Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do on a rainy day in Switzerland?

Old May 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much of what we are planning to do on our trip involves being outdoors and seeing nature. We are spending 3 nights in Locarno, 2 nights in Lucerne, and 4 nights in Wengen. What do we do if the weather doesn't cooperate and there is a lot of clouds and rain? Are there good indoor activites in the Ticino area? Do we just shop? Should we take the train to Milan? And in the Bernese Oberland, what does one do on those rainy washout days?

I ask this as I look at the very early weather forecast for next week and see much rain in that forecast. Obviously, it is very early, it is not always accurate, and it doesn't mean that it won't just be a passing shower. But I don't know if hiking in the rain is my ideal vacation.

Anyone have any thoughts for this worrywart?
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Had a look at the weather forecast for Switzerland myself and it looks like from Sat 26 May on they'll get rain, rain, rain. Urgghh.

For Ticino: In Locarno there's a nice castle with a history/archeological exhibit. Walk around the old town - it's charming in rain, too, with the many churches (San Vittore in Muralto near the train station not to miss). Go up to the monastery Madonna del Sasso - well worth the look.

Bellinzona is a must see, too. Three castles with museums! Or go to Lugano - art galleries, exhibits, churches, etc. I probably wouldn't go all the way to Milan if I had only 3 nights in Locarno. You could still do some shopping, dining, wine tasting.

Lucerne has a lot to offer. Museums, churches, Transportation museum definitely! I once made a boat trip on the lake in the rain with one of the paddle steamers and loved it.

In the Bernese Oberland see the Trümmelbach water falls - it's wet anyway. Got to the Ballenberg museum (old houses from all over Switzerland etc.), shop and sightsee in Bern.

And I am sure it won't rain all the 9 days you'll be in Switzerland!
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I don't know your particular areas in Switzerland, but the general comment of having an alternate itinerary with things like castles, museums, churches is good. Maybe you can check an events calendar see if there are any live performances, music, special local events going on?
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Planning alternative activities is clearly a good idea. We also found that since Switzerland is not very large, on a rainy day we could check the weather on the internet and hop a train to subshine. We found sites and scenery ranging from interesting to spectacular, and we could return the same day.
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM

I agree on the waterfalls on the floor of the valley.

I have visited there several times, and yes, the rain can be a downer.

One day we went to Bern and saw a few sights. One day we went to Afoltern, the one near Bern, where we visited a cheese shop where cheese was also made.

While we were there we got lucky and say a cow judging contest.

On a cloudy day we enjoyed the Museum of Swiss Life near Brienz. It is outside, so if raining, it would be a not soo good alternative.

One day in a downpour we went to Luzern and visited the transportation museum, which is a very good museum.

If the day is not totally socked in, drive to Meiringen and look at the other falls streaming off the side of the valley. Meiringen also has a very small, but very good Sherlock Holmes Museum. If you are wondering why, supposedly Holmes met his end in the Reichenbach Falls near Meiringen.

Then Doyle was semi forced to bring Holmes back by popular demand.

Other than that, I have tried to learn German by watching the shopping channel on the TV!!

Old May 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Keep in mind, if the weather shows rain likely, it doesn't mean that it will rain 100% of the day. It rained off and on a couple of days while I was in Locarno. It didn't get in my way. Take a boat trip on the lake, maybe to Stresa for lunch and shopping and back. Take the Centovalli train to one of the stops with a gondola up the mountain. Have lunch on top then take the train back (or rent bikes and ride back). I visited Bellinzona on a rainy day. Pop into a cafe for coffee when it rains harder. The castles are beautiful with low clowds hanging over them. Don't worry. You'll get plenty of dry time.

Ingo, are you headed back to Switzerland soon?
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Switzerland has a plethora of mseums, churches and castles to explore, Just have a list hand for the areas you'll be in. (To tell you the truth we spent a lot of our time this way one trip - since we ran into quite a lot of rain.)