Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to expect in Paris/Loire/Normandie late October early Nov.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can people who have been at that time of year let me know if there is anything I should take into account? Festival or activities that are over crowded? Any Holidays that everything closes? Do any sites shut down at certain dates?
Best advice for what to pack? What to wear? Things I need to know?

I will be traveling with my hubby who has some mobility issues (we are in our 40's) and my 70 year old Mom.

We plan 10-12 days in Paris including Versailles and Giverny. Is this a good amount of time? Too much time for Paris? We think we want to see the Loire and Normandie first then go to Paris.....Thoughts on this idea?

We would like to see Strasburg (hubby just added this to the list today), Chenonceau, Chambord castles, Mont St. Michel (Stay on the Mont or across the water from it???) Honfleur, D-Day Beaches (Juno Beach), Rouen maybe....Etretat. Maybe? Thinking of going to Vimy Ridge to see the Canadian Monument to fallen soldiers.....We think we are also going to Disney for 2 days. (My hubby and I are big Disney fan) Please don't hold that against us....LOL

My MOM seriously want to stay in a castle one night.....Recommendations???? I really want to make this happen for her even if it's a little extravagant.

We have 21 to 25 days to spend in these areas including Paris......We will rent an apartment in Paris.

What order would you see these sights? We are thinking of renting a car for everything except Paris.....Would this be a good idea or are trains better for this kind of trip?

I am in the really early planning stages for the last 2 weeks in October and the first week in November 2015. Any help to set me off in the right direction is appreciated.

I feel like Paris I can handle but for everything else, I am a little lost. Help.....
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Darn it....Spelled Vimy wrong again.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Nope....Auto correct
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM

A few thoughts - could you fly into Paris and home from Strasbourg? Saves backtracking to Paris although it would have a change of planes somewhere.

You could visit Vimy Ridge as a (long) day trip from Paris - assume you're Canadian - it's well worth it. (as is Juno Beach)

We prefer having the independence of a rental car and the areas you're interested in are comfortable driving (in our experience)

We've traveled to those areas in October/November - be prepared for rain/grey days.

Planning is half the fun!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest that the first logical step might be to plot all these places on a map, I'd use a paper one but I'm sure there are electronic options. Rather having others tell you "what order" I think you'll have a much better idea of possible logistics if you familiarize yourself with just what is where, and proceed from there.

It sounds as if a car will be essential. You'll be all over the place if this plan continues and public transport would be a nightmare, especially with 1 of your party having "mobility issues".
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are covering a fair bit of land but with 3 weeks you should be ok. Most things will be open but as you are reaching into late autumn the daylight hours will be short and you have to watch out for wet cold weather.

I'd take the train to Rouen and hire a car there, it just cuts down on having to fight a car into Paris.

Lots of castles you can stay in though you may need to focus on "castle" "chateau" or say "monestery" all of which may have hard stone walls and central heating.

These two websites may interest you (and your deep pockets) http://www.chateauxhotels.co.uk/ and http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/ but you can also stay in loads of places including B&B chateaux so a little google offers you http://www.domaine-chateaufaucon.com...n-donchery.php

Rouen is not the best centre but you will find Bayeux a pretty good base and you can drive around looking at sites or go on a tour (which might make more sense of little back roads etc)

You can do the Giverney and Versailled visits from Paris by train with added taxi assistance as required.

Strasbourg is an easy train ride and the old centre is pretty small and easy to get around though cobbled which may be a pain with those of restricted movement. You could drive but why would you?

Disney.... what can I say, there are real castles in this country and you go to the fake one....
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Giverny closes for the season November 1, so you want to take that into account.

All Saints Day is Nov. 1 and Armistice Day the 11th. Both are national holidays. Openings and closings vary, best to check. Many things, but not all, will stay open. There will be special church services both days and virtually every village has a memorial service at its war memorial on Armistice Day.

Schools are out Oct. 19 to Nov. 4 but we generally don't see a big increase in crowds or traffic except in the summer months.

Plan for some chilly, rainy days but there should be sun as well. Age-old advice--layers!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 09:11 AM

Relais et châteaux chain are not generally family run.

If you want to stay in a family chateau, including fortified chateaux, try Bienvenue au chateau - www.bienvenueauchateau.com. These are more like B & B's.

Often the proprietors are a titled family that has occupied the property for centuries.

Our experiences over the years with the Marquis of this and the Comtesse of that have been uniformly delightful.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I had no idea about November 1st. I guess that would be a good day to visit outdoor places like Pere Lachaise or Walk around Montmartre.

Thank you for letting me know about Giverny. I will make sure to visit before November 1st. We will be headed home before the 11th so that one I will avoid.

I am trying to figure out if I should stay in a town as a base for the Loire and another for Normandie or do I just go from place to place getting a new place to stay each night.