal. Light sweaters, or you can layer knits under a cardigan...and a light all purpose coat, probably 3/4 length.(no liner). Pack an umbrella,and in doing that you probably won't need it. (:>)
The Algarve will probably be warmer...
Have a great time...We haven't been back in 30 years, and are really looking forward to it.It's a great place to visit...warm nice people, gorgeous , interesting !

Globetrotter260 Oct 24th, 2004 09:28 PM

Thank you so much to everyone! Mari, enjoy your time in Lisbon as will I! I too heard that Algarve is a bit warmer. Take care all and thanks again!

Scotia Oct 29th, 2004 02:18 AM

Just arrived home from Portugal last night. Average temperature was about 20 degrees Celcius during day in all areas we visited. Had heavy rains and high winds in Lisbon the first few days. Travelled to Obidos, Evora and Algarve area. Leave the sleeveless dress home as most restaurants and hotel dining rooms were "smart casual". Although people were swimming in Algarve, I found it too cool to wear shorts. Pleasant weather, though, for golfing and touring. While driving we wore jeans which were comfortable and popular everywhere. The posting from Mari5 about what to pack is quite accurate. I wish I had taken another sweater.

Monalisa Oct 29th, 2004 03:10 PM

Make sure you take really good walking shoes! I swear I walked more on this trip than any other. My feet were killing me-and I did have good shoes!

Globetrotter260 Oct 29th, 2004 04:39 PM

Walking shoes as in runner's won't suffice? Should I be bringing a pair oof hikers with me?