Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to do with baggage until apt. check-in? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-do-with-baggage-until-apt-check-in-507463/)

Nancy45 Feb 26th, 2005 07:59 PM

What to do with baggage until apt. check-in?

We are arriving at Gatwick in the early am. Allowing for 2 hrs at the airport to collect baggage, go thru customs, and then 1 hour to arrive in the Victoria/Pamlico area by taxi, our apt will still not be available for at least 3 hours. What are our options for our 6 carry-on bags? Or what can we do constructively with this time until the apt is ready? Thanks so much!

Scarlett Feb 26th, 2005 08:06 PM

Is there someone that will be waiting for you, with keys or anything?
Usually the cleaners are there and they will let you leave bags and then you have to go somewhere until they leave.
We will do this is Paris.

mermaid_ Feb 26th, 2005 08:10 PM

Nancy, write to the people you're renting the apartment from and tell them when your flight arrives and how much luggage you'll have with you. I'm sure they'll be very accomodating. It happens all the time with travellers arriving early and they're probably used to the question. They'll have a solution for you.

janis Feb 26th, 2005 08:24 PM

Nancy - I answered your other thread about E&E Apartments.

I don't think it has ever taken me 3 hours to get from LGW to Victoria (your calculation of 2 hrs at the airport and 1 hr enroute)

You will probably have your luggage and be through immigration w/i 45 minutes of arriving, maybe an hour. And the Gatwick Express only takes a bit over 30 mins. You can buy your tickets on board so you don't even have to queue up to buy them

If you are landing very early a.m. you will be at Victoria Station long before E&E opens for business. So just leave your bags in Left Luggage at Victoria Station and go out for some early morning sightseeing in London. then go back to Victoria to retrieve your bags.

The E&E office is less than a 5 minute walk from Vic Station - so I would send one of you down there to retrieve the keys and get the flat's address. If the flat is too far to walk then go back to Victoria, retriev the luggage and take a cab from there.

if on the other hand, the flat is walking distance - just get the bags and walk ther after picking up the keys.

If your arrival is mid morning (after the office is open) just take your bags there. ther will be able to hold them for you until the flat is ready

(AND if the flat is already cleaned you might even be able to get in early)

Nancy45 Feb 27th, 2005 06:09 AM

Thank you for your quick responses and thanks again for your help Janis! I will email E & E and ask about storing our luggage in their office. There info stated that the apt wouldn't be ready until 2 pm and we arrive around 8:30 am. If we could store it there, it would save some $$$$

janis Feb 27th, 2005 06:20 AM

Great - Be sure to tell them you are just talking about six smaller carry-on type bags. The office is not very large and if they thought you meant 6 huge suitcases they might not go for it.

And w/ arriving at 8:30 - that is just about perfect. By the time you get to Victoria they should be open or just about ready to.

Kayb95 Feb 27th, 2005 07:14 AM

If you have to use the Left Luggage facility at Victoria, here's the website for more info: <b>www.excess-baggage.com/contact.php#Victoria</b>