Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do, what to do... early arrival, late departure

Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow travelers: Trying to decide if we would have enough time to do (and what to do) anything once we arrive in Athens. We are traveling in early September and our flight gets in at 10:20AM (from the US). The next available flight, after our arrival, to Corfu is at 3:30PM. Is there a place at the airport to check our bags if we wanted to leave and do something for probably 3 hrs? If yes, any suggestions? Thank you for any help or suggestions.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:59 AM

This is the airport website, it would say if there is anywhere to leave your stuff.

https://www.aia.gr/traveler/

If you're traveling on one ticket, why wouldn't you check your stuff all the way through to Corfu if that's your final destination?
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:02 AM

It seems that you have to fetch your bags after arrival and to check them in again for your Corfu flight.
In this case you may leave the airport around 11.20 and must be back at 14.00 at the latest.
The metro ride to Athens city center takes 40 min. That means that you would probably arrive at Syntagma or Monastirio around a quarter past 12 and would have to leave for the airport some 55 min later.
Frankly, I cannot imagine what one could do at Athens in 55 min!
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:33 AM

There are left luggage facilities to the airport but I think this is not a great time frame to head into down town Athens.

You could get a taxi to this http://www.atticapark.com/?lang=en
or this http://www.mcarthurglen.com/gr/mcarthurglen-athens/en/#
15 minutes away from the airport, or maybe get a taxi to one of the small sea side towns around the area such as Porto Rafti, Loutsa (Artemis) or Rafina, no more than 20-30 minutes taxi ride away.
of course it is important to make arrangements for your return journey just to be on the safe side.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:54 AM

Simple solution: if you are flying to Corfu on Aegean Airlines, just go to the check-in counter and ask if you can check in early. Aegean has flights leaving throughout the day, so their check-in counters will be open when you arrive in Athens. Drop off your bags and get your boarding passes, then all you have to do later is walk to the departure gate.

Now for what to do: you really don't have enough time to go into central Athens, but you could take a taxi or KTEL bus to Rafina, 20 minutes from Athens Airport. There are several nice tavernas overlooking the harbour where you could have lunch. Another attraction near Athens Airport is Attica Zoo. If you don't want to leave the airport you could walk across the street to Sofitel and have lunch there.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Heimdall: I think that your idea of checking in early at the Aegean check-in counter is great. If all goes well and the flight arrives on time, we may have time to get out and have a "welcome" lunch at a nearby seaside town or go to the Sofitel. Will do some research as to which towns would be easily accessible besides Rafina.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

In looking at the map, there are several seaside towns within a 10-15 miles radius. Has anyone heard or been to Vravrona? Google search says it is about 11 miles from airport...seems doable...if time permits, we can also stop at the Temple of Artemis (probably on way back... )Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thank you again.
HelenG1
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:59 PM

Hi,

I have a similar problem, I land in Athens at 1PM and am flying out to Santorini at 7 AM the next day. We are flying Ryan Air. Would it be possible to check in our luggage that early? Does the airport have a luggage storage? We would like to go to a nearby seaside town spend the day there and get back to the airport at night. Does it sound doable? Do you have any other suggestions?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:38 AM

Hi shushu,

I doubt you will be able to check in your luggage a day early, but you can go to the airline counter and ask. Pacific Travel has a luggage facility at the airport, and it's located just outside the Arrivals exit door: http://www.pacifictravel.gr/baggage.html

No problem going from the airport to a nearby seaside town, but with such a long layover why not go into Athens? The metro stop at the airport is only a few minutes walk from the terminal, and the line goes directly to Monastiraki and Syntagma where many of the attractions are located. The X95 bus leaves from directly in front of the terminal and goes to Syntagma Square.

The the last metro train back to the airport leaves Monastiraki and Syntagma before 11 pm, but the X95 bus from Syntagma runs 24 hrs/day.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 04:49 AM

Thanks Heimdall.
Are there any hotels you could suggest we spend the night? The Sofitel seems nice but pricey. Everything else seems a little too far to make a dash back in the morning for our flight.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 06:22 AM

Shushu, Sofitel is perfect for those early morning flights because it is only a few minutes walk from the hotel reception desk to the airline check-in counters. As all airport hotels, it is expensive, but very luxurious, with soft beds (most Greek hotel beds are hard) and huge bathrooms.

Since you have to be in the terminal by 6 am anyway, you could avoid paying for a room by staying late in Athens, a late night city, and going back to the airport by X95 bus. You aren't allowed to nap in the departure lounge, but you could sit in one of the cafes and have a coffee until it's time to check in.

