Search

What to in Prague with children?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to in Prague with children?

Dear Fodorites!
We are planning our trip to Cental Europe. I know, Prague is a beautiful city, but what to do with children aged 4 and 6? Just walking through the tourists could boring for them. Where I could find some events for children? Would be very much appreciated if somebody could advise somthing or share few links! Thanks a lot...

Petro
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM
ira

Hi F,

Let them run around and play for a few hours each day.

They aren't going to remember much anyway.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM

How about a river cruise?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM
GBC

The Black Light Theatre comes to mind. Your child aged 4 might be a little young but the older one may like it. There are two locations - you can check the program and the times.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Plus there are many marionette shows around.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

We are back from our wonderful Eastern Europe tour. Finally we spent in Prague 3 days. Thanks for advise about river cruise! There was a kind of children boat with a puppet theatre! These child friendly programs only works on the weekends and recommended from age 3-4. Families with little children do not miss it!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Be sure you post the information seperately so others can read it. You can never have too many options for small kids up your sleeve!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Hi there -

On the Mala Strana side as you face the castle on the left hand side there is Petrin Hill. This is a large park and there is a "house of mirrors" which could be fun for your kids. It is built in a medieval style with a drawbridge.

This is a lovely walk up through the gardens or you could take the funicular. There is also an observation tower (stairs only). I don't know admission prices - last time I was on the hill was in 1996. We did the house of mirrors with my Czech cousins (ages 7 and 10 at the time) and we had a hoot - adults and children.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM

I think it's very useful to post it as a followup to the question. People can read it here, there is no need to post the exact same thing on another post.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM

Just in case you hadn't seen my post I am reposting here for you:

It has been really hot these last few days so one of the instructors in our class suggested that we visit Zlute Lazne.

It was wonderful!! It is a huge park/beach/sports center/playground on the river very close to the center of Prague.

It is free after 6PM. I think it is about $3.00 admission during the day. They also had plenty of parking for cars.

There was a huge kids playground and a fairly large kids shallow swimming pool.

There is a beach area (really the river but people were swimming) with real beach sand and a grassy area where people were just laying out on towels. Also had quite a few cabanas with tables that fit 4-8 people and hammocks.

There are volleyball nets, a DJ & dance floor, an adult workout area (punching bag,chin up bar, rope to climb), a nude bathing area (gated so you couln't see inside). Also had picnic tables beer/drinks & food (typical beach food).

People were rollerblading and biking; kids had scooters.

Lots of families, lovers & singles.

They have a website but it is in Czech. There are pictures an a map of the grounds.

http://www.o2zlutelazne.cz/gfx/areal_go_zlute_lazne.pdf

I got there by tram #17 (then I took #3 on the return) - the stop is called Dvorce which drops you off at the front gate. There were lots of other trams passing by as well. I didn't get the numbers but if you look at the tram schedule it will give you the numbers. It's about 9 tram stops from Wenseslas Square and also 9 from the Charles Bridge.

Just found an English site - here's what it reads:

In June, 2005 the gates opened of the modernized area, tuned in the retro style of the thirties of the 20th century. The popular place at the bank of the Vltava river, where the citizens of Prague have come for almost a hundred years already for recreation, rest and sports, has the area of 3. 5 hectares. Available is a sand beach with hammocks, a children corner, padding pool with slides, nude beach, beer terraces with more than 2 500 places, restaurant and Internet café. The sports offer is represented, e.g., by five beach-volleyball courts, a football cage, twelve grounds for pétanque, table tennis, streetball, three-metres climbing wall, chess with giant figures, foot-netball, boats, pedal boats and lending office of sports equipment and motor boats. Situated in the area of Žluté láznì (the Yellow spa) is the lending office of popular dragon boats for twenty-member crews, paddling according to the rhythm. Beginning from 2006 anchored at the bank will be a more than 70 m long reservoir ship with built-in swimming pool, roofed beaches, cabins and sauna.

All the year round, daily 8:00–2:00

Tram:
metro to Karlovo námìstí then tram 3, 16, 17, 21, 52 (to Dvorce)

Bus:
metro to Budìjovická - then 118, 124 (koneèná zastávka Dvorce)