Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What to do in Paris when its cold and rainy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-to-do-in-paris-when-its-cold-and-rainy-867456/)

chadvinsontucker Nov 22nd, 2010 06:28 AM

What to do in Paris when its cold and rainy?

Does anyone have any suggestions for experiencing a wet and cold Paris? This next week is supposed to be in the 30's and 40's with rain and sunshine and maybe snow. We're from Portland, OR which is currently having the exact same weather so we'll dress appropriately, but we're a little bummed at the thought of not having great walking weather. Any thoughts?

Bellarosa Nov 22nd, 2010 06:34 AM

Museums! You can get lost in the Orsay or the Louvre for an entire day, eating lunch inside the museum. There are countless other museums, depending on your interests, or you can try to group as many of the other destinations together that are in close proximity to each other. I have often left my husband in Les Invalides for the day, and gone shopping.

cmeyer54 Nov 22nd, 2010 06:42 AM

Galleries Layfayette will be lovely - all decorated for the holidays. Versailles will be fine as will all the cathedrals and museums. Strolling may not be optimal but hey,you'll be in PARIS!! enjoy!

Michel_Paris Nov 22nd, 2010 06:44 AM

If you have an umbrella, I see no reason to not do some street walking, with frequent stops at a cafe for a little warm-up. I like Paris in the off-season, grey and drizzly, because of the contrast from the usual 'travel brochure' views.

Some of the smaller museums would be good (Cluny, Marmottan, Jacquemart,Carnavalet) , perhaps Grands Magasins (Lafayette), catacombs, and maybe even the Louvre des Antiquaires to browse the upscale antique shops.

In the same area as some of the above, maybe do walks of the covered Passageways.

mamcalice Nov 22nd, 2010 07:01 AM

Many of the cafes in Paris have outdoor space covered and with heaters so you'll be able to sit outside and enjoy the passing scene with a glass of wine or a cafe creme.

Try the Musee Rodin and the Invalides for indoor activity.

StCirq Nov 22nd, 2010 07:22 AM

Afternoon tea at the Café de la Paix.

Nikki Nov 22nd, 2010 07:23 AM

Concerts, opera, ballet, jazz clubs, movies, cafes, restaurants, bars with live music. Theater, if you understand French.

Check www.whatsonwhen.com for listings before you go. And when you get to Paris, buy Pariscope at a newsstand for the listings for the week.

Michael Nov 22nd, 2010 07:38 AM

the <i>passages</i>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623310709181/

Michel_Paris Nov 22nd, 2010 08:30 AM

Thanks Michael.

I could see a nice little day in the Louvre area. Morning, Louvre. Lunch at Angelina's. Afternoon, Louvre des Antiquaires, followed by Passages. Then dinner at...

kerouac Nov 22nd, 2010 08:42 AM

On the weekend you can stay in the hotel and watch rugby games taking place in the cold and rain. ;)

Michel_Paris Nov 22nd, 2010 09:36 AM

Stade de France?

yestravel Nov 22nd, 2010 09:41 AM

Familiarize with taking the bus and grab a seat on one of the lines that goes all over -- great way to view Paris.

michelleNYC Nov 22nd, 2010 10:07 AM

Tuck into a cafe in the late afternoon with a nice bottle of wine and decompress.

cw Nov 22nd, 2010 10:16 AM

My past two trips to Paris have had their share of cloudy, rainy days (June and December), but seldom was it raining hard so it really didn't deter us from walking. Not to say that will be your experience but you may have gloomy days, but what better place to be than Paris.

If you have sporadic showers, just duck into a cafe, shop, or museum, but I bet you'll have plenty of opportunities to stroll. As long as you are dressed for the weather, I don't think it will be a problem.

Paris is lovely, even in the rain.

bumper Nov 23rd, 2010 04:33 AM

If you are interested in military history, then I would suggest Musee Jean Moulin (leader of the French Resistance during WWII)/Marcel Leclerc and Musee des Invalides.

Gretchen Nov 23rd, 2010 04:55 AM

Museums, as everyone says. The covered galleries/arcades--senior moment and can't call the name. Surprisingly, the dimmer light is sometimes very nice for Sainte Chapelle. As others have said, under an awning at a cafe. They have heaters.

bachslunch Nov 28th, 2010 02:44 PM

One could easily spend a week visiting museums and churches and similar attractions in Paris, not to mention shopping and cafe lingering and restaurant munching.

In fact, one wonders if there are any cities with significantly more things a tourist can do inside (or do, period) than Paris has.

Elainee Nov 28th, 2010 02:47 PM

We were in Paris during a record-breaking cold day. We rode the on-off bus three rounds...very interesting, noticed something new to us often. Next day was very pleasant and not very cold.