Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do in Maranello besides Ferrari?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying 4 nights in Bologna and will day trip to Maranello for the Ferrari museum and Push Start drive attraction. I have little to zero interest in the museum, and even less interest in waiting for my husband drive around a track for 90 minutes. My question is, is there a small town in Maranello for me to visit while he is doing this or should I spend my time in Modena? I would like to be there when he comes off the track after his Push Start driving experience. So I'll need to coordinate my transit time from either (Maranello) town or Modena to be there at the conclusion of his drive.

When I search around for info on Maranello I either get directed to Ferrari or redirected to Modena, so I'm not quite sure if Maranello is anything more than an outpost for Ferrari?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Maranello is very small and not so intresting, don't forget a book to kill your time... Modena-Maranello takes about 25 minutes, 25 to return, 15 to park... Nonsense.

If you have a car 3 options:
1) Sassuolo (at 10 minutes), small historical centre, very nice, shops ecc...
http://www.visitsassuolo.it/sassuolo/?lang=en

2) Fiorano, santuario della Beata Vergine del Castello (at 10 minutes) panoramic view point, church.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santuar...e_del_Castello

3) Castello di Spezzano (at 10 minutes), for opening time ask at the tourist office at Ferrari museum.
http://www.comune.fiorano-modenese.m...aeeaec24c1ba9c

If you don't have a car... take a good book! ;-)
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ecovanavoce. I should have included that I won't have a car.

Castello di Spezzano looks like a nice visit. The web page doesn't have an English option (my only language) but it looks like a castle with frescoes & sort of an outdoor park and contemporary art installations on the grounds? I supposed I must have a car to get there?

Is it feasible to take a taxi there? If yes, would I accompany my husband to the Ferrari museum then taxi to to Castello di Spezzano then taxi back to Ferrari? It looks like a perfect place for me to catch some solitude during his Ferrari visit - hours permitting, of course.

Thank you! I NEVER would have found this on my own.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 12:05 AM

The Castello di Spezzano, as far as I know, is only open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and not in winter. Here is the English language option from its website:

http://www.comune.fiorano-modenese.m...7a3bc0a60a936e

If you are going during the hours the castle would be open, or if you want to see something else a 10 minute drive away, then if you and your husband are taking a taxi to Maranello, the driver could drop him off at the Ferrari locations and take you on to the next stop. Get the driver's telephone number. When you want to rejoin your husband, if you don't want to walk (it would only be about 30 minutes), have someone call the taxi driver, or another local taxi driver.

I am not sure why you want to meet up with your husband the moment he comes off the track (not criticizing it, just don't know why you want to arrange things that way), but I will say that Modena is a beautiful small city with a glorious architecture and art and a covered food market and a lovely place to spend the morning (or afternoon).
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:32 AM

Of course you can take a taxy! About Castello di Spezzano, the italian web site say "opening on request" from April to November, but they do not specify that on the English brochure. You can send an e-mail to the tourist office and ask.

http://turismo.comune.modena.it/engl...lo-and-fiorano

Between Maranello and Sassuolo there are public bus, and the historical centre is very pretty to spend an hour. Of course Modena is your best choice if you have more time, at least half day (including travels).

I think the best thing to do is send an e-mail to the tourist office, they'll give you any info about transport and tourism facilities, this isn't a real international touristic area but for the Ferrari Factory and museum.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandralist.

We also plan to day trip in Modena, probably the same day as we go to Maranello. Maybe we will schedule the Ferrari excursion for Saturday afternoon (if possible) so that I can choose to visit Castello di Spezzano -or- stay back in Modena if I'm not ready to leave it yet. Then i can take a later bus to meet him in Maranello. I read that the bus runs every hour & it is a half hour ride.

We were planning on taking the bus to Maranello from Modena. I would then take a taxi to the castle & back to Ferrari. I might not mind walking either but I'm not sure I'll have the daylight, we'll be there in mid October.

I want to receive my husband as he comes of the track because he will be positively beaming and I have a soft spot for him when he's like that. He will want me there to share the joy too.

