What to do in Venice on Day One

Apr 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

What to do in Venice on Day One

Arriving in Venice at 9:00 AM on Saturday May 7 from the States. Any suggestions on what to do and see on our first day considering that jet lag will probably set in by late afternoon? We're staying close to the San Marcuola waterbus stop. We have reservations for Doge Palace on Sunday. We leave Monday early afternoon for Florence.
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Ride the full length of the Grand Canal and take in the wonder that is Venezia.
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM

I agree with bob and think everyone should ride the full length of the canal their first day in Venice. It gives you a good sense of the city. However, if you feel jetlag my advice would be to spend the first few hours simply walking around and discovering the city on foot. No specific destination as there are wonderful sights at every turn. Then ride the full length of the Canal before dinner.
Apr 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. BTW Bob - saw your beautiful pix of Amalfi coast - I'll be ending my 2 week trip in Praitano.
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Terrific !
Here is Venezia---have fun !

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4440
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

oops Praiano. Thanks for sharing Bob. Great photos! Cannot wait! Do you have a favorite place? I'm curious to see what I favor as I've gotten so many different opinions on each of the areas that we are visiting.
Apr 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Hello everyone. Great suggestions! We are headed to Venice in mid-September and plan to stay in Venice for 4 nights, then go to Tuscany and Rome. This is our first time in Italy. We will be on our honeymoon and have approximately 12 days. I have been hearing that one needs to drive to Tuscany, is this the best way to visit there? We would also like ideas for mid-priced hotels to stay in. Will we have enough time to visit 3 different cities/areas?