Reload this Page >

What to eat in London, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Cher

First, forgive me for this stupid question. I'm a rookie at European travel. My only experience, Barcelona. I returned from that trip, malnourished and dehydrated. I know, I'm sorry, but where I come from, the shrimp don't have eyes, I can identify the spices, salads are plentiful, and meat is kept refrigerated. Everything I tried, (except Dannon yogurt) tasted different. I think part of the problem came from visiting the open market and seeing unidentifiable animals hanging over meat cases with no refrigeration. So, what can I expect in London and Paris? Can anyone relate to this or am I just picky. <BR>Concerned, Cher

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:38 AM
gourmet

In London certainly you can experience everything from three Michelin stars to American junk food with umpteen ethnic choices in between. <BR>As for meat from markets, all meats improve from "hanging". Have a look at the book "fast food nation" to see how things are done in the USA

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 02:05 AM
Ursula

In Paris too, you can expect everything from fast food places to top ranking restaurants. <BR>check out <BR>www.parisavenue.com <BR>and read some articles about Paris at <BR>bparis.com <BR>If you should return home malnourished, then it's simply your fault. I wonder how that could happen in Barcelona!? <BR>PS: In Paris, the shrimps usually have eyes too!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Miles

If you want fashionable food, try Nobu, The Ivy, Gordon Ramsay's Petrus. Look at the menus, if you like the food, eat there. Barcelona - how could you have gone wrong - the food at the Ritz is superb! Try the restaurants in the Dorchester, any hotels belonging to the Savoy group and any other decent hotel. It is easy for most people, obviously it is something which you happen to find difficult.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Yank

<BR>In London, don't order steak. Or cocktails. I've tried. Many times. It just isn't worth it. <BR> <BR>Try an (east) Indian restaurant, if you're adventurous - called a "curry house" in the UK. (It isn't all hot enough to peel paint.) <BR> <BR>If you're not adventurous, there's a TGI Fridays in Covent Garden, and Pizza joints are common here. <BR> <BR>If you want cold beer, ask for "lager". <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:18 PM
carol

Well,I find it hard to believe you starved in Barcelona. Has not McDonald's gotten there yet. <BR> <BR>May I suggest that if you had this much trouble in Spain that perhapsp you should stay home. If you exect things to be the same they are at home you WILL be upset! I doubt you will be any happier in Paris or London. The fish has eyes to prove its fresh, the beer is warm and the cokes don't have ice! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Liz

Cher, <BR>If you're looking for a quick lunch in London, try a Pret A Manger (French for ready to eat). They're as ubiquitous as McDonald's in the States but use only fresh ingredients and nothing is fried or overprocessed. It's mostly sandwiches and salads and baked goods. Look for the maroon and white signs on virtually every street in London.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Wendy

I ate a fabulous tandoori place in London awhile back,...so good I can't remember the exact name of it and had hoped to see here in this thread... does Puntabi ring a bell with anyone? A third generation restaurant, always full of locals, and a bright blue awning out front. Could be ANYHWERE in London right!? <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 02:21 PM
xxxx

If she won't eat spices she can't identify, probably cinnamon and clove, what makes anyone think she will eat curry, tandoori, etc. <BR>just bring a jar of velveeta and some wonder bread and you won't starve. for a gourmet treat try Mcdonalds, then maybe next trip you will grow up!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Alice

I have what you would call an "uneducated" palate, so haven't learned to appreciate 'gourmet' food or its sticker price... In Paris, we try French food at a brasserie that has a nice menu (salads, steaks, fish, sides of potato, green beans, etc) or at a small restaurant that has 'familiar' dishes like boeuf bourgogne, poulet roti (roasted chicken), cassoulet (bean casserole w/wine, sausage, duck) etc. At walk-up style places, we look for quiche, salads, sandwiches, crepes, pastries... Trust me, I've never gone hungry in Paris!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Pat

