Reload this Page >

What to do with a few days in Zurich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 04:56 AM
KJ

I'm going to Zurich soon and will spend a three days there. What sites/restaurants/events should I check out there? <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:53 AM
Bob Brown

I would rent a car for one day, at least, and drive to Luzern. From Luzern, it is a steep ride over the Brunig Pass to Interlaken. From there it is a short run to Grindelwald and or Lauterbrunnen. But you are talking a relatively short drive -- 2 to 3 hours. <BR> <BR>If you don't want to go to the mountains that far away, there are some neat cable car rides near Luzern, on a clear day. <BR>(Mt. Pilatus) Another nice trip is a boat trip on the lake at Luzern. <BR>Just to the north are the Falls of the Rhine river near a town called Schaffhausen (spelling is suspect). <BR>I think one full day of walking around Zurich is enough, unless you know someone and can pay a social call. <BR> <BR>On a rainy day we drove to a cheese factory that includes a narrated demonstration of how cheese is made, both commercially and the old fashioned way. The cheese place is near the village of Afolten. We learned about it in Bern at the tourist information office. We got there in time for a cow judging contest as well. You may not be into cows, but there were some beauties being judged. And the cheeses are of course world class. We had some for lunch. <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:09 AM
Ed

A host of things to do in and near Zuerich. The Rhinefalls near Schaffhausen, an excursion to Stein-am-Rhein, shopping on Bahnhofstrasse, the old town to explore, view the city from Uetliberg, take an excursion to Luzern. If you have good weather a boat trip on the lake is enjoyable ... go to Rapperswil; you can return by train or boat. <BR> <BR>No need for a car for any of this as the train service is excellent. Luzern is about an hour away, others will take from 30-60 minutes. <BR> <BR>More info at http://twenj.com/swisszrhoneday.htm

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 11:14 AM
Ken Horn

KJ- I'd rent a car or jump on a train to Lucerne, Lusanne, Interlaken, or Salzburg and skip (expensive and big city) Zurich if I were you. Have a good time

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:37 PM
badra

I'd skip out of Zurich, as it seems everyone is mentioning. It's not a great tourist center, and there are lots of great day trips around.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 02:09 AM
Eileen

Zurich is charming in its own way. There, you will have no trouble finding the Bahnhofstrasse. Just walk along this road where you will find plenty of department stores and luxury boutiques. <BR> <BR>Don't miss out Confiserie Sprungli which is located along Bahnhofstrasse and Paradeplatz. (across Credit Suisse) Have a taste of their specialties like Luxemburgerli (flavored macaroons), and their chocolate truffles. <BR> <BR>One day is enough to go around Zurich. Like the previous posts, I suggest that you go to Luzern (45 mins by train) to see some spectacular view. <BR> <BR>Geneva is also an option although it will take 3 hours to get there. <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 01:38 PM
Al

Back when I was working, business took me to Zurich several times. To get away from the creeps I had to do business with, I would walk to the foot of the Bahnhofstrasse where it meets the lake and board the boat to Rapperwil for lunch. After a very filling meal and a casual stroll around that small town, I would return to Zurich the same way -- by boat. Very relaxing. Nice scenery. No Swiss businessmen to bug you.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 02:46 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Kit <BR>Day trips either by rail or car, such <BR>as Luzern which is only 55 minutes by <BR>rail. The Rheinfalls is a good one also <BR>Taking the Boat to Rapperswill, it one <BR>we take each time we are in Zurich, however beleive the boats stop running <BR>the end of October, but at that time <BR>they usually have a wine program that <BR>takes place on the docked boats. <BR>By taking the train to Luzern, then to <BR>Alpnachstadt, up the incline railway <BR>to the top of Pilatus and return by <BR>cable car and gondola to Kreins and <BR>bus back to the Bahnhof is an easy <BR>four hour trip. (only if weather is <BR>clear) <BR>Here are a couple of ristorantes, tried <BR>and true in Zurich. <BR>BINDELLA, Im Gassen 6 $$$$ just north <BR>of the Paradeplatz, excellant Italian <BR>ristorante. <BR>BIERHALLE KROPF, Im Gassen, 16 excellant <BR>but old ristorante $$$ specialty is <BR>Swiss Food. <BR>CHURRASCO, Glockengasse, 9 $$$ about <BR>two blocks north of the Bahnhofstrasse. <BR>This is an Argentinan Steak House. <BR>CANTINETTA ANITINORI,$$$$ resvn must. on Augustinerstrasse, just off the Bahnhof, <BR>very good IT food. ristorante has others <BR>in Wien and Firenze. <BR>Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills, IL... <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 1999, 11:26 AM
Dave Hutchinson

I agree with Richard... The Cantinetti Antinoris is a wonderful restaurant. Also, the train is a simple option to Rapperswil. Only about a 30 minute picturesque ride. Rapperswill is a neat little walking town with friendly folk helping to make it even more enjoyable. If you go, check out the deer and the little cemetery near the church on the hill. -Dave-