Search

What to do in Rome, day of arrival, and on Monday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Rome, day of arrival, and on Monday

Hi:
We are planning a trip in October to Rome, Florence and Venice. We arrive in Rome on the 2nd, in the morning from the United States.
We are wondering what to do that first day (Tuesday) that will work well with our possible jet lag. We'll be in Rome seven nights. We are staying at the Rome Hilton and have had heard their restaurant is superb. Should we do dinner there that first night, or another night? What time would be good for dinner, allowing check-in, some sightseeing (go ahead and suggest what), and changing back at the hotel for the dinner?
Also, as most things are closed on mondays, does anyone have any ideas on what to do on Mondays in Rome?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Hi,

When I went to Rome last year, I went to Villa Borghese the same day of my arrival (Sunday). I was staying at a convent near Piazza Spagna. I went to Via Veneto and visited the Catacombs of Santa Maria della Concezione, and, then, I went to the park to wander and sit down for a while. Afterwards, I went to Piazza del Popolo and walked to Piazza Spagna down Via del Babuino, where there are a few shops. I lingered for a while on Piazza Spagna and had a tiramisù at a nearby coffee shop. It was a great and relaxed way to start my trip.

On Monday, I did self-guided walk through the historic center of Rome (5 hours) and it was another perfect day. Everything was open, and the market on Campo dei Fiori was the highlight of that day.

Have a nice trip!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM

We just got back from a week in Rome. We arrived on a Tuesday morning. We got to our apartment by 10 am and by 12 noon we went out walking around and exploring. We visited Campo dei Fiori, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain. We made two or three gelato stops and rested in a couple of churches that were open along our route. We got lost, found our way, got lost, found our way, and got lost again. It was GREAT!

We went back to the apartment around 5, rested and refreshed a bit, and had dinner around 8:00 at a restaurant a fairly short walk from the apartment.

Have a great trip! Rome is amazing.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread - but I have a question for Castellanese regarding your self-guided tour. Was this done just by wandering around or did you have some goals when you set out? Did you use a map or any sort of guide?

Thanks!
Bob
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Just returned from a great week in Rome. Most museums are closed on Mondays, so plan accordingly and maybe See museums on Sunday and churches/ parks/historic sites, etc., on Monday.
October is a great time to visit Italy, especially the first half of the month. It gets a little cooler the further north you go later in the month, so again plan light layered clothing if going late in October.
Some, who arrive in the morning take a siesta to get over the jet lag and plan evening activities and late dinner, while others will keep on trucking and forget the siesta and crash earlier in the evening. If arriving in the aftenoon, most will take a short rest and refreshment break after arriving at the hotel and then hit the streets. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm and were out by 4:30. Once you hit the streets after freshing up, jet lag seems to disappear. If it were me, I would plan a walking or sight seeing tour for the early evening on the day of arrival. Since you probably have not had a decent meal since the day before, whenever you start to get hungary, start looking for an open restaurant in the area where you are sightseeing. You can find decent restaurants that start serving as early as 7:30 without the need for reservations. I would save the hotel dinner for another night when you might be more rested and can really enjoy a more expensive meal. Don't forget to make reservations at the more expensive restaurants.
Sounds like a great visit in the works, remember, part of the fun is in the planning and anticitpation of the trip, part will be in going on and participation in the trip and a part will be in the joy of having gone and memories which will last a lifetime (or at least until your next visit).

PS: gelato is great even in October...
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Hi Bobby_C,

I did the self-guided walk featured in the Italy bookguide by National Geographic. It starts on Piazza Colonna and ends on Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. It lasts 5 hours and it takes you to hidden alleys, squares and churches as well as to the most famous landmarks in the historic center.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:10 AM

We also arrived on a Sunday and found it was easy to find plenty to do even with many museums closed.

I am one of those who recommends keeping moving the day of arrival to try to adjust to the time change rather than taking a siesta.
Sunday afternoon is a good time to visit the various piazzas in Rome--there seem to be lots of street performers out then. so, some combination of those with nearby churches as suggested in other responses makes sense. The Pincio gardens overlooking the Piazza del Popolo are also a favorite Sunday afternoon outing. We were staying at an apartment near Piazza Mattei so after getting settled we just walked out the door and stared exploring the centro storico.

On Monday we did a self-guided tour of the Piazza del Campidogilio to the Forum and Colosseum and the Arch of Titus but saved the Palatine and Farnese gardens for the next morning when our combined ticket for it and the Colosseum was still valid. We later realized we could have saved time standing in line for tickets to the Colosseum by "doing" the Palatine first.
We also walked around Trastevere for a while late Monday afternoon before dinner. You could combine a walk in that neighborhood with a walk in the old Jewish ghetto section (they are connected by pedestrian bridges over the Isola Tiberina)either Sunday or Monday. Definitely do this sometime during your stay in Rome.