My family spent 2 weeks in the UK in June. My extremely picky 11 year old survived on pizza, we found small Italian restaurants everywhere. In London we also liked Garfunkel's, a chain with very basic food but good.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Cockney

Jellied eels!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Paul

want to have a real food experience in London? try Cantinetta Venegazzu, venetian restaurant in Battersea Square, simple but fantastic food, been back many times.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Finicky

Cher - I think I understand a bit of what you experienced, even though I have not been to Barcelona. I was in Africa, however, and the sight of meat hanging in the marketplace (covered in flies) made me pretty queasy. For the 10 days I was in Africa, I just couldn't choke down any meat and ate only fruits and vegetables. I couldn't eat dairy products, either, wondering if they had been pasteurized (as well as refrigerated). The odors of the individuals doing the cooking and serving of the meals didn't help either. I'm NOT saying that the USA is better - I'm only saying that where I saw in Africa it was different and it affected my stomach. Since Africa, I've been to Europe several times and never have had a problem. And not because I ate at McDonalds, either. I do travel because I want to experience something different from the USA, but I can understand how it can affect your appetite when standards of cleanliness, etc. are so much different that what one is used to.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:44 PM
tom

Unless you are fluent in French - don't eat anything in Paris. You might end up with brains, goose liver, sweetmeats, tripe, liver or kidneys. Horrors! And in London you will get fish with eyes, and curry and kidneys there too. <BR> <BR>I'm sorry Cher - but if you actually think "Everything I tried, (except Dannon yogurt) tasted different" is a problem, you shouldn't be travelling. EVERYTHING should taste different. You are in a DIFFERENT country for crying out loud. Did you see any sick Spaniards? They eat the food - and so does everyone else. <BR> <BR>You probably should stick to fast food and pizza (but you probably won't like the Pizzas in london - they taste different)

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Virginia

From my experience-in any big city a very reliable place to get nice food is in the restaurants of major museums. Definitely lunch, and most big museiums are open at least an evening a week. <BR> The food is always good quality, appealing to a wide range of people form different cultures, and fairly priced, and the setting is usually lovely. I always find soups, salads, maybe quiches, fresh sandwiches, simple pastas, etc. <BR> Another good source for not-too-scary food is department store dining rooms. <BR> Then--in London(just back)--I loved the Wagamama places, of which there are now several--Japanese noodle places. <BR> And it was easy to find plesant low-key Italian places, with a nice frech kind of pizza, pasta, etc.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:46 PM
epicurious

Cher, <BR>First, I would like to apologize for some of the responses posted on this thread from "fellow" Fodorites. You were seeking knowledge from this forum, nothing to feel sorry for. Now, to address yur question. I would suggest trying the following dishes in France: Salade Nicoise, Soupe Lo'Onion, Quiche, Croissants, Hot Chocolat, Cafe au Lait, Coq au Vin, Bouef Bourginon, Ham & Cheese snadwich (sorry, cant remember the French name - but they are sold everywhere), any flavor of fruit tart (has custard in it too, yum!, any vegetable, pate de fois gras - these are just my favorites. Bon appetit - you will do just fine.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:51 PM
just wondering

Cher - <BR> <BR>How, exactly, did you end up dehydrated? Did the bottled water taste too much like Dannon yogurt?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:56 PM
virginia

I think Epicurious is thinking of the French sandwich called "croque monsieur", which is grilled cheese (forget if in includes ham or tomato) and reliably available and delicious. <BR> Also in France bistros or brasseries usually have a small steak served with french fries and maybe a salad, which I find to be a reliably comforting thing to order--familiar but cooked maybe better than one is used to.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Amy

My husband is a very picky eater. He doesn't eat much meat. In Paris, there were many Italian places (great pasta) and also Swiss places that served cheese fondue--he was quite happy there. There were also some bistros that had veggie entrees. I was surprised by how many places we could go where he did enjoy the food. You should not have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -