Reload this Page >

What to do in less than 24hrs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Ely

Hello:<BR><BR>I will be flying to the middle east with connections in London LHR. On my return trip my flight does not leave till the following afternoon. Any suggestions about what to do or see in that short time (less than 24hrs)?<BR><BR>Thank you

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:27 AM
pray

Go to the nearest church and pray that you make it out of the middle east alive and in one piece. Why would you want to travel to the middle east? Fool!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Lynn

Ely<BR><BR>You could easily get out to Windsor and Eton spending the day out there. It is only around 15 - 30 minutes from Heathrow and there would be plenty to see in your time period without speding the time travelling or wearing yourself out before you trip. There are some lovely walks and villages along the Thames and the Castle and Eton are interesting in themselves. When I was there last the Eton boys were on holidays and I could go into Eton itself. It cost about 3 pounds but it was interesting to see the quad, the chapel and the museum.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:33 AM
PatrickW

Don't tie yourself down, timewise - do things that you can easily start and finish to suit yourself. <BR><BR>Take a hop-on/hop-off bus tour.<BR><BR>If the weather's nice enough, stretch your legs with a walk - either through Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park/St James's Park, or along the river, or on Hampstead Heath. <BR><BR>Find a place where you can sit in comfort to watch the world go by. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Patrick

I was trying hard to ignore the inane ranting of &quot;pray&quot;, but just can't do it. I'm amazed at how some people like to judge others without knowing anything. <BR>Pray, did it ever occur to you that possibly Ely is from the middle east? Maybe his mother is dying and this is the last chance he will get to see her. Maybe his sister is getting married. Maybe his work is sending him there. Maybe he works for the US State Department and is going on a peace mission.<BR><BR>Who made you God?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Ely

Is because such ignorant people like pray in the world that the situation is as it is. The reason im going to the middle is none of your business since this is a forum for London right?. To the rest of you thanks for your comments.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 03:13 PM
susan

I had a 24 hour delay while changing planes and had a fabulous time in London during my short tenure. I checked into the Connaught hotel early afternoon then walked to the Marble Arch and boarded a double decker bus tour. The Big Brown Bus was an incredible to see the sights and it made it seem as if my trip was much longer than the reality. I had bought an online advance ticket for a turn on the BA London Eye at dusk then I capped off the night at Gordon Ramsay's incredible restaurant taking advantage of staying at a Savoy group hotel. Next morning I was up early and back on the double decker bus for another tour loop as my ticket was good for 24 hours from time of purchase. It was a memorable time even though it was just a taste of London.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Sheila

Susan's tour sounds terrific, but it wouldn't be cheap

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 05:08 AM
xxx

To &quot;pray hard&quot;. The world would be a better place if everyone followed your advice to go to a church. And started dismantling, one brick at a time.<BR><BR>8 billion hands working together and this job could be done in no time.<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Sam

I think each terminal in LHR has places to store your luggage. Either that or don't bring much carry-on luggage.<BR><BR>Consider the Heathrow Express as the Underground is cheap but is slow and will cut into your valuable time.<BR><BR>Consider Windsor (to the west) or pick a place in London that you want to see.<BR><BR>There's a reason there are flights to the Middle East. There is commerce and there are people that need to go there. Those who ridicule you also fill up their cars with Kuwaiti or Saudi oil which, in some cases, was drilled from facilities developed by Exxon, Mobil, and others.