Thank you for the info & the help with the English content.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:30 AM

Here is what it says, in English, on the Castello di Spezzano website:

"The Castle is open from May to November from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. with free entrance.
Groups and schools: book to visit all year round (tel. 0536/833412 –833418). Guided tours and laboratories: tel. 0536/833412."

I interpret that to mean that groups or schools can arrange for the castle to be opened for them at any time of the year, but not individuals. But if you are unable to go on a Saturday afternoon, then it is probably worth e-mailing [email protected] closer to your travel date to find out if perhaps a group that will be there during your time frame, and if anybody would mind if you walked in the door with them (or maybe they let people in on request, as ecovanovoce.

I don't wish to discourage you from going to Sassuolo. I've never been to that particular castle town, but the ones I have visited have been delightful discoveries. However, if for some reason you end up hanging out in Modena, it has lots of dimensions to enjoy.

Be careful about the midday bus schedules. Buses that generally run every half hour in Italy very often have a dead spot at the lunch hour so the driver has time to eat lunch. Also, be sure you know when the last bus from Maranello returns to Modena before scheduling the Ferrari track time. I know you know this, but bus schedules can be tricky. There is always a way to get a taxi to make up for a mistake, but prices of taxis in small towns can come as a shock if you are not used to them.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:43 AM

I'm sure sandralist could translate this better than me

"Da aprile ad ottobre: sabato e domenica dalle 15.00 alle 19.00. Novembre: sabato e domenica dalle 15.00 alle 18.00.
Apertura su richiesta: apertura a chiamata entro 1 ora
tel. 0536.833.412-833.438
dal martedì al venerdì
8.30-13.00
Su prenotazione tutto l'anno (almeno 3 giorni prima). Visite guidate su prenotazione: tel. 0536.833412"

source: http://www.castellidimodena.it/page....IDSezione=5850

but at the tourist office every info will be more update.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

That "tricky" bus situation - yep, that's why I thought killing my time nearer to the track might be a safer bet. Close enough that a taxi would be reasonable and give me more flexibility in our timing. Bussing from Modena (and back) is definitely more complicated to coordinate.

If Castello di Spezzano ends up being ruled out for schedule reasons then I think I either need to just go with him to the track & wait it out in the cafe (I'm sure they have wifi, right?) *OR* Get him to meet me in Modena after the drive. One of those scenarios would be the logical thing to do.

Thanks to both of you for the very helpful info! I will start with an email to the Castle to figure it out.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:51 AM

Yes, now I see what you were referring to, ecovanavoce. The Italian version says that from April to November, the castle is always open on weekend afternoons, but on Tuesdays through Fridays between 8.30 am and 1pm, they will open it up on request if you call them one hour before your arrival. For the remainder of the year (winter), you must make a reservation 3 days in advance, and it also gives a number to arrange a guided tour.

But as ecovanavoce points out, the website could be out of date.

Hope you will let us know what you learn by e-mailing the castle, limmy!
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Well, this is what I found out - I'm afraid it's not very much! The Ferrari track drive excursion offered by Push Start is actually done in Modena, not Maranello.

I quit my pursuit of the Castello di Spezzano after finding that out. I can just enjoy some time in Modena while he does his drive. He or we would still need to go to Maranello for the museum if he or we decide to go. That bit is TBD for now.

Thank you for your time & help, I wish I could repay it with some info on the Castle!
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Are you interested in gastronomic products of the area?
I have done a visit to a balsamic vinegar fermentation facility on my own http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lognamilan.cfm

You can also sign up for a half day trip offered by several outfits to visit Parma ham, Parmesan cheese, and Balsamic vinegar producers.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Greg: Yes, we are interested! There is a day long tour called Italian Days that we are considering taking the day after we arrive in Bologna.

I know that we can arrange visits, tours, tastings, etc. on our own but taking the easy route is appealing in this instance. We won't have a car, and with limited time in the region I'd rather not fuss with the train & bus schedules, making multiple appointments, finding our way, etc.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I made note of Baroni Alimentari at Mercato Centrale since we will be stopping in Florence on our way to Bologna