For less expensive hotels in the airport vicinity, there are a couple in Rafina (Avra and Corali), about 30 minutes away. According to the KTEL Attikis website, which is in Greek, the first bus from Rafina to the airport leaves at 5:15 am. I've stayed at Avra, which is okay and about half the price of Sofitel. Another hotel near the airport is http://www.perishotelapt.gr/galleryen.html. I've never stayed there, but understand they provide transfers to the airport.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 06:43 AM

We followed Heimdall's great advice last year for similar situation.

We arrived @ Athens airport, walked across to Sofitel and checked in. We stayed there for the night for our 5 am flight to Santorini the next morning. We were able to check in early as members of their loyalty program.

We then took the KITEL bus to Rafina and had a lovely early dinner at a nice taberna and walked around a bit. We took the bus back [make sure you know where the stop is for the trip back as it is NOT where you get dropped off. We missed the bus back as we were in the wrong spot - the drop off] and by the time the bus appeared, we were on the wrong side of street and missed it by 3 minutes. We had to wait over an hour for another and by then we were jet lagged and cranky]

In the morning, the walk just across the street is so wonderful!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Thanks Heimdall. A hotel is a must, we would have traveled close to 20 hours before landing in Athens. So we will need our beauty sleep.
We initially planned on taking the Ferry so have a hotel booking in Piraeus port. Now that we are flying I am apprehensive about dashing to and fro from the airport to Piraeus port.

Looking at your suggestion of taking the X95 back to the airport early morning. We'll need to catch it at least by 5 AM.
Sofitel sounds like a stress free option. Just a little ouch on the pocket. You think we should just go with Sofitel and stay stress free?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:21 AM

Not an easy decision! I am a budget traveller, but don't mind splashing out a bit now and then for convenience. You can ease the pain on your pocketbook by walking across to the terminal to use the free wifi, and having a less expensive meal than in the hotel restaurant. Sofitel has a swimming pool, but I've never used it myself.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:23 AM

Shushu, here'sA PS to the good information from Heimdall.
THe PERIS hotel (about €85 double w early check-out)provides free shuttle FROM the airport up until 11 PM (2300), and a continental breakfast (starting 8 am) and free shuttle BACK to AIrport starting at 7 AM. You could take advantage of HALF this offer (since u must be back at airport by 6 AM -- you'd have to take 5:30 taxi @ cost of €15 or so).

HOWEVER -- On balance, I think it FAR easier, no more costly, to book a hotel under 80E just a block or 2 from Syntagma square (I did a "dummy booking" for May 3 and found 4 in that category -- Myrto, Cecil, Nefile, Acropolis House; But do not Delay!). Why do I advise this?
•You save hassle/expense of checking bags@ airport & picking them up.
• Staying near Syntagma, just as easy/fast to take X95 bus as AM taxi from Peris.
•You wouldn't have to worry about being at airport by 2300 to access Peris shuttle

SCENARIO:
• Land 1pm, Metro or x95bus by 2(1400), hotel by 3 (pay on arrival, to save time in AM)
• Afternoon; sightseeing (cannot advise extent of this... because u don't provide key info such as -- will u have Athens time at end of trip? is your 1pm arrival from a Europe stay, or at end of a 25-hr exhausting journey from India? For best advice, more info always helps!)
• Relaxed dinner, early bedtime
• Wake-up call 4:15-4:30, on X95bus by 5AM, at airport 5:45. NOTE: check x95 schedule ahead (sign by Syntagma stop) to know which bus to catch; they leave exactly on time.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:28 AM

Whoops! While I was crafting this careful scenario to your previous query, you and Heimdall worked everything out. Of course, my alternative to Sofitel DOES save over €100 -- enough for several good dinners at island tavernas! Personally, I've done the early-AM bus thing many a time without stress... I just pay in advance, have my clothes laid out like a fireman, jump up at wake-up call, and zip! out the door to bus. By time I wake fully, I'm in line at airport!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Thank you for the options travelerjan.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Travelerjan's scenario would work as well. Just leave yourself enough time for breakfast somewhere, as the most you are likely to get on the short flight to Santorini is a bag of peanuts or something similar. There is a good cafeteria-style restaurant in the terminal, and several coffee shops scattered around. Once at the departure gate there will only be a little kiosk selling drinks & snacks.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys, Husband decided Sofitel it is. Less stressful. Like DebitNM mentioned might take the bus to Rafina for an early dinner. Any recommended budget restaurants and must dos in Rafina?

Where is a good place to shop for souvenirs/trinkets for family, am holidaying in Santorini, Naxos and Athens.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 10:53 AM

This is where we ate -
https://www.google.com/maps/place/%C...1a98f8!6m1!1e1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -