What to do in Salzburg, Austria?

Old Mar 12th, 1997, 07:44 PM
Lynn

What to do in Salzburg, Austria?

I'm planning a trip to Salzburg at the end of May and can't find any info on things to see and do. Please help.

Old Mar 13th, 1997, 07:08 AM
Lee

I was in Salzburg only once and found it to be pleasant. I visited Mozart's birthplace, the town square and shopping district and took the "Sound of Music" tour. Later, we had dinner up in the fortress which is accessable by a tram and has a beautiful view of the countryside. I'm getting married in July and we will honeymoon in Germany. We'll rent a car in Frankfurt and drive down to Munich, Bertchesgaden and into Salzberg as I'd like for her to see these places.
Good luck and enjoy!

Old Mar 13th, 1997, 07:27 PM
Durant Imboden

It's hard to go wrong in Salzburg, with or without a sightseeing plan. From the railway station, head toward the Salzach River and cross into the old town (i.e., the district on the hill against the cliff with the fortress on top). Then spend the better part of a day just walking around. Visit the cathedral and some of the other churches, climb the hill to the fortress, and just soak up the atmosphere.

There are plenty of things to do in and around the city, so buy a good sightseeing guide and a map when you're in Salzburg (or, better yet, before you leave home). But again, you can't go wrong by traipsing around the old town, where you'll be surrounded by Salzburg's artworks and architecture.

- Durant Imboden

P.S.: If you find yourself near the cliff below the fortress, look for the entrances to the underground parking garage. The garage was blasted out of solid rock. If only more cities had such a handy way to keep parked cars out of sight.

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 08:16 PM
Jeff Gendel

A must do in Salzburg is the Augustiner-brau, a beer hall dating back centuries that is run by monks. The hall is a short bus ride from town (maybe 5 minutes). You enter the hall and descend down a long flight of stairs. At the bottom, you will find food kiosks that sell pretzels, wursts, etc. Then, you proceed to another hallway where you take a mug off of the wall, and fill it to the top. After paying the cashier, venture into one of the many beer halls in the facility. It is a real authentic experience in Austria, and certainly some of the best beer I have ever had! Don't miss it!

Old Mar 20th, 1997, 03:43 PM
larry weber

Eat at the Wildemon Restaurant in old town [local and cheap and fun] and get a drink at the Piccolo bar just across the bridge from old town.

Old Mar 27th, 1997, 02:22 PM
Mary

You may want to contact the Austrian embassy in DC at (202) 895-6700. They can mail you all sorts of travel info. on Austria and Salzburg in particular. My parents also went years ago and took the Sound of Music toor and the castle that is there and loved it. Have a nice trip!

Old Mar 27th, 1997, 02:22 PM
Mary

You may want to contact the Austrian embassy in DC at (202) 895-6700. They can mail you all sorts of travel info. on Austria and Salzburg in particular. My parents also went years ago and took the Sound of Music toor and the castle that is there and loved it. Have a nice trip!

Old Apr 1st, 1997, 07:47 PM
Russ

Salzburg is o.k. but there is so much more to see in the area near Salzburg. Salzburg is just a big tourist trap waiting for you. Everywhere you turn, there is another American tourist singing "The Hills are alive" or "Edelweiss." They are living in fantasy. Nonetheless, Salzburg is worth 2 days of sightseeing.

The full tour of the Festung Hohensalzburg is well worth the time. Also the Mozart Birthhouse is a good museum--although a little touristy--avoid the $30 CDs in the gift shop--they're the same at home. The Abbey-Church of St. Peter is one of the few Sound of Music sites worth seeing. It is beutiful. Adjacent to the Abbey is a restaurant run by the monks that has a fantastic white wine made by the monks. Also adjacent to the abbey is the graveyard filmed in Sound of Music. Other than these sites, AVOID the Sound of Music junk as much as possible. Why waste your travel time on an American-made fantasy? Especially when so much of Austria awaits.

A must see is Hallstatt--my favorite European village and worth the 1 hour drive. The drive is beutiful with lovely Alpine lakes and snow capped mountains all around. Hallstatt was the center of Europe during the early bronze age, a period known as the Hallstatt era. But history aside, the view in this city is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. It was very difficult leaving Hallstatt.

Good luck.

Old Apr 15th, 1997, 03:53 PM
Glenn

In Salzburg there is plenty to do. Yes there are lots of tourist type places, but they are enjoyable and not too bad. The fortress is a sure stop, which
gives you a great view of the city and an idea of the layout. I second the Augistner Brauhause, it is a great place to relax. You can buy food there or
"brown Bag" your own meal in. In the city you can
stroll the marketplace and see some of the churches
in town. Out of town, you can visit Hellbrunn, a palace south of town. You can also take a trip to HAllein, and take a tour of a salt mine. The tours are in German, but they do have signs and recordings in English. It was great fun getting dressed up and
going on the train ride in and the slides. (combine the palace and salt mine in one trip. You can take a hike on one of the local mountains with incredible views. Make use of the local tourist info, a great resource. They also have a decent web site,
Enjoy !!!
have a decent web site.

Old Apr 16th, 1997, 07:44 PM
Ted

I'll also be visiting Salzburg at this time and enjoy hiking. There is a town called Hallstatt in the mountains east of Salzburg. Has anyone been to this area? I would appreciate any help suggestions of hikes and lodging. Thanks