To Bob re self-guided tours: we used the DK Eyewitness guide to Rome. It is full of different walking tours and descriptions of different neighborhoods with lots of pictures and maps. There is no single walking tour of the centro storico, but plenty of options to combine for hours of pleasant walking.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Wow. What great advice! We hope to do the big market on Sunday. Any more ideas on what to do on Mondays?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM

On Monday, we went to the Baths of Caracalla for a couple of hours in the morning. It closed at 1pm on that Monday btw. I loved it there. After that we walked through the Forum one more time and spent an hour or so there. I am so glad we went back as there were way fewer people than the first day we went. We were with a guide (Context Rome) the first time, so we got a great overview that really added to the experience when we went back. Taking a walk though the Borghese Gardens is always an option too.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 04:16 AM

What are you interested in? There are many ancient Roman sights open on Monday and most churches are (although many close mid-day so you need to check the hours)
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Vttraveler: We'll be in Rome a total of a week. We plan on seeing all kinds of things. At this point, I wanted to knock off ideas just for the night of arrival, one night in the hotel restaurant, and maybe then figure out which days we'll do the Vatican, as we hope to get reservations for that.
Thanks to all for your great help! I really appreciate all of your replies.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM

I've stayed at the Hilton 3 times now and will return. Their rooftop restaurant is amazing and expensive.
Very expensive.
I'd check in and plan to take their shuttle in and take a short walk over to the termini.
There catch an off-on bus and with a good tour bus get a feel of what you'll be experiencing.
You might get off at Piaza Navona and start walking. Get a good map.
I probably would not eat at Pergola that night because you may be a bit too tired to truly experience it as it deserves.
You might plan on eating near the hotel and using their spa. That's what we usually do our first night there.
My wife loves take a Pilates class and I enjoy a more relaxing time in the steam room/pool.
There's tons of information here on Rome. Do a search and start reading.
Also go to Slow Talk and see their reviews and trip reports. Their forum is also great.
My first recommendation is to try and book a Scavi tour of the Vatican.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM

RNSuzanne--I didn't mean to imply you weren't planning for the rest of your stay. I was trying to respond to the question about what to do on Monday since "most things are closed." almost all churches are open (altho watch out for midday closings) as are the basic ancient Roman sites. I would just decide what you want to do other than museums and then double check to be sure nothing is closed.
Actually even some museums are open. My guide book says the Villa Farnesia is open Monday to saturday 9 to 1. This was one I couldn't fit in during our trip but have put on my definitely see next time list. It is right near the Botannical gardens and Trastevere.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, V. I am loving this message board! I really appreciate the way I can ask a very specific question, and receive advice from people such as yourself, who have been there and really know what they're talking about! To everyone who's posted here, thanks. You guys/gals are great!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM

Check out the Fodor's Online Rome Travel Guide section, there are several self-tours & walking guides in the Eternal City.
My daughter (a UVA student going to Siena for a summer Study Abroad program) & I leave for Italy in 2 weeks; we'll visit Rome, Florence & Siena. Our apartment is in the Campo di Fiori area, so I printed out the "Touring Old Rome" guide so we can wander around the Campo, Navona & Pantheon areas all afternoon & evening on our first day...and maybe get lost a few times too!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM

Hi! Depending on how well you deal with jet lag, I would say throw down your stuff when you get to your hotel and begin exploring. But, you might want to do things that require less mental power! I can't focus too well in museums when I'm tired.

There are oodles of easy to see (and free) outside attractions in Rome. All of the piazzas (think Navona, Spagna, del Popolo, Venezia, etc.) are open with beautiful sites. You can take a hike up the spanish steps, throw a coin in the Trevi fountain, and observe the beautiful fountains in Piazza Navona. The Roman Forum is also open but you may want to reserve that for a day when you really have energy. To learn about all that is there is fascinating. But, ultimately, these are all sites that you would want to see and that are nice and easy to take in when you are jet lagged and want a little more relaxing day. In these locations, there are lots of fun little shops and cafes to poke into too.

As for food, good food surrounds you in Italy. The tiny restaurants lining the streets are filled with delicious pastas, pizzas, and wine. You likely won't go wrong anywhere you eat. Eating and drinking are amongst some of the easiest things to do in Italia!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM

On all three of my visits to Rome we always head over to the Forum area. I think its the perfect way to combat jetlag because you are outside (and hopefully the weather will be nice!) and seeing the Coliseum and Forum will give you a "pinch me, I'm really in Rome!" moment.

Another fun thing to do is simply stroll the city, maybe get your barings a little bit. Its wonderfully walkable, and you will find yourself in beautiful piazzas. Sit down, have a glass of wine or a cappuccino, and let it all sink in.

Tracy
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

We went, and now we're back. Had a great time. I wanted to share with everyone what I now feel is the absolute best way to start a tour in any city where such is available: with an open-bus (double-decker) hop on, hop off tour. You get great photos, a great overall view of the city, and figure out more what you want to do with the rest of your time. Even if you were only in a city a few hours, I think this is the best way to spend it.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM

bookmarking
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I believe I just said that on another thread-the best way to see Rome and get a sense of its glories bar none, is through their excellent hop/on/off double-decker buses.