Reload this Page >

what to do with children in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
byron

we are grandparents taking our grandchildren [12year old girl 9 year old boy] to Paris for their first time. Anyone have any ideas as to what to do, where to eat ect.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM
amy

Byron: I "topped" a couple of former postings that had some ideas. <BR><BR>Ben Haines has compiled a list somewhere on this site with some great ideas, and I know there's a restaurant posting. Later on this afternoon, I'll get back to the board and try to find them for you (or maybe lovely Ben Haines will see this and come to the rescue. He has wonderful ideas).<BR><BR>What I haven't seen on the board is my kids' favorite activity in Paris--navigating. It's truly a fun city to explore, and at breakfast each day, we would all have our Streetwise maps laid out on the table, agree on one or more destinations for the day, and the kids would have to decide which metro lines we would take to get there.<BR><BR>They truly loved reading the corrospondance signs in the actual stations, consulting "le plan" posted on the wall, etc. My youngest took a friend to Paris one year (they were about 9 or 10), and all the way over, she told the friend,"I can't wait to get started." They had those maps out and were gearing up.<BR><BR>Again, the key for us was using the "Streetwise" maps. They are small enough for the kids to handle and use easily, have a metro map on them, etc.<BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:47 AM
poster

Not sure when you are going but I think the carnival in the Tuilleries is there through August. We were there 3 weeks ago and what a great place to people watch! Too chicken to go on most of the rides but all the children were having a ball!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Larry

Your grandson would probably love the National Natural History Institute in the Jardin des Plantes (near Gare D'Austerlitz). And I'm sure they'd both enjoy a cruise on the Seine. And there's a fountain near the Pompidou Centre that they'll get a kick out of.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Jennifer

Hi Byron,<BR><BR>Believe it or not, but just a couple of months ago, I took my 12-year-old daughter and 9-year-old son to Paris!<BR><BR>A lot depends on the children. One kid loved the Catacombs; the other did not.<BR><BR>Since we ate many different cuisines, most unfamiliar, we spent most meals sharing everything. Even picky eaters learn that after walking for several hours, our definition of "good" changes!<BR><BR>Although predictable, the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe were HUGE hits.<BR><BR>But, quite honestly, the times I remember best weren't planned or weren't at ay extravagent location. Forever etched in my mind is the vision of my son completely innocently skipping down the Champs-&Eacute;lys&eacute;es, completely oblivious to everyone around him. Or the midnight ice cream sundae at a corner caf&eacute;.<BR><BR>Have you read any books about children and Paris? There are several of them, and actually Fodors has a small, compact, but very informational one that I would recommend. Show it to your grandchildren and let them decide what kind of activities look good to them! That really will be your best indicator.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Jennifer<BR><BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM
John

There is a great little book called "Around Paris With Kids, 68 Great Things To Do Together", published in fact by Fodor's. My 12 year old found it very interesting and she made a list of her favorites that we will try. Good luck!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:42 AM
peggi

We will be in Paris August 8&9 with our 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter. So we haven't gone yet but I can tell you what I have planned (my husband and I have been previously). We will arrive by train from Nancy. That first afternoon, we will head straight to the Ile de la Cite to peak in Sainte Chappelle and tour Notre Dame...depending on lines, we may climb the stairs in the tower so they can get a good look at the gargoyles. Then we will do a quick peek at the Deportation Memorial which is just behind Notre Dame (I just took my son to the Holocaust Museum in Washington). Then head straight to Berthillon for ice cream!! We hope to get a bite to eat and try to go up the Eiffel Tower later in the evening. Our one full day, we have arranged for a tour guide recommended on this site - Scott Emerson. I find my children are happier following someone else around a city than following me with my green Michelin...of course, you're the GRANDPARENTS so it may be different. I've told Scott I want to start with the Louvre...walk down the Champs Elysses and go to the Arc de Triomphe. Then head to Luxembourg Gardens. We hope to picnic along the Seine. I do find that preparing the children is useful...we've watched the Scarlet Pimpernel and Is Paris Burning? both old movies, one about the French Revolution and the other about WWII occupation of Paris (too violent for my 10 year old but I have wimpy children, I'm proud to say!). Have a great time! I hope to post a trip report upon